Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2006 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

KPV-1Ds
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

After reading his Long Lens Techniques post, it appears that uz2work has had superb success with 500mm + 1.4TC = 700mm handheld shots.

That said, this product looks extremely promising as a supplement to his technique.

It is called the Novoflex ChestPod.

[url]http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&kw=NOCSP&is=REG&Q=&O=productlist&sku=240748[/url]

Anyone have any experience with it?
Thoughts?
Criticisms?

Jan 30, 2006 at 01:02 AM
Mike K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

I have not used this equipment, but here is a link to some experience with a very similar (but more expensive) equipment, the GoPod
http://www.outbackphoto.com/the_bag/uwes_tripods/essay.html
scroll down to the very end of this article.

A somewhat different product for which there are a few threads about is a rifle like shoulder brace sold by www.bushhawk.com
Mike K

Jan 30, 2006 at 04:46 AM
mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

A while ago, when most of TV news and documentaries were shot with 35mm or 16mm film cameras like Eclair and Ariflex, a pretty similar device was more or less a standard - a strap going around your neck with a ball joint being placed below the chest and a column going from the ball joint to the camera. That made heavy movie cameras very comfortable to handhold and assisted in steady shooting.

That said, I think this Novoflex gizmo will have very limited use - a monopod will probably be a better choice for most situations.

As for the rifle stock - imagine having a VERY front-heavy rifle. You'd definitely want some support forward of center of gravity in such setup.

Again, I think that in most situations, a monopod would be more practical than both these devices. You can always instantly disconnect and drop a monopod for freedom of movement, whereas both mentioned devices are harder to quickly dispose of.

A simple solution is a belt pouch that comes with some monopods - you insert monopod's foot into the puch - voila, almost the same thing as the chestpod.

You can always rig something up using a screwdriver belt holder or some other tool holder from you local hardware store

Jan 30, 2006 at 02:49 PM
KPV-1Ds
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

mt-m,
Too funny!! Great minds think alike!!! I was thinking the same thing last night about the use of a monopod supported in a receptable of some sort that is at waist level and hung from around your neck!
I could invent something like that, but it would be great to just buy it. Do you know of any links? Sources?

I was even experimenting with the idea with my monopod. It seems like it would work well. What would you do at the monopod head? Ballhead? Gimbal? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jan 30, 2006 at 03:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mt-m
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

here's one simple solution for $14.95:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5532&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Jan 30, 2006 at 04:22 PM
Jacob Vink
• •
p.1 #6 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

I like that belt pouch idea. i think the chest-monopod thing looks really uncomfortable.

Jan 30, 2006 at 07:18 PM
henbenley
• •
p.1 #7 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

Just stop your heart from beating and dont breathe either and it should turn out all right.

I dont think I could come up with a stupider idea, its on your chest where alot of subtle movements occur and defeats the point.

Jan 30, 2006 at 11:57 PM
fourfa
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Novoflex Chestpod - Anyone have experience with it??

try tucking two feet of your collapsed tripod into your belt. much the same effect. I often shoot handheld with the tripod attached and collapsed, adds weight and much stability while still retaining much flexibility over an extended spread out tripod. Tuck it under an arm, into the belt, up against a convenient wall, etc.

Jan 31, 2006 at 12:57 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password