Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3485      
       3487              4286       4287       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3486 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Paul Allen. :P
I think he owns enough airplanes to call him "in the airplane business" anyway.

*edit* ah shoot. I'm at work, here's one that I happened to have kicking around:

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:40 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3486 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Erich, lovely shot of that 15! Love the paint job!

Thanks Dan. This is something I feel the call to do, so I'm going to see if I have what it takes to get into the program, as it's a two year wait list, but if you do well academically, they'll accelerate you through the list, after you take the assessment test. I did the "work full time, take care of kids, school full time" scene in the late 90's/early 2000's when my kids were teenagers to get my associates, which was from a for profit school, and doesn't transfer anywhere, among other things. This time, I can concentrate a little better on the subjects

DanNehmer wrote:
Laura,

That is awesome!!!! I wish you all the best, I went back for my masters in engineering after working several years. It was a fantastic experience, hard work, long hours, and still one fantastic experience. Good luck! And if you lived in Iowa I'd be happy to tutor math and science.

Dan

Jay, love that Horseshoe Bend shot.

Mike, love the eagle shots. I'll have to email the group around here that shoots the pair we have and seeing about meeting up with them in between studying

Sounds like a lot of fun Jim. Looking forward to the disclosure

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Not at liberty to disclose anything at this moment, but I've got a little deal in the works at KTKI. If it all pans out it could be a sweet one. The suspense shouldn't last long, there's a short fuse on it. More to follow.

Rodolfo, looks like a wonderful vacation spot, and glad you're having so much fun with the small cam. I'm thinking that I should head to the airport in the morning and see how well mine does as a TC on the zoom lenses on the commercial arrivals and departures

And so glad your dad is doing well, keep him at that PT and rehab I'm glad I did, it sure helped with my shoulder after rotator cuff surgery 2.5 years ago

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I'm enjoying my new little Nikon. The IQ is definitely not in DSLR territory... but considering it stayed with me at all times whereas the D800/24-70/70-200 certainly wouldn't have gone everywhere with me -- including waist-deep into the ocean surf -- I guess the best camera is the one you brought with you.

My home-away-from-home for the last four days... where the pool and the ocean were so good, even the hammock didn't get much use! First shot is of the main house from the pool, while the night shot is of the "rancho" area, between the pool
...Show more

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3486 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Flying Nightmares Harrier returning from the range to MCAS Yuma.

PLACEBO DELIVERY SERVICE

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3486 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
That's what I do, currently I manage to squeeze everything on one 1.5TB drive, which I duplicate and keep the second offsite. But I'm creating images faster than the price of storage is going down. So I don't think I'll be able to stay with a single drive much longer.

I could retire the two 1.5 TB drives as mirror images of one another and then start over with 3TB or so, but those 1.5TB drives won't get much exercise and I'll be worried about them. I guess that's where I'll need to start looking at an array.

Mark, I've found that the price of storage is not linear -- ie, bigger is cheaper per unit of storage -- such that it's always been worthwhile for me to sell the older hard drives and just keep the newer, larger ones. In your case, I'd suggest something like this Seagate 3TB for $139. Get two of those, move all your files to your new drives, find someone to take your older 1.5TB drives off your hands for $75 each, and you're good to go for awhile.

The next time you need to upgrade, you may find that it's better to add another two external drives just like the ones you get now, or maybe make the two external drives your backup drives and add internal hard drives to your computer. The latter is usually cheaper, but not always... it's worth checking prices at the time you actually need to upgrade.

BTW, I continue to use SyncBack SE from 2BrightSparks to keep all my live data synchronized and to do my backups. Best $35 I've spent in many years.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3486 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Have those of you who are backing up to DVDs considered burning onto blu-ray discs, which are supposed to hold 50gb of data?

Gero, I'm a big believer in hard-drive storage. Optical discs (CD, DVD, even BR) can all be scratched or corrupted fairly easily, and I worry about being able to read them years down the line. They're also a much slower and lower-capacity solution than hard drives. And they're off-line storage... you can only get to the data on the disk you currently have inserted. Too much of a hassle for me, with no real payback in my eyes. I just don't think they're as good a solution as a plain ole hard drive, with its MTBF of hundreds of thousands of hours, fully-online storage, high speed, total compatibility, and compact size (even portability).

Optical disks have a high cost, too. Large hard drives are about 5.0 cents/GB ($150 for 3TB), while cheap off-brand 50GB BD-R DL disks in a 25-pack come out to 9.3 cents/GB and even a 100-pack of Verbatim 4.7GB DVD-R disks costs 6.2 cents/GB. Hard drives are better, faster, cheaper, safer, and more trustworthy IMHO than any optical disk you can throw at me.

Not that I have strong opinions on the matter or anything...

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:32 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3486 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My strategy when it comes to archiving data is to keep everything I've ever done digitally on the current computer's internal disks or attached external storage. My backup strategy covers both, which means that I don't have to worry about old data storage protocols and/or media: As disk space becomes cheaper and disk drives hold more data, I just copy everything to new disk drives every two or three years and let the old media go. Much better, in my opinion, than worrying about the shelf life of a bunch of floppy disks, CD's, DVD's and Zip drives. (And, yes, I still have some data tape reels from a DEC PDP-4 in storage, not that I need them for anything.) Even if the media is good, who still has the (working) equipment to read Zip drives and reel-to-reel computer tapes?

