Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3488      
       3490              4395       4396       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3489 #1 · p.3489 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome back Mike,

That is very cool! Those guys have a lot of time on their hands!

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3489 #2 · p.3489 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Oh boy Rodolfo, that "unnamed" person is going to be on the owing end of a lot of honey do's for the forseeable future..............

No kidding.

And, as though the passport misplacement weren't enough, we've just discovered that Daniela's Macbook Pro was in my briefcase so I could carry it for her during the trip. She's in Guatemala, but her computer is here. It just keeps getting better...

I'm going to take the next 48 hours to do a full backup and reattempt the Mountain Lion upgrade that caused us four days worth of headaches the first time. Maybe if I have her computer tuned up and in tip-top shape she'll be more inclined to be merciful with the unnamed...

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:36 PM
david russell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3489 #3 · p.3489 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I made a trip to both the Adorama and B&H shops in New York today. B&H never ceases to amaze me. That store is a study in consumerism...and crazy automation. Got out of there for less than $100!

I any of you don't get enough of a workout from swinging 400,500 or 800 mm lenses, the B&H used equipment shop has a Sigma f2.8 200-500 zoom on the shelf right now. At ~34 lbs, that thing is a BEAST!

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:40 PM
PDumm
• •
p.3489 #4 · p.3489 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Looks like they taped over the cabin air vent; how cold was it, Paul?

High 40's low 50's.
(Please remember, Desert rat, any thing lower then 75 is cold)

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:46 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3489 #5 · p.3489 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

For those of you that have purchased iMacs, can I ask what specs you got? I'm looking at the 27 inch 2.9 ghz with either a 1tb or 3tb drive. I've already ordered additional RAM from OWC to bump it up to 24gb.

Thanks.

Gero

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:23 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3489 #6 · p.3489 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You did great David! I haven't been within 1,500 miles of the store and they've cost me 10 grand in the last six months!!

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:30 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3489 #7 · p.3489 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

PDumm wrote:
High 40's low 50's.

And 5000 feet up it's another 15F colder than whatever it is on the ground.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:34 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3489 #8 · p.3489 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve could help you the most because it's all fresh in his mind. I always go with the fastest processor because it's going to be out of date about the time it hits my doorstep. The new models offer the fusion combination. If I order a new 27" it'll be with the 3TB fusion option, which I think bumps it a couple of hundred bucks. They are only offering two graphic card options. My understanding is, if you do any video rendering, the faster card will be better for you. Basically you end up in the $2900 neighborhood before NAPP/Apple Small Business discounts. You should be able to get $150 or so off of the street price with one of those two discounts.

Apple told me that their production has slowed due to the painstakingly precise manufacturing techniques employed on the new iMacs, so delivery times from both the store, and or Cupertino are stretching out a bit more than anticipated.

Dr. Zim seems to think it's all worth it so far. I'd buy two if my work would come out looking like his on them!!

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:41 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3489 #9 · p.3489 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

PDumm wrote:
High 40's low 50's.

Bottom line is there are aesthetically acceptable ways to do things, and then there are folks who slap Frog Tape on the leading edge of a classic. There's just no accounting for taste..........

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:44 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3489 #10 · p.3489 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I flew the Cub a week or so ago and it was 34 degrees. I'm certain that the knob is not connected to anything and it's just there for some small psychological advantage, but I pulled it out to allow for "max" cabin heat. Brian always says something to me while I'm in the run up area, like, "those doors and windows do close ya know", to which I reply, "No, I really don't know."

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3489 #11 · p.3489 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
No kidding.

And, as though the passport misplacement weren't enough, we've just discovered that Daniela's Macbook Pro was in my briefcase so I could carry it for her during the trip. She's in Guatemala, but her computer is here. It just keeps getting better...

I'm going to take the next 48 hours to do a full backup and reattempt the Mountain Lion upgrade that caused us four days worth of headaches the first time. Maybe if I have her computer tuned up and in tip-top shape she'll be more inclined to be merciful with the unnamed...

