Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2006 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

Daniel Buck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

That looks real sharp, it looks like there has been sharpening applied, was it in-camera, raw, or photoshop?

May 30, 2006 at 09:44 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

I often have to turn sharpening down in PhaseOne CO when doing shots from my Contax's!

May 30, 2006 at 09:53 PM
Daniel Buck
• • • •
p.4 #3 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

I always turn off sharpening when I convert RAW, at least in the Photoshop RAW converter, the sharpening looks very brutal, ugly halos and things. a subtle USM or smart sharpen works much better, to my eyes anyway. I bet we could have a whole forum just on sharpening.

May 30, 2006 at 10:02 PM
Andi Dietrich
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #4 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

Its the standard raw convertion in dpp (sharpening 3). For a normal photograph it does not need more than this for my gusto.
This is with my custom made adapter, I sanded the adapter a bit down last week and now get this infinity performance without the mirror hitting the lens.

May 31, 2006 at 08:27 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

How did you sand it down, Andi?

May 31, 2006 at 08:30 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.4 #6 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

Mines as sharp in the center at 2.8 as it is at other apertures up to F11 - it's the edges that realy improve with stopping down.

May 31, 2006 at 08:32 PM
Andi Dietrich
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #7 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

The sandpaper (is this english?) on a glass plate, I mount the adapter on a rear lenshood and sand it down, I take another grip every 20 sec and turn the adapter. Before I try the adapter on the camera and lens, I wash and dry it. They are pretty even, but they wouldn't please everyone here, I guess

May 31, 2006 at 08:42 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

yes, "sandpaper" is correct English (which needs a capital E). Thanks for the explanation. I think I might try this with one of my Leica adapters. I think of 6, only 1 or maybe 2 properly reach infinity (although all are close).

May 31, 2006 at 08:48 PM
Andi Dietrich
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #9 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

carstenw wrote:
yes, "sandpaper" is correct English (which needs a capital E). Thanks for the explanation. I think I might try this with one of my Leica adapters. I think of 6, only 1 or maybe 2 properly reach infinity (although all are close).

ok, I will write down the word English 30 times on a piece of paper before going to bed.

good luck with your adapter, take care you sand the right side of the adapter down

May 31, 2006 at 09:00 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #10 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

I have noticed that the same problem of loss of infinity is present with some Leica adapters as well, leading me to believe that the Canon published data tables on their flange to film distance of 44mm is simply incorrect. My LeicaR/EOS adapter measures in at 2.97mm and just allows my 15 to hit infinity.

May 31, 2006 at 09:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.4 #11 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

Which adapter do you have, John? I have 5 f-s, and 1 Elefoto, and they seem to perform the same.

May 31, 2006 at 09:02 PM
Andi Dietrich
• • • •
Account locked
p.4 #12 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

John, you need sandpaper!

May 31, 2006 at 09:03 PM
jjlphoto
• • • • •
p.4 #13 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

Carsten I do not know which brand I have. I ended up testing several and kept the one that worked best on my particular body. They open apart, making tuning them more interesting. If one side is low, you can get some brass shim stock at the hobbyist (thin metal sheets, almost like golden wrapping paper or foil) and build up the low side. Of course, the high side still has to be at or less than the spec'd thickness. That is why I tested several. I did not have access to anything that would allow me to grind down the insides, unless I borrowed a Dremmel.

May 31, 2006 at 09:09 PM
netexpress
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

Shirozina,

I've taken off the rubber grip on my 50 1.7 and located the three screws. So I just loosen these a quarter turn? More or less? and turn the focus ring and re-tighten them and try it and see if I hit infitity and if not try again. Is that how it works?

Can you publish the procedure for the other wide angle Contax Zeiss primes: 28/2.0, 21 and 35 PC? Or is there a reference for these online?

Jun 01, 2006 at 03:54 AM
shirozina
• • •
p.4 #15 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

Kind of yes - once it's loose slide the focusing ring slightly away from infinity, squeeze the ring to grip the helical and turn back to infinity. The movement is only about a mm and you may need to do it several times while checking the results on your monitor at 100%. I only have experience with the 50/1.7 and 28/2.8 and they are different but as I said all manual focus SLR lenses I have ever come accross are adjustable for infinity. I would post some pics here but I'm not willing to pay the costs of posting images. If you e-mail me at shirozinaathotmaildotcodotuk I can send you some pics - I'm dismantling the 1.7 soon as it needs a regrease to the helical thread as it's got sand in it.

Jun 01, 2006 at 07:25 AM
shirozina
• • •
p.4 #16 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

BTW - I've got an OL - Canon adapter on my OL35mm shift and this hits infinity - 2 adapters from different manufacturers ( Chinese from Ebay) for Contax - EOS do not so I suspect it's the Contax spec that is wrong.

Jun 01, 2006 at 07:29 AM
rgallie
• •
p.4 #17 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

I am interested in adjusting infinity on the Zeiss 28 2.8. Can you tell me how you did it?

Thanks.

Rodney

Jun 01, 2006 at 02:47 PM
shirozina
• • •
p.4 #18 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

It's here in my previous thread;
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/402782

Jun 01, 2006 at 04:46 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #19 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

carstenw wrote: I think I might try this with one of my Leica adapters. I think of 6, only 1 or maybe 2 properly reach infinity (although all are close). I have 5 f-s, and 1 Elefoto

If you want to ship them from Germany to me (Los Angeles area), I'll adjust them. I'm assuming that Leica adapters have a flat surface on the Leica side, that can be ground, not milled.

Don

Jun 01, 2006 at 04:49 PM
rgallie
• •
p.4 #20 · Tuning Contax-Zeiss adapters to Canon lenses

Shirozina,

I have successfully adjusted the infinity focus of my 50mm 1.7 with your method. This is great to solve a nagging problem on these lenses.

I hope you have more excellent ideas!

Rodney

Jun 02, 2006 at 01:00 AM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password