Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              4133       4134       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Guys,

I have tried to begin this "sequel" thread about five times, but it wouldn't let me. Let's see if it will go through this time.

JW

Dec 29, 2007 at 04:16 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

OKAY!!

We're back in business. The service has been so intermittent that I finally gave up wishing you all a great Christmas! Hope you're all getting in a little R&R before the onslaught of 2008 hits. I appreciate all your posts when Mustangs I got locked. I felt like I lost a friend, well actually, a couple hundred friends! I'm sure Fred and the boys will get this ironed out. I'm doing a little research on how we might be able to recreate this on my website or a blog.

It's good to be back in touch. I think JBear is "hanging ten" out in the blue water, poor guy! I expect some great shots from that trip!!

JW

Dec 29, 2007 at 04:22 PM
Henry W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good luck. I hope it flies (pun intended) :-)

Dec 29, 2007 at 04:23 PM
Tentacle
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

New years resolution: To finally get those shots scanned that I took as a 13 year old with dad's Canon AE-1Program manual focus camera, back in... I dunno, must have been 1988 or so.

[edit]

Might as well put it here for posterity. For now you can find the original thread here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/462776

Later on it will probably end up archived, in which case the link will point to an intermediate page with the link to the archived thread.

[/edit]

Edited by Tentacle on Dec 30, 2007 at 06:41 PM GMT

Edited on Dec 30, 2007 at 05:41 PM

Dec 29, 2007 at 05:17 PM
markperez
• • •
p.1 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Now that it is going again here is my contribution

Dec 29, 2007 at 05:30 PM
tom cardin
• • •
p.1 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We're back! Happy New Year.. We are ennding up the Old Year with 10 below and no natural gas., at least undependable. Good stash of wood, though.
Tom

Dec 29, 2007 at 05:45 PM
BA31Driver
• • •
p.1 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yahoo, max power!

This was the first time I had my 1D3 out in the cold for a longer period of time, and my PP skills could've been better for this one I think:

Dec 29, 2007 at 07:42 PM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This was taken back in 2003 with a new D100 and a cheap lens. Iíd been away from photography for a good number of years at this time, and my post processing skills have improved since I did this. I just looked thru the folder of photos from that day, and I might reprocess this one, and a few more from that day.

This is a replica of a Hughes Air Racer built only a few miles from where I took this photo. Unfortunately, the aircraft was destroyed and the owner/builder killed a year or so after I took this photo. This was the first fly-in the aircraft was flown to after being built.

________
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Nikon stuff

Dec 29, 2007 at 08:30 PM
MustangsX2
• •
p.1 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yeeehaaa! Wooohooo!

Dec 29, 2007 at 08:32 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Did anyone catch this Global slipping in at Sunrise? The owner is a gentleman named Blair Thomas, Blair is a captain of industry, (obviously), and must have the heart of a fighter pilot, a British fighter pilot. He flew in to GML and spent the day, then gracefully slipped out at sunset, ahhh! The perks of being a multi-billionaire.

JW

Dec 29, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful light.....

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:06 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One of their last performances.....

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:16 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wingspar wrote:
This was taken back in 2003 with a new D100 and a cheap lens. Iíd been away from photography for a good number of years at this time, and my post processing skills have improved since I did this. I just looked thru the folder of photos from that day, and I might reprocess this one, and a few more from that day.

This is a replica of a Hughes Air Racer built only a few miles from where I took this photo. Unfortunately, the aircraft was destroyed and the owner/builder killed a year or so after I took this photo.
...Show more

Gary

whew bud that is a great shot of the Hughes , so sad about the pilot and the airplane

J

Dec 29, 2007 at 11:58 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

John you're right, that is a great shot of a beautiful aircraft. He was having some difficulty with the engine or prop when he left AirVenture, but thought he could nurse it home for diagnosis and repair. That airframe is just a work of art, I would have loved an opportunity to spend a couple of days with it on the ground and in the air.

JW

Dec 30, 2007 at 12:16 AM
Wingspar
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
John you're right, that is a great shot of a beautiful aircraft. He was having some difficulty with the engine or prop when he left AirVenture, but thought he could nurse it home for diagnosis and repair. That airframe is just a work of art, I would have loved an opportunity to spend a couple of days with it on the ground and in the air.

JW

A sad day in the aviation world it was too. I had the privilege of being at the home airport where the Hughes Air Racer was built the day of itís first flight ever. Unfortunately, we arrived just minutes too late to see the aircraft fly, but I did get into the hangar when the engine was still warm from itís first flight.

A few photos while the engine was still warm from itís maiden flight. These photos were taken on August 3, 2002 with a P&S camera, so the quality isnít too good.

The landing gear wheel wells in the leading edge of the left wing.

The cockpit. I couldnít really aim the camera. Just stick my arm into the cockpit, and shoot. Only took one shot.

Dec 30, 2007 at 02:27 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another Red Baron shot from August in WI,

And a few of Moonbeam McSwine,

Dec 30, 2007 at 02:57 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Gary,

Those shots really show some of the intricate detail that was put into the Hughes Replica. What a shame, of course more for the loss of the man, the visionary man responsible for it's creation. Then for the loss of such a beautiful creation. We pilots/builders are a funny group, we spend thousands of hours creating these beautiful winged machines and in the process, sometimes we forget that they are machines and they don't have the emotional involvement with us that we have come to feel with them. No matter the time we've spent thinking, inventing, creating them from raw materials, we can't succumb to the familiarity we've gained during their gestation, we have to force ourselves to view them as machines, and machines that will kill us in the blink of an eye at the first dropping of our guard. I guess in some weird way, that's part of the romance and intrigue, part of the adventure. You've got to admit, to the average folk in this world, a person who fabricates a machine the single purpose of which is to lift him or her to the clouds, is somewhat of an eccentric adventurer, even today.

I'm sure you realize that your photos here were taken one year and one day before Jim Wright lost his life his H-1. Aviation history is filled with ironies.

JW

Dec 30, 2007 at 03:22 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

TKI's finished runway and taxiways.......

Dec 30, 2007 at 03:35 AM
BA31Driver
• • •
p.1 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I love how fast this thread is growing. Was playing around with mode 2 today. Wx wasn't the greatest, but we had an unusual visitor today, so had to stop and play with the 1Dmk3. IS Mode 2 is nice, but you certainly can't take it for granted. My panning needs some refining, or practice, or maybe I should stop drinking coffee...?

Dec 30, 2007 at 03:43 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Pat,

Nice shot. Your panning looks fine to me, the leading edge of the wing is plenty sharp. That's a pretty low contrast scene too.

This shot is an interesting result. Shutter is 200, shot with the MKIII. At first blush it appears it's not sharp, but if you really look at it, it's razor sharp from the spinner, across the top and on through the vertical stabilizer. The motion is from the rolling action on the aircraft's centerline axis. The MkIII did exactly what it was asked. And, this guy was rolling at about 720 a second!

JW

Dec 30, 2007 at 04:06 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password