Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3395      
       3397              4304       4305       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3396 #1 · p.3396 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Thanks, Laura. Still nothing under 'aviationfiles', but I do come up with something called 'Airpac Mobile': how is it different from FlightAware?

It came right up for me on a search for 'aviationfiles'. Looks like it just a glossy front end to query the FAA database. Handy enough.

TOPP: something random from the archives...

Edited on Nov 13, 2012 at 03:25 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:23 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3396 #2 · p.3396 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve, this should get you there, then:

http://iphone.aviationfiles.com which has a link to:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aviationfiles/id451846747?ls=1&mt=8

It's the first aviation app I've downloaded to my gear, so I'm not sure. What other good apps are out there? For Flightaware, I just used their web site when I was sitting at the airport this weekend to greet Honor Flight's last flight of the year.

stevez wrote:

Thanks, Laura. Still nothing under 'aviationfiles', but I do come up with something called 'Airpac Mobile': how is it different from FlightAware?

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:25 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3396 #3 · p.3396 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Kingfishphoto wrote:
There was an interesting article in Allentowns Morning Call Newspaper last week about not letting an Auto company sell/market their own products. I quess its headed for the courts. Sounds a bit like the Preston Tucker saga that many of us lived throught in 1948. Lots of competiors want to kill that also, maybe for different reasons.
Harry Palmer

The lawsuits are being brought by dealer organizations over state laws designed to prevent auto manufacturers who already have dealer networks from competing with their dealers by selling direct. The dealers are scared to death that their business model collapses, not if Tesla succeeds in selling cars online (the only way you can buy a Tesla, BTW), but rather if the big boys try to do the same. Think Amazon vs. Barnes & Noble. Most consumers these days walk into the new car showroom already knowing everything about their intended car purchase from researching it on the Internet. They'd be thrilled with a transparent online purchase transaction, because nobody I know has ever enjoyed the sales experience at a dealership.

Dealer laws stand in the way of this change; you can bet the majors are looking long and hard at Tesla's business model, as well as the cars they're designing.

Edited on Nov 13, 2012 at 06:03 PM · View previous versions

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:34 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3396 #4 · p.3396 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
It came right up for me on a search for 'aviationfiles'. Looks like it just a glossy front end to query the FAA database. Handy enough.
]

Turns out it's a quirk of having searched for an iPhone app on the iPad. I did find it with an iPhone app search on an iPhone, but not with an iPhone app search on an iPad. The stupid thing is, having installed it on my iPhone the app will appear on my iPad the next time I synch it to iTunes.

Is that clear?

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:42 PM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3396 #5 · p.3396 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve, meet me, Ray. I have enjoyed my sales experience buying new cars at the dealership I have used since 1975. I have also referred 7-8 friends and relatives who have purchased multiple vehicles from this dealer. They have provided feedback to me about how much they enjoyed the purchase process and continue to return. One was a previous CFO for Ford Aerospace and another had a GM credit card for points. Oh, yeah, it's a Toyota dealership. Just to let you know.

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:45 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3396 #6 · p.3396 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yup, there are his and her iPad 1's here, as well as an iPhone, iPod Touch 4th gen, a Mac Mini (first gen) and last year's Mac Mini. AppleLogic at its best

stevez wrote:
Turns out it's a quirk of having searched for an iPhone app on the iPad. I did find it with an iPhone app search on an iPhone, but not with an iPhone app search on an iPad. The stupid thing is, having installed it on my iPhone the app will appear on my iPad the next time I synch it to iTunes.

Is that clear?

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:43 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3396 #7 · p.3396 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I believe it's best if we limit our discussion to the non-controversial: the sharing of our best photographic efforts to capture the magic of flight. It's why I'm here and I hope you agree.

Everyone here -- everyone -- knows I have strong views about politics and pretty much everything else. But much as I'm itching to pipe up on the subject, I'm going to recognize the wisdom of Steve's suggestion and keep quiet. Someday I'll even have a few more photos to share, too.

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:58 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3396 #8 · p.3396 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

anthonysemone wrote:
Hmmm, $92k and 300 miles+/- Now there's a cost-effective transportation solution

If you're like most people, and you need neither 200+ miles each day nor a 4.0-second sprint from zero to sixty, then you can very happily buy the Model S for $50K. You'll get a battery rated for max 160 miles, which in my real-world experience is enough for a comfortable 100 miles driven each day, with a good reserve to avoid any range anxiety.

