New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2006 · Wider lens

francishmt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Wider lens

DJ, did you consider the Sigma 12-24 as well when deciding on the purchase of the 10-20? It would be interesting to see what the differences are.... (other than price and the focal length)

Oct 02, 2006 at 07:31 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Wider lens

The 10-20 EX is the newest wide zoom from Sigma, and is the DC designation - which basically means it's designed for the smaller digital sensors (won't work with film). I never really considered the 12-24 as a result. Also to keep in mind the 10-20 takes front filters (which I will utilize), is slightly lighter and smaller (comparatively), and has a shorter minimum focussing distance (maybe not a big priority with a wide zoom, but you never know... I'm finding neat new ways to use this lens).

And yes, it's a little more inexpensive too...

Oct 02, 2006 at 08:06 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Wider lens

Hey francishmt, I just found this chart on the Sigma site for what it's worth...

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_chart.asp

... in case you're comparing the two in your shopping...

Oct 02, 2006 at 08:07 PM
scribble
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Wider lens

If you can, make the trade. The 4mm is great to have, and you really can see the diffrence. If you can, go wider. Personally, primes in the wide area tend to work much better than zooms, and why not? They usually do. Wide zooms tend to vignet and distort like crazy, so if you can, get the 20mm.

Oct 03, 2006 at 07:21 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.