So, is it safe to assume we won't be seeing you at very many aviation events this year.......?

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:53 PM
bobl
• • • •
p.3489 #12 · p.3489 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Group,

The wx around these here parts has been/is rather uncooperative, read rain/wind/sleet/hail/sun/rain/wind/rain/wind/li'l sun/rain, etc etc ad nauseum. However, I thought I'd show you what it looks like SOMETIMES.

Here is Moonshine Over Alsea...

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3489 #13 · p.3489 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
So, is it safe to assume we won't be seeing you at very many aviation events this year.......?

Very many, no.

But at the very least I'll make the trip out to Alliance, plus I hope to attend a couple of the Florida shows. Photoshop World will take a four-day bite out of my calendar, too.

Our most likely targets for "summer family trip" are Alaska and Colorado at this point in time, so that will create some additional shooting opportunities.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:38 AM
david russell
• • •
p.3489 #14 · p.3489 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
You did great David! I haven't been within 1,500 miles of the store and they've cost me 10 grand in the last six months!!

I played with the 1Dx for a bit, but set it down and decided to wait for you to tire of yours. I did get a nifty little monocular that I've been wanting for the briefcase for a long while.

Oh, and it is much harder to spend money in person at B&H than at the web site.....they actually kicked me out of line to try again when they learned that I hadn't followed their process.....their unpublished process.....how odd....

Edited on Jan 07, 2013 at 02:20 AM · View previous versions

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:51 AM
jkanaly

p.3489 #15 · p.3489 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I am a long time lurker here, love air shows, have shot a few (I live about 40 minutes south of Dayton) and have learned much from the group. The recent conversation around hard drives has motivated me to start moving old images from DVDs to an external drive. I switched to Macs in 2007, and have found that when I transfer images from the DVDs to the HD connected to my Mac, any images that were post processed (in PS Elements at the time) are not recognized on my Mac, either in Preview, or in Photoshop. I have a Windows laptop at work, and all images are viewable. Is there a solution to this, or am I forever chained to Windows if I want to view what are the better images on my old DVDs? I appreciate the help, just wish I had more time to contribute, or better said, learn more from all of you. Thanks,

Jim

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:09 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3489 #16 · p.3489 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

jkanaly wrote:
I am a long time lurker here, love air shows, have shot a few (I live about 40 minutes south of Dayton) and have learned much from the group. The recent conversation around hard drives has motivated me to start moving old images from DVDs to an external drive. I switched to Macs in 2007, and have found that when I transfer images from the DVDs to the HD connected to my Mac, any images that were post processed (in PS Elements at the time) are not recognized on my Mac, either in Preview, or in Photoshop. I have a
...Show more

This may seem like a silly question, but what file format are these images in? That may provide a clue as to why only the PC can read them.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:05 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3489 #17 · p.3489 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Attaboy Brian, you're just the guy to help. One can run into this kind of problem with new RAW files and an older version of Camera RAW, but I don't know what would cause a JPEG or a TIFF of any vintage to be unreadable.

Oh! Welcome Jim!! We'll help you figure it out.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:32 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3489 #18 · p.3489 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Fun day..........................

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:57 AM
jkanaly

p.3489 #19 · p.3489 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

They are all jpeg's, with the exception of a few psd files on some where I was doing a bit more processing. Those would not open in Photoshop, either. I am using PS5, LR3, and still have PSE9, none of which work. Thanks for the help.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:40 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3489 #20 · p.3489 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

So the .psd, yeah that will not open in anything native on pc or mac, that is Adobe native. The jpg one confuses me because at the very least Preview should open them up on the Mac. Let's try some things to isolate.

Try if you can, taking some of those jpg files and while on the PC, and put them on a flash drive to see if the Mac will read them there. If they can then we know it is a dvd issue and not the files themselves.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:08 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password