1       2       3       4      
       6              18       19       end

Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Trek_of_Joy wrote:
Fred these samples are making my credit card and my fuji kit sweat bullets. Want. This. Lens.

Thanks for posting, I'm now about 90% sure I'm heading back to the Sony camp.

Cheers

Chris

I am expecting the 16-35/2.8 GM to be a superior lens in aspects other than resolution/contrast. If it matches the 12-24/4 performance, it will be an excellent lens.

It's also a faster lens and everything indicates it will have smoother OOF rendering making it a better choice for environment portraits (even when compared to the 16-35/4 ZA). Perhaps it will also have better flare performance...we'll see.
Finally, it takes filters which is very important to many photographers. To my eyes the 12-24/4 G and 16-35/2.8 GM could complement each other. At least, the overlapping has a good chance to be equality high in IQ.

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:29 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Im going to pass on the 16-35 myself. Even though the extra stop would be handy for me having both would not make sense.

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:43 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Pepperidge farm remembers this comment. 😀 In all seriousness I could see a two lens ultra wide zoom kit being everything I need for every situation on the long end so long as they deliver sharpness results. The 16-35 should surpass the 12 in flare resistance and vignetting and distortion and take filters to boot.

GMPhotography wrote:
Im going to pass on the 16-35 myself. Even though the extra stop would be handy for me having both would not make sense.

Jul 07, 2017 at 05:52 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

GMPhotography wrote:

I am doing the same.... IMHO, the 12-24mm lens is revolutionary, at least somewhat, in the overall package. Fairly small, light weight and great FL range. And all those traits with a superb performance! The 16-35mm GM seems to follow CaNikon's foot path. I expect the performance of the GM to be approximately on par with the Canon 16-35mm III, which is actually an awesome lens but the later can be had for around $1,600 (I sold my copy for $1,550, FYI) in anticipation of the GM but I decided to cancel that pre-order and get the FE 12-24mm G instead.

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I got a second copy today and it's just as well-centered as the first one. (perhaps luck)

The reason I got a second copy was to compare the first side-by-side in other to confirm what we've seen on this thread so far. It seems to be the case.

Also, I was getting some 'ring' flare when placing the sun in the center of the image on a clear sky. The second copy confirms it's a characteristic of this lens and starts to be more visible f/8. It's there at all focal lengths but at 12mm it's easier to see it across the field.

This does not happen with the CV 12/5.6 III and Loxia 21/2.8. (Not even a hint)
However, I see it on the 16-35/4 at a much lesser degree and only at very small apertures. (Probably why I never noticed it before)

See resized images below from f/4 until f/22: (It's a nice way to see the 14-point sunstar rendering as well)

ILCE-7RM2    FE 12-24mm F4 G lens    12mm    f/4.0    1/2500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    FE 12-24mm F4 G lens    12mm    f/5.6    1/1250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    FE 12-24mm F4 G lens    12mm    f/8.0    1/640s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    FE 12-24mm F4 G lens    12mm    f/11.0    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    FE 12-24mm F4 G lens    12mm    f/16.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

ILCE-7RM2    FE 12-24mm F4 G lens    12mm    f/22.0    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:21 PM
Parariss
• •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

GMPhotography wrote:

You sound so full of resolve.

I predict 1 week.

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:39 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Radio waves.lol

Must be the bulbulous lens design

Fred Miranda wrote:
I got a second copy today and it's just as well-centered as the first one. (perhaps luck)

The reason I got a second copy was to compare the first side-by-side in other to confirm what we've seen on this thread so far. It seems to be the case.

Also, I was getting some 'ring' flare when placing the sun in the center of the image on a clear sky. The second copy confirms it's a characteristic of this lens and starts to be more visible f/8. It's there at all focal lengths but at 12mm it's easier to see it across
...Show more

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:43 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Na, I like the idea of this lens and it looks really good.

Parariss wrote:
You sound so full of resolve.

I predict 1 week.

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:44 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Radio waves.lol

Must be the bulbulous lens design

In real images, I don't think it will be a big issue though. However, if the sun is close to the frame, there will be some cloning work to be done.

The important thing is that contrast seems to stay relatively constant. We can't have it all!

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:48 PM
k-h.a.w
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Thanks Fred. Remember the curved Sunstar Rays of the CV10 and to some degree of the CV12 or even the CV15? I get these when the sun is positioned off-center in the frame near the sides or corners. How does the 12-24 lens handle those situations? TIA.

K-H.

Jul 07, 2017 at 06:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:
In real images, I don't think it will be a big issue though. However, if the sun is close to the frame, there will be some cloning work to be done.

The important thing is that contrast seems to stay relatively constant. We can't have it all!

Seriously we are getting one hell of a bargain for under 2 grand. Weather is starting to clear, Ill get out in the morning and go at it. I have a bad itch the A9 and 12-24 been sitting at my feet all day. We need to go breath some fresh air

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:21 PM
Parariss
• •
p.5 #12 · p.5 #12 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

GMPhotography wrote:
Na, I like the idea of this lens and it looks really good.

Hey, no judgment -- we're all lens whores here!!

Edit: Better make that "lens sluts" -- we're paying, not getting paid.

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:49 PM
bjornthun
• • •
p.5 #13 · p.5 #13 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Resistance is futile.

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:52 PM
Surfnsun
• • •
p.5 #14 · p.5 #14 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I think the 16-35 will be a hit among those who love to shoot video. For myself, who's strongly considering a switch to Sony, the 12-24 will fit the bill just right for my style. I can't wait to have a nice "lightweight" package compared with my current 810 + 14-24.

Jul 07, 2017 at 07:56 PM
- MS -
• • •
p.5 #15 · p.5 #15 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

If you're taking requests for lenses to compare.
Could you compare the Canon 17 TS-E (the adapter is up to you), please.

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in replacing the 17mm for the Sony, especially for architectural work.

Thank you.

Jul 07, 2017 at 08:56 PM
scrappydog