Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3600      
       3602              4321       4322       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3601 #1 · p.3601 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Jeff, That's a very cool capture. I'm assuming you were standing in the same thunderstorm I admire your tenacity! The one way in the background is the icing on the cake.

Thanks Jim. Despite my attempts to stay dry, wet and cold was the order of the day. This is how we get vapor shots in AZ. One part pea sized hail, one part heavy rain, and one part a 30* drop in temp. Mix them together liberally and you get vapor trails

Mar 09, 2013 at 03:21 PM
BillyBlaylock

p.3601 #2 · p.3601 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Speaking just between us, and the zillions of folks who lurk here, and I'll probably get blasted by a handful of ISAP complainers, but here it is. There's something in my business acumen that tells me teaching your potential competition, in bulk, techniques that will save them a decade or more of getting up to speed, isn't the brightest thing one can do.

Jim,

As a new guy trying to finally get started in commercial photography I struggle with many of the same issues you describe learning how to light, attract clients and gather enough gear to do an effective job at it but I completely agree that no one should be spoon fed all the tricks of the trade. Your shots have consistently been top notch and your experience shows in every one of them. I learn as much from my mistakes as I do my successes. In many ways, someone that earns skills through self evaluation and trial and error will place a greater value on those skills and be able to adapt to changes. Point me toward the mountain, don't climb it for me.

Yes I want to have a grand client list and make those jaw dropping shots and I am sure that I will one day - but I will have worked for it. Not that we all don't need a little help and support once in a while, just prop me up, point out the failure, give a bit of advice and send me back out to continue the journey. Trust me, I have realized that having a passion for photography and bring good at it are two vastly different things! And yes, I am that lurker that posts little but learns a lot just but being a small part of this community.

Keep up the good work Jim. You are leading a unique group here, very few spaces on the web have the character contained by this collection of men and women.

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3601 #3 · p.3601 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

When there is severe Wx coming, its time to leave Dodge (PHX)...

Mar 09, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Cicopo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3601 #4 · p.3601 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff, you could always come up north & shoot them through some blowing snow.

That's a very busy looking flight line. I assume it's a hub for a few airlines.

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:42 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3601 #5 · p.3601 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Going vertical.

Mar 09, 2013 at 05:51 PM
Cicopo
• • •
p.3601 #6 · p.3601 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great angle. I've got one from the side with less vapor but I prefer yours.

Mar 09, 2013 at 06:34 PM
Leftcoast_Mike

p.3601 #7 · p.3601 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
Westjet received their 100th Boeing 737 a little while ago. It's official tail number is C-GAWS, but I'm not sure how to track it...it has a hash tag on it for the 100th

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=C-GAWS

more just useless trivia than anything

Still the youngest fleet of 737's I believe.

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:17 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3601 #8 · p.3601 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hello Larry, Just so you know that we pay attention …. that little Miles sure gets around ….

… sorry about the re-post – and no, I don't think “mine” is any more the real thing than your R/C!

BTW – has anyone hear from bobl lately ? … it's been some time, you know.

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:44 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3601 #9 · p.3601 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nick Bob is alive and kicking sometimes see him post on FB

Mar 09, 2013 at 07:56 PM
bobl
• • • •
p.3601 #10 · p.3601 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm here... just don't have much to say

Mar 09, 2013 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nickjohnson
• • •
p.3601 #11 · p.3601 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

bobl wrote:
I'm here... just don't have much to say

Glad your OK bob ... here you go...

Mar 09, 2013 at 10:17 PM
bobl
• • • •
p.3601 #12 · p.3601 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well done! Very well done, Nick!!!

Mar 09, 2013 at 10:26 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3601 #13 · p.3601 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My pleasure bob. I just looked around and nobody is minding the store – so here is another.

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3601 #14 · p.3601 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sunbathing..

Edited on Mar 10, 2013 at 03:40 AM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:57 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3601 #15 · p.3601 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Lago Vista Airport...

Glenn

Mar 09, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3601 #16 · p.3601 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Out of the wild orange yonder..

Glenn

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Chainshot
• •
p.3601 #17 · p.3601 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Twelve hours of Sebring, next weekend. I can't remember the shooter here that went to Petit Le Mans ? I've been to almost every PLM, never Sebring. It is soooo tempting.

Mar 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3601 #18 · p.3601 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Geaux,

That kind of spirit and drive will serve you well my friend, and you are so very right. When I was starting out, heck, when I was 10 years into my pro career, if someone had dropped all the gear I have now on my doorstep, it would have only served to confuse me. Just about every piece of equipment I own is the result of my technique growing to the point I realized what tool I needed to advance a bit further. That progression, as you so accurately noted, is a considerably deeper experience when compared to attending a seminar and walking out all pumped. You cultivate a depth of knowledge and experience that you can draw from and adapt to just about any situation in which you find yourself.

I can't accurately describe the frustration that overwhelmed me in the early years when I was faced with a complex lighting situation. Part of the frustration came from recognizing that there was a shot to be taken, at the same time recognizing that I had not a clue how to harness the volume and mixed light that was bombarding the scene. I can clearly remember standing in a new building on the UT Austin campus and being so frustrated and intimidated by the existing mix of light, and my pitifully inadequate "Novatron" light system. In retrospect, I might as well have tackled the scene with a Maglight What I know now has been hard won for sure, but I know it, and I know every variation of it, and can apply as much or as little of it as a situation might require. Can a good seminar help you in that direction? Sure, but it's the day to day challenges and solutions that really create the kind of confident knowledge base that a commercial shooter really needs.

You are exactly the kind of person I love to help, because you get it. Kind of like that hard working air to air shooter in Austin that keeps hitting them over the fence. Don't ever hesitate to ask, it would be my pleasure.

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:19 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3601 #19 · p.3601 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful land/sea scapes Nick!

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3601 #20 · p.3601 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

For our Texas contingent, not sure what access will be like, but some of the MotoGP grid will be taking to COTA Tuesday - Thursday this week.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/Texas+poised+to+welcome+MotoGP+regulars

Mar 10, 2013 at 01:22 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password