Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

tutumon
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

For that matter any online retailer like Amazon, Adorama, B&H...What do they do with cameras and lenses returned by somebody? DO they repack and sell it right back to somebody else? DO they do any QC and send it back to Canon?

ANy ideas?

Nov 08, 2007 at 06:32 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

They're like any retailer, both will take returns as longer as item is not opened. So I'd say it goes back into stock. For items returned that are damaged or inop, I'd say they go back to Canon.

Nov 08, 2007 at 07:08 PM
rlharris
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

Re B&H, Henry Posner (who is a member of the FM lists) will correct me if I am wrong, but I am sure they check them out to make sure there is nothing wrong or missing; then sells them as "open box specials." Maybe not on line, but I have seen open box specials at the store (and in the old days, in their printed catalogs).

Nov 08, 2007 at 07:08 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

They place a blue dot next to the bar code and back on the shelf they go.
Mr. Posner will hopefully correct me if my understanding of the situation is imperfect.

Nov 08, 2007 at 07:16 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

I'd say it depends on the condition of the item. I've returned many items to stores and later saw my return back in store stock as new, including musical instruments, clothing and electronics. As long you return it in new condition with all packaging most places will restock it. If it's defective, they will of course return it to the wholesaler. If it shows signs of use or is missing packaging, they might charge you a restocking fee and sell it at a reduced price as a refur, demo or return. After all, why should the retailer take a hit merely because the customer changed their mind? Besides, items like clothing, jewelry, musical instruments, guns, etc., are often handled and tried by many customers before sold. Cameras and lenses are often no different in this regard.

Nov 08, 2007 at 07:23 PM
GeneO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

If defective, it goes back to Canon, if the customer is just not satisfied, it might go back on the shelf.

This is not as bad as it sounds. Lots of times returns are becaue the customer doesn't know how to operate the euipmnet properly, or the ir equipment is not prioperly calibrated so, for example, they get a well calibrated lens that doesn't work well with their out of calibration body.

IMO lots of Canon equipment is not properly calibrated out of the factory. I have had to super -telese and a body sent in for repair because of significant back or front focusing (and have returned others when I was able t determine this within the return period).

Gene

Nov 08, 2007 at 07:34 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

Hi everyone.
Several years ago, at B/H , i looked at a re-burb. Canon 1NRS body. I opened the back, and it would not close and re-lock. I told the sales perso, that it had a problem, and should go back to Canon or their repair facility. Upon hearing that , he took it from my hands, and said, maybe they all do that ! so its going back on the shelf. Several weeks later, still interested in an RS, i re visited B/H , with the back from my very new, EOS 1N, in hand. I was once again shown the same $1200 body. I asked if i /they , could install my back on the problem body? The sales person ask, what would that prove Well you guessed it correctly, once opened, it would not close and re-latch. I told this sales person (a different person, than before) , that they had a defective body. Again, it was taken from me and returned to stock. I did purchase another RS body, and had to return it the next day. Just my experience with their pre-owned department.
Cheers
Harry

Nov 08, 2007 at 08:14 PM
RalphJ
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

Threads like this come up every month or so. Anyone who thinks all or even most returned items go into the "Open Box Specials" bin - or go back to the distributor, or are sold as refurbs - is dreaming.

Basically, if your question is "Where can I buy from if I don't want an item that someone else has returned?" the answer is:

"Buy only from stores that have a very strict policy discouraging returns, i.e., stores that charge a 10-15% restocking fee if the returned item is not essentially inoperable."

Most of us don't like to shop at those kinds of places, meaning that there's a good chance that most of us - if we buy enough stuff - are sooner or later likely to pay a "new" price someone else's returned item.

Nov 08, 2007 at 08:32 PM
Matt B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

If you are normally receiving lenses that are perfect and/or work according to their specifications, what does it matter? When you go to a car dealership do you demand to drive a new car that has never been taken for a test drive before?

The problem is, there are way too many people out there that buy cameras & lenses, but don't want to take the time to understand and practice photographic techniques. After getting bad shot after bad shot, they often blame the equipment and want to return it. Because someone doesn't know how to shoot at f/1.8, does that make a lens defective if they return it and say all the pictures are blurry?

There are also people with unrealistic expectations, and return 9 out of 10 lenses because of a pixel issue that 99% of other buyers would never notice or even care about, because the pictures themselves look very good.

Just relax, and realize a loose return policy is to your benefit, because if you are a pixel peeper and get an imperfect lens, B&H is one of the few places that allows returns without a bunch of hassle.

Nov 08, 2007 at 10:02 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

PetKal wrote:
They place a blue dot next to the bar code and back on the shelf they go.
Mr. Posner will hopefully correct me if my understanding of the situation is imperfect.

It's perfectly imperfect, that is it's completely imperfect. But it sounded nice. :-)
We do NOTHING with dots, blue or otherwise.

If a product is returned to us in pristine as-new condition and the reason for the return is, "I changed my mind," or "I should've ordered the larger size," or something OTHER THAN "It's not working correctly," it will either go back on the shelf or become an "open box" item or go to the used dept, depending on individual circumstances. If the product's being returned because it was DOA or not working, it goes back from whence it came, Canon USA or Bogen or whomever.

The only exception to that would be if the customer's simply wrong. A few years ago we sold three Nikon FM3a bodies back-to-back to the same customer who claimed all were not working properly. Turns out he was upgrading from a simpler Nikon and didn't know there was a more complicated method to open the film chamber on the new camera. He did what he was used to, couldn't get the camera open, and presumed the camera was to blame. All three were perfect. So it goes.
--
Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

Nov 09, 2007 at 12:39 PM
dmldl123
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · WHat happens to B&H returns?

i bought a card reader and card package. i had to return the whole package, the card reader was fried...but what about the card? it was perfectly fine, i wonder where that ends up

Nov 09, 2007 at 04:07 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.