Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3484      
       3486              4873       4874       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

DanNehmer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3485 #1 · p.3485 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mike,

Awesome work on the "Strike Eagles". Those are wonderful shots.

Dan

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:50 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3485 #2 · p.3485 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mike,

So happy you are enjoying the IV. You are very kind Buddy, but the quality of those images is all about the hands holding the camera, nicely done! How about I come up and shoot some eagles with you sometime?

JW

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:59 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3485 #3 · p.3485 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not at liberty to disclose anything at this moment, but I've got a little deal in the works at KTKI. If it all pans out it could be a sweet one. The suspense shouldn't last long, there's a short fuse on it. More to follow.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:02 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3485 #4 · p.3485 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very sketchy at this point but if we can put together some cool subjects to shoot over Northern California, who would be in for a photo seminar followed by an invitation to shoot with me on the B25? PM or email me if you're interested and I'll keep you apprised as things solidify. We have one beautiful 51 and a Mustang Jock with a big smile confirmed, working on more.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:11 AM
USM IS
• • •
p.3485 #5 · p.3485 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Mike,

So happy you are enjoying the IV. You are very kind Buddy, but the quality of those images is all about the hands holding the camera, nicely done! How about I come up and shoot some eagles with you sometime?

JW

I would be dang proud to shoot Eagles with you anytime sir!

Mike

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:26 AM
USM IS
• • •
p.3485 #6 · p.3485 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

DanNehmer wrote:
Mike,

Awesome work on the "Strike Eagles". Those are wonderful shots.

Dan

Thank you very much Dan. You need to come over to #14 sometime!

Mike

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:39 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3485 #7 · p.3485 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm enjoying my new little Nikon. The IQ is definitely not in DSLR territory... but considering it stayed with me at all times whereas the D800/24-70/70-200 certainly wouldn't have gone everywhere with me -- including waist-deep into the ocean surf -- I guess the best camera is the one you brought with you.

My home-away-from-home for the last four days... where the pool and the ocean were so good, even the hammock didn't get much use! First shot is of the main house from the pool, while the night shot is of the "rancho" area, between the pool and the Pacific.

Edited to fix the copyright year.

NIKON 1 V1    1 NIKKOR VR PD-Zoom 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    10mm    f/6.3    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON 1 V1    1 NIKKOR VR PD-Zoom 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    29mm    f/6.3    1/125s    160 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON 1 V1    1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens    10mm    f/3.5    1s    720 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jan 03, 2013 at 05:22 AM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3485 #8 · p.3485 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The first sunset of the new year, and I'm happy to report that Dad is doing just fiiiiiine...

NIKON 1 V1    1 NIKKOR VR PD-Zoom 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    100mm    f/5.6    1/400s    280 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON 1 V1    1 NIKKOR VR PD-Zoom 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    58mm    f/5.6    1/80s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON 1 V1    1 NIKKOR VR PD-Zoom 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    100mm    f/6.3    1/160s    400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3485 #9 · p.3485 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo, glad your father is doing well. I guess that Houston humidity didn't hurt.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:22 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3485 #10 · p.3485 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not at all, the old man is doing swimmingly. I always say, the first miracle is that he's alive at all. The second, and entirely additional, miracle is that he's in such great condition. His memory -- especially his short-term memory -- is definitely very weak, and conversations now include lots of repetition; and his body is stiff and inflexible, so that walking and getting into or out of a chair is a big effort.

But he's of sound mind and body, he's "all there" including his sense of humor, and he may potentially have another 20 years of the good life ahead of him. He has to keep fighting and moving and taking therapy to avoid very rapid aging and decay... but he hasn't complained, and I'm sure as kittens not going to!

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3485 #11 · p.3485 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
A few days ago I was in a serious conversation with JR about what types of aircraft I'd like to own.

I decided to give this one some thought too when you mentioned it. First and foremost, I still want that PC-12. Nothing does more of the things I want to do, in the ways I want to do them, than that particular airplane. But time spent with this group, and at HQ, has also convinced me that I'd enjoy something small, slow, and that can be flown with the doors off. Don't know what that might be yet, or when.

For now, I'm grateful to have Emma. God bless that 414, and may she carry us many more miles yet.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:35 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3485 #12 · p.3485 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo - the images of your father are excellent. Great character in his face and a wonderful glow in his eyes. Terrific news on his good health.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:46 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3485 #13 · p.3485 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I decided to give this one some thought too when you mentioned it. First and foremost, I still want that PC-12. Nothing does more of the things I want to do, in the ways I want to do them, than that particular airplane..

Beechcraft is rumored to be coming up with plans for a Turboprop Single that they're claiming to be equal in performance characteristics...I read the article, it contains all kinds of interesting things about the possible future for beech.

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircraft/pistons/beechcraft-reveals-plans-new-turboprop-piston-models

Whether it would be wise to pursue an airplane from a manufacturer that has had some notable issues with finances of late is another question entirely.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:13 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3485 #14 · p.3485 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Who in the airplane business DOESNT have notable issue with finances of late?

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:13 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3485 #15 · p.3485 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Paul Allen. :P
I think he owns enough airplanes to call him "in the airplane business" anyway.

*edit* ah shoot. I'm at work, here's one that I happened to have kicking around:

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:40 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3485 #16 · p.3485 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Erich, lovely shot of that 15! Love the paint job!