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:01 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3486 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

skyhawkpilot wrote:
Your welcome! I have plenty more where those came from. I personally have not taken the Then and Now tour, but I did see a lot of the older launch complexes while I covered NASA/Air Force Launches in college. I didn't sleep for a while after that tour, or before and after any of the shuttle missions I was fortunate witness. I kept having dreams of going into space. Then woke up and realized, I wasn't. I always wanted to go to at least space camp, but never did.

Yeah sleep while covering missions was hard to come by, especially from the time of RSS through launch, great times had even if only for 2 missions

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:50 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3486 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mike, those Strike Eagles are stunning! Nicely done

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:52 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3486 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
My strategy when it comes to archiving data is to keep everything I've ever done digitally on the current computer's internal disks or attached external storage. My backup strategy covers both, which means that I don't have to worry about old data storage protocols and/or media: As disk space becomes cheaper and disk drives hold more data, I just copy everything to new disk drives every two or three years and let the old media go. Much better, in my opinion, than worrying about the shelf life of a bunch of floppy disks, CD's, DVD's and Zip drives. (And, yes,
...Show more

Or Jazz drives I am one to agree with the internal mixed with external for backing up, add on top of that online ftp as well when the monthly ISP bandwidth isn't exceeded

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:58 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3486 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Man as some of you know I do a bit in scale modeling just been searching for some decals in different scales mostly 1/48 and 1/32 scale just came about 3 sets in 1/32 scale.
For a specific B25 i can't believe it but Kitsworld from the Uk just released 2 sets in 1/32 scale of the Pacific Prowler and Devil Dog only drawback is that they are only available in 1/32 scale the third set is for the Gunfighter P51 I think i'm going to shoot them a mail if there are plans for releasing them in 1/48 scale in the near future as i don't have the room for 1/32 scale B25 maybe just one but certainly not for two..
Very cool lets see if i can show some of them...

Devil Dog

Only can show the page's of the Prowler and Gunfighter
Pacific Prowler
P51D Gunfighter

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sozypozy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3486 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Such clarity in the plane picture. Amazing shot.

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 08:15 PM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:04 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3486 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Or Jazz drives I am one to agree with the internal mixed with external for backing up, add on top of that online ftp as well when the monthly ISP bandwidth isn't exceeded

I have two SCSI based Jazz drives and one SCSI Zip drive to hand

Rob

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:11 PM
USM IS
• • •
p.3486 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Mike, those Strike Eagles are stunning! Nicely done

Thank you sir! Mike

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3486 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I was remiss in not giving you an "attaboy" as well for those Strike Eagle shots, Mike. The first one especially is world-class pro material... no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Smoking captures.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3486 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

RobMoser wrote:
I have two SCSI based Jazz drives and one SCSI Zip drive to hand

You also have a rather unique penchant for older gear, Rob, along with the technical skills to keep using it in environments where the average consumer -- heck, the average IT guy -- would have long since given up the chase. I'm sure your 500P would agree.

Not only do you have the only Jazz and Zip drives I know to be still in operation, you have the only SCSI devices I know to be still in operation. Mine all went west a long time ago.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3486 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Rodolfo, looks like a wonderful vacation spot, and glad you're having so much fun with the small cam. I'm thinking that I should head to the airport in the morning and see how well mine does as a TC on the zoom lenses on the commercial arrivals and departures

And so glad your dad is doing well, keep him at that PT and rehab I'm glad I did, it sure helped with my shoulder after rotator cuff surgery 2.5 years ago.

Thanks, Laura... I'll do my best to help keep his chin up. The "vacation spot" is a jewel indeed, but it's not mine. Thank God for that, I'd hate to be responsible for its upkeep. Better to be a guest sometimes.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:56 PM
USM IS
• • •
p.3486 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I was remiss in not giving you an "attaboy" as well for those Strike Eagle shots, Mike. The first one especially is world-class pro material... no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Smoking captures.

Thank you Rodolfo, not remiss at all. Just a little twist on air worthy birds.

Mike

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3486 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

USM IS wrote:
Thank you Rodolfo, not remiss at all. Just a little twist on air worthy birds.

Poppycock.

If I'd shot that first image, I'd have a 40x60 of it up on my office wall within a week.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:18 AM
ELinder
• •
p.3486 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wish I had used a slightly slower shutter speed on this one, but I was so excited the Raptor showed up for the passes I forgot to reset the camera.

Erich

ELinder 2012

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:57 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3486 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Steve and Rodolfo on the drive storage thoughts. I like Steve's approach, which is what I'm currently able to do with just two external drives plus the internal 1TB laptop drive. And yes, right now the next step would be to move from the 1.5TB drives I'm using now to 3TB. That seems to be the current sweet spot drive size - 4TB drives jump to almost $400 each.

What I'm worried about is at my current pace, I may fill the 3TB drives before the next generation (5TB or 6TB?) are affordable, and then I'll have to consider some kind of an array, I guess. I really should just stop worrying, and deal with it if it happens.

Mark

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:02 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password