The only USDOT study of which I am aware (check this link for details) says that only 8% of people in the USA drive more than 70 miles a day for work. I think it's safe to say that the other 92% of drivers still drive less than 100 total miles per day even after adding in trips to the post office, the supermarket, the movies, or taking the kids to school. So even the smallest battery pack has enough oomph for 90% of the population, or more. The only reason to buy more is (a) if you know you need that range or (b) you want the Performance version of the car.

Trust me, even the standard Model S is plenty fast. At 5.6 seconds from zero to sixty, it's faster than my twin-turbo 300HP BMW 335i convertible was (and that lighter, smaller car was known for performance but only managed a 5.9). And because essentially all the torque is available all the time, it responds instantly and the overall feeling of power, precision, and performance is much better than what the numbers would indicate. The Model S -- even the standard Model S -- actually makes the 335 seem slow to respond by comparison.

The fact that I can drive 200 miles for around $8, while my wife's BMW requires $55 to go the same distance, makes a $50,000 Model S actually a much cheaper car to own and operate than the $50,000 BMW 5-series sedan with which it's intended to compete.

Nov 13, 2012 at 05:22 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3396 #9 · p.3396 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Only 8% may drive more than 70 miles, I do, 90 each day, but even if you only drive 10 miles, you may be stuck in traffic for a long time. 10 miles in CA may take two hours, bad time for a battery to go dead. I think the better mix is the hybrid with a small gas motor for when stuff like that happens.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:31 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3396 #10 · p.3396 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not to worry, Tim. The battery pack in any EV can run the climate control and all accessories for days or weeks. Moving several thousand pounds down the road absolutely swamps all other battery loads. EVs do very well in stop and go traffic, because stopping returns energy to the batteries and the motor doesn't use any energy when the car isn't moving. Their big advantage over hybrids is simplicity of the drivetrain and related control systems, which translates into lower maintenance costs over the life of the vehicle. EVs simply have way fewer moving parts.

Anyone who lives close to a Tesla store owes it to themselves to schedule a test drive. It's way better than any amusement park ride and will open your eyes to the possibilities. Or you could pay me a visit and I'll let you drive mine.

Nov 13, 2012 at 06:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

david russell
• • •
p.3396 #11 · p.3396 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'll be right over Steve

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:08 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3396 #12 · p.3396 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
Steve, meet me, Ray. I have enjoyed my sales experience buying new cars at the dealership I have used since 1975. I have also referred 7-8 friends and relatives who have purchased multiple vehicles from this dealer. They have provided feedback to me about how much they enjoyed the purchase process and continue to return. One was a previous CFO for Ford Aerospace and another had a GM credit card for points. Oh, yeah, it's a Toyota dealership. Just to let you know.

I bought my first Toyota, a RAV4, in January 2011. I have to say, the sales guy I got just by luck of the draw resulted in probably the best car buying experience I ever had. I'd go back to him in a heartbeat, and I have referred folks to him.

But sitting in his cube, and listening to the other sales guys make their pitches to customers in the surrounding cubes, I realized how lucky I was. Because if I had drawn any of those other jerks, I would have walked out of there and not gone back.

Mark

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3396 #13 · p.3396 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Your chariot awaits....

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:42 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3396 #14 · p.3396 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You might have seen the recent photos of the Mosquito in NZ, in formation with a Vampire. Here's some video from inside the Mozzie cockpit on that flight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGfQQWOsoB8

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:19 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3396 #15 · p.3396 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice "SeaBase" shot at the top Jo! Is it time to head to OSH yet?

Went and played with the AZANG this morning down in Tucson. An early edit:

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3396 #16 · p.3396 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sweet shot, Jay.

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:29 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3396 #17 · p.3396 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Sweet shot, Jay.

Gorgeous light!

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:37 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3396 #18 · p.3396 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Gents...

Not a fan of shooting aluminum tubes, but when he's right in your kitchen...

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:02 AM
cbrandt
• • •
p.3396 #19 · p.3396 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dang .. Delta's gonna want that one !!

Nov 14, 2012 at 01:17 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3396 #20 · p.3396 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

cbrandt wrote: