Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3394      
       3396              4376       4377       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Razor17
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3395 #1 · p.3395 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
I wish I knew all the names of these pilots better, that will come in time I suppose.

If you have a iPhone, there is a app Aviation Files that will tell you that is Bruce Hammer A/C...

Lynn

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:04 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3395 #2 · p.3395 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Jim: "webesee", indeed. I honor your principled stance.

And that, Zim, is one of the many things I love about you!

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:44 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3395 #3 · p.3395 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Harry, that bar is a structural reinforcement on that particular 25. While I adapted, it is a bit restricting. Oddly, it wasn't the bulkhead that drew blood form three of four of us. We proudly displayed our identical "B25 rash" after our mission.

The Pacific Prowler doesn't have that structure, but that could be because it was highly modified as Frank Talman's main camera ship.. Other Mitchells I have been in have had something roughly similar to Devil Dog.

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:52 AM
Larry Grace
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3395 #4 · p.3395 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:35 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3395 #5 · p.3395 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm going to reveal a secret to the family here......................

I actually practice full discs and panning on airplanes, so that when it REALLY matters my slow shutter speed pans will be on the money.....

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:41 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3395 #6 · p.3395 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Thanks to JW, Leo and Nick, to take a liking to Potty break. JW and Steve , whats that silly looking bar in t he Mitchells tail cone ? something from Golds Gym ? Now for you electric car guys - what happens when the masses get them and we all charge them on todays power grid ? . T hey just put 3 (three) charging stations in at Allentowns largest shopping mall. Wonder what happens when number 4 drives up .
Harry Palmer

More rolling blackouts is my guess, but if I was to ever own an electric hybrid etc type, it would be this one, for its performance, and relation to SpaceX as well.

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:46 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3395 #7 · p.3395 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Razor17 wrote:
If you have a iPhone, there is a app Aviation Files that will tell you that is Bruce Hammer A/C...

Lynn

Thanks and downloaded

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:47 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3395 #8 · p.3395 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Kingfishphoto wrote:
Thanks to JW, Leo and Nick, to take a liking to Potty break. JW and Steve , whats that silly looking bar in t he Mitchells tail cone ? something from Golds Gym ? Now for you electric car guys - what happens when the masses get them and we all charge them on todays power grid ? . T hey just put 3 (three) charging stations in at Allentowns largest shopping mall. Wonder what happens when number 4 drives up .
Harry Palmer

Harry, you ask some great questions about the EV revolution. As with any transformative technology, it's not enough to just have a great product that people want: in this case the charging infrastructure is absolutely critical to widespread adoption of EVs by the great majority of people who could care less how they get from point A to B as long as it's cheap and reliable and convenient. It's different with early adopters, of course: these are people who can see that the handwriting is on the wall regarding the end of the internal combustion era and want to help push the larger economy toward a sustainable future and away from a dependence on fossil fuels.

It's not easy to see how a few thousand Teslas (next year they'll make 20,000 Model S cars, if things go well) make much difference in the larger scheme of the global automobile industry, but you gotta start somewhere. Tesla's noteworthy accomplishment is to create the first great car that happens to be all electric. They've done it with a lot of good, old-fashioned American innovation (and, not incidentally, with the help of a sizable DOE loan and a lot of luck), led by a visionary South African emigre who's already made and spent at least two high-tech fortunes to put his newer ventures, Tesla, Space X and Solar City, in a position to transform three important industries.

Now, charging stations. The average daily drive in this country is 40 miles: the Model S can go between 250 and 300 miles on a charge, the other all-electric cars currently available have significantly less range, but enough for this purpose. For normal daily driving, then, the current generation of EVs can charge at home, overnight, and never need a charging station except on cross-country trips. Public charging stations are cropping up everywhere these days: Walgreens and Nissan dealerships are all installing 30amp J1772 charging stations usable by almost all the EVs out there currently, and entrepreneurial charging networks are also coming on line, as we speak, where you can reserve a charging point for an hourly fee. Hotels, shopping centers and restaurants are installing charging points in order to attract new business. Tesla's Supercharger network is unique in that it takes advantage of proprietary technology to bypass the car's onboard charging inverters to feed DC current straight to the battery pack at up to 100kW, enough to add 150 miles of range in 30 minutes. The Supercharger stations are also being positioned _outside_ population centers, at highway intersections and rest stops where space is cheap and people will need intermediate charges between their overnight stops at hotels or private homes that have charging capabilities suitable for an overnight charge. It'll be a bit of a transition as the multiple charging standards are sorted out and the industry figures out how to support a growing fleet of EVs.