Thanks Dan. This is something I feel the call to do, so I'm going to see if I have what it takes to get into the program, as it's a two year wait list, but if you do well academically, they'll accelerate you through the list, after you take the assessment test. I did the "work full time, take care of kids, school full time" scene in the late 90's/early 2000's when my kids were teenagers to get my associates, which was from a for profit school, and doesn't transfer anywhere, among other things. This time, I can concentrate a little better on the subjects

DanNehmer wrote:
Laura,

That is awesome!!!! I wish you all the best, I went back for my masters in engineering after working several years. It was a fantastic experience, hard work, long hours, and still one fantastic experience. Good luck! And if you lived in Iowa I'd be happy to tutor math and science.

Dan

Jay, love that Horseshoe Bend shot.

Mike, love the eagle shots. I'll have to email the group around here that shoots the pair we have and seeing about meeting up with them in between studying

Sounds like a lot of fun Jim. Looking forward to the disclosure

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Not at liberty to disclose anything at this moment, but I've got a little deal in the works at KTKI. If it all pans out it could be a sweet one. The suspense shouldn't last long, there's a short fuse on it. More to follow.

Rodolfo, looks like a wonderful vacation spot, and glad you're having so much fun with the small cam. I'm thinking that I should head to the airport in the morning and see how well mine does as a TC on the zoom lenses on the commercial arrivals and departures

And so glad your dad is doing well, keep him at that PT and rehab I'm glad I did, it sure helped with my shoulder after rotator cuff surgery 2.5 years ago

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I'm enjoying my new little Nikon. The IQ is definitely not in DSLR territory... but considering it stayed with me at all times whereas the D800/24-70/70-200 certainly wouldn't have gone everywhere with me -- including waist-deep into the ocean surf -- I guess the best camera is the one you brought with you.

My home-away-from-home for the last four days... where the pool and the ocean were so good, even the hammock didn't get much use! First shot is of the main house from the pool, while the night shot is of the "rancho" area, between the pool
...Show more

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:28 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3485 #17 · p.3485 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Flying Nightmares Harrier returning from the range to MCAS Yuma.

PLACEBO DELIVERY SERVICE

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:42 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3485 #18 · p.3485 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
That's what I do, currently I manage to squeeze everything on one 1.5TB drive, which I duplicate and keep the second offsite. But I'm creating images faster than the price of storage is going down. So I don't think I'll be able to stay with a single drive much longer.

I could retire the two 1.5 TB drives as mirror images of one another and then start over with 3TB or so, but those 1.5TB drives won't get much exercise and I'll be worried about them. I guess that's where I'll need to start looking at an array.

Mark, I've found that the price of storage is not linear -- ie, bigger is cheaper per unit of storage -- such that it's always been worthwhile for me to sell the older hard drives and just keep the newer, larger ones. In your case, I'd suggest something like this Seagate 3TB for $139. Get two of those, move all your files to your new drives, find someone to take your older 1.5TB drives off your hands for $75 each, and you're good to go for awhile.

The next time you need to upgrade, you may find that it's better to add another two external drives just like the ones you get now, or maybe make the two external drives your backup drives and add internal hard drives to your computer. The latter is usually cheaper, but not always... it's worth checking prices at the time you actually need to upgrade.

BTW, I continue to use SyncBack SE from 2BrightSparks to keep all my live data synchronized and to do my backups. Best $35 I've spent in many years.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3485 #19 · p.3485 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Have those of you who are backing up to DVDs considered burning onto blu-ray discs, which are supposed to hold 50gb of data?

Gero, I'm a big believer in hard-drive storage. Optical discs (CD, DVD, even BR) can all be scratched or corrupted fairly easily, and I worry about being able to read them years down the line. They're also a much slower and lower-capacity solution than hard drives. And they're off-line storage... you can only get to the data on the disk you currently have inserted. Too much of a hassle for me, with no real payback in my eyes. I just don't think they're as good a solution as a plain ole hard drive, with its MTBF of hundreds of thousands of hours, fully-online storage, high speed, total compatibility, and compact size (even portability).

Optical disks have a high cost, too. Large hard drives are about 5.0 cents/GB ($150 for 3TB), while cheap off-brand 50GB BD-R DL disks in a 25-pack come out to 9.3 cents/GB and even a 100-pack of Verbatim 4.7GB DVD-R disks costs 6.2 cents/GB. Hard drives are better, faster, cheaper, safer, and more trustworthy IMHO than any optical disk you can throw at me.

Not that I have strong opinions on the matter or anything...

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:32 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3485 #20 · p.3485 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My strategy when it comes to archiving data is to keep everything I've ever done digitally on the current computer's internal disks or attached external storage. My backup strategy covers both, which means that I don't have to worry about old data storage protocols and/or media: As disk space becomes cheaper and disk drives hold more data, I just copy everything to new disk drives every two or three years and let the old media go. Much better, in my opinion, than worrying about the shelf life of a bunch of floppy disks, CD's, DVD's and Zip drives. (And, yes, I still have some data tape reels from a DEC PDP-4 in storage, not that I need them for anything.) Even if the media is good, who still has the (working) equipment to read Zip drives and reel-to-reel computer tapes?

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:01 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password