Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3411      
       3413              4273       4274       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3412 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I read the link attached to Ram's post - $15k is for a whole year, and includes at least 4 races, so its really on $3500 for the F1 race! Now its getting to be a good deal...

edit - man i hate getting caught with my pants down on a top page post!

Glenn

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:48 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3412 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've been gone a few days; Marcia and I drove to Santa Fe for a long weekend. Of course, I brought the D800 along in case anything presented itself in the photographic line. Gotta love the late afternoon light in New Mexico...

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:22 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3412 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In the Rio Grande Gorge, south of Taos.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:52 AM
mikegeng
• •
p.3412 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Whoever wrote that MotoGP credentials are tough and limited is correct. They limit access to only 2-3 photogs from certain countries and for MotoGP at Indy this year I believe the total count was only around 33 or so photogs. They are one of the few series that also charges a fee, even for photojournalists, and it is STEEP. I tried shooting it this year and the publication didn't want to shell out the money as editorially it is not their sweet spot. Some tracks, depending on their agreement with the series or event, often have an allocation of vests they can give out. Again, depending on the series, you may have restrictions even with that vest on where you can go and what you can do. For IndyCar, if they catch you shooting video with your SLR....you be gone in a hurry. During a live race, only video guys on the start grid for certain series. It's all good though, plenty of good stuff to be had.

The best F1 photog, and perhaps just best racing photog, who truly makes art, is Darren Heath. He spends days before a race walking to discover the light and new shots versus prior years if he is going to the same facility. He is my benchmark in this game: http://www.darrenheath.com/

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.3412 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Angry wrote:
And ya gotta love that....good clients are great , great clients even better,...Clients who want to give something back,...even better again "

Al

You're right astrobrian...
" That's what friends are for ! "

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:44 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.3412 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim Adams wrote:
Corrugated boxes, for Packaging Corporation of America.

http://www.packagingcorp.com/pages/location/48.php?lid=8

Thanks Tim.

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:44 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3412 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You're right Mike, Darren Heath is exceptional.

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:49 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3412 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful NM images Zim.

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:51 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3412 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What is the deal with video restriction? Why is video such a no no when you can shoot all the still you want?

Nov 20, 2012 at 01:53 PM
ironhide

p.3412 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sometimes the influence my clients/friends have boggles my mind. I try not to grin in amazement, because one supposed to take it as the normal course of a day's events, it's not cool to chuckle, on the outside. Still, it's pretty difficult to keep a nonchalant demeanor when you're in Dallas in the morning and shooting in places like the Oval Office, the Supreme Court chambers or a Fortune 100 board room a few hours later. The abject terror and adrenaline associated with the task at hand helps to keep you grounded though. I rarely, very rarely, avail myself of
...Show more

I'm sure that it is also in no small measure due to the kind of stellar product you deliver and your initiative to take the time to develop relationships with them Jim.

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ironhide

p.3412 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just frustrating at times. Especially when walking to a farther/better spot is a chore brought on by a bad ankle.
Can CS6 content-aware fill do a number on the fence?

Nov 20, 2012 at 02:42 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3412 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thank you Ironhide. I am ever cognizant of the blessings I've had over the past 32 years, well 63 years actually. Doing what I do for a living is a dream come true, it's not the correct path for everyone, but it has certainly taught me a tremendous amount about myself, about dedication in the face of occasionally seemingly insurmountable obstacles, about people, about faith, and oh yeah, about photography. I guess I'll keep going and try to turn pro in a few years!

Re: content aware. I hope someone can help you with a trick I am unfamiliar with. My experience wit CA is love/hate. Occasionally it's a miracle, but often it creates a mess.

What did happened to your ankle? Hope you heal quickly.

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:05 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3412 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ram, I can empathise about the walking for miles with a bad leg thing...

OK folks, I have made a monster blog post about COTA, F1 and photography. Hope you enjoy it:
http://futurshox.blogspot.com/2012/11/formula-1-at-circuit-of-americas.html

Here's a shot of the flypast before the race for those who aren't into cars.

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:47 PM
ironhide

p.3412 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,
I tore a few ligaments while playing tennis

Jo,
Great and comprehensive post! A small correction - It is Heikki Kovalainen in that green car with a red helmet and not Schumacher (who drives for Mercedes GP, silver cars but same colour helmet). Did you get up onto the grandstands to shoot from turn 2?

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:06 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3412 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the correction! Fixed. Yes, we *ahem* snuck up there on Friday for a brief visit, although we didn't stay long. In retrospect, we should have hung out there as long as we could!

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:19 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3412 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great bog post. For those who can go, hit the ALMS race at COTA next year. Your ticket is your pit pass, no extra cash needed!! We really are spoiled here by tracks like Road America and Road Atlanta. You can wander wherever you want, no assigned seats, and you can get very close to the track, and no fencing in the majority of places.

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:16 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3412 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim,
stunning landscape shots. For that first one, I'd just want to pull up a chair and sit for a few hours and enjoy the changing light and clouds.

As for the other two, all I could think of was how many trout there might be in the river there and how much fun it would be to stand there waist deep for a few days admiring the beautiful landscape.

need to get my backside out west...

Gero

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:43 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3412 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey All...

Just trying to catch up.

Glad those attending the F1 race had a fun time. Race looked great on TV and it seems that in COTA, they've built a first-class facility! Hope it draws top-shelf series for years to come! Would love to see it in person some day!

Beautiful scenery Zim! Need a NM fix myself. Such a beautiful state!

Hope everyone's run up to Thanksgiving is as un-eventful as possible and that everyone (who participates) has a great holiday weekend!

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:19 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3412 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:

Ram, I can empathise about the walking for miles with a bad leg thing...

OK folks, I have made a monster blog post about COTA, F1 and photography. Hope you enjoy it:
http://futurshox.blogspot.com/2012/11/formula-1-at-circuit-of-americas.html

Here's a shot of the flypast before the race for those who aren't into cars.

http://futurshox.net/blog/pics/COTA/COTAF1-aircraft-heritage-flight-32.jpg

Great Blog Jo left you a message...

Hey Jo excellent report and great shots love the Classics.

Heritage Flight shot is F16 USAF
P38 Rod Lewis and the Mustangs are Double Trouble two and I think February both operated by Comanche Fighters LLc otherwise known as the Horseman flight team.
The Friedkin Family out of Eagle Pass.

http://goo.gl/maps/aMx1H

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3412 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Big Steve was flying the P-38, Rod's plane though.

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:51 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password