How is the electrical generating grid going to handle it if we start charging millions of vehicles a day? That day is still some years off, but one answer is renewable sources, like solar PV: I have a 4.76kW, grid-connected system on the roof of my home, plenty to charge my car with some left over to help power the house. During the day, when electrical loads tend to be highest, I'm out driving my car and my solar system feeds electricity to the grid; at night, when loads are lower, I charge my car. I'll be expanding the solar system by 50% as soon as I can get an installer out here: they're extremely busy these days.

There's a lot more to say on the subject. Battery technology needs to advance rapidly to allow for lighter batteries that hold more juice: the holy grail of EV design is currently the 500 mile battery pack at half the cost, size and weight of today's 300 mile packs. Power generation capabilities must begin transitioning from fossil fuels to decentralized, renewable sources. But Tesla has truly put EVs on the map, and they've done it with an advertising budget of exactly zero. You're going to hear a lot more from them in the next year or two: the next Tesla to reach the market will be a 4WD crossover SUV, and the one after that will be a low-cost family sedan.

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:23 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3395 #9 · p.3395 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Razor17 wrote:

Lynn

Lynn, I come up with no results searching for 'Aviation Files' in the AppStore. Where am I going wrong?

Nov 13, 2012 at 04:41 AM
david russell
• • •
p.3395 #10 · p.3395 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Angry wrote:
Havent done it yet,.....but I just know one day ,.....it WILL happen..

Luucky you got em back...

Al

cbrandt wrote:
+1 double formatted and retrieved .. sounds like something from a cyber forensics toolbox ...

glad you were able to recover !

I am lucky and glad. What a silly deal to do on my first real paying job: Since becoming one of the 47% in August, I've had the time and inclination to redo my backup strategy and obviously didn't fully understand what I had set up. All is well know.

Nov 13, 2012 at 05:14 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dtw757
• •
p.3395 #11 · p.3395 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Randy Kelly...beautiful on the Convair (#1)....

Nov 13, 2012 at 07:34 AM
went
• • •
p.3395 #12 · p.3395 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Papa awesome family photo love the spokes (prop blur) is this the 1DX & 70~200?

Nov 13, 2012 at 09:17 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3395 #13 · p.3395 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I would love to get this kind of mileage out of just one Ford Ranger engine with the original body attached.

Clicky

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:00 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3395 #14 · p.3395 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve, run it together as one word. It's by "Airpac, Inc" so maybe that will turn it up for you.

stevez wrote:
Lynn, I come up with no results searching for 'Aviation Files' in the AppStore. Where am I going wrong?

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:05 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.3395 #15 · p.3395 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2012-tesla-model-s/

Hmmm, $92k and 300 miles+/- Now there's a cost-effective transportation solution

Nov 13, 2012 at 01:15 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3395 #16 · p.3395 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Like I said, Anthony, ya gotta start somewhere. In the luxury sedan market where it competes, the Tesla makes a reasonable value proposition: it's no econobox. Economies of scale and improvements in battery technology should bring the prices down over time.

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:00 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3395 #17 · p.3395 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Steve, run it together as one word. It's by "Airpac, Inc" so maybe that will turn it up for you.

Thanks, Laura. Still nothing under 'aviationfiles', but I do come up with something called 'Airpac Mobile': how is it different from FlightAware?

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:04 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.3395 #18 · p.3395 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Like I said, Anthony, ya gotta start somewhere. In the luxury sedan market where it competes, the Tesla makes a reasonable value proposition: it's no econobox. Economies of scale and improvements in battery technology should bring the prices down over time.

Well, Steve, for those of us who have lived more than 80% of our life span, economies of scale are irrelevant.

Nov 13, 2012 at 02:57 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.3395 #19 · p.3395 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

There was an interesting article in Allentowns Morning Call Newspaper last week about not letting an Auto company sell/market their own products. I quess its headed for the courts. Sounds a bit like the Preston Tucker saga that many of us lived throught in 1948. Lots of competiors want to kill that also, maybe for different reasons.
Harry Palmer

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:19 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3395 #20 · p.3395 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

, Anthony. Not laughing about the few years remaining to us, but I take your point. I'm just happy to be in a financial position to vote with my wallet for things like solar PV and the Tesla S that will make a difference to our kids and grandkids.

Nov 13, 2012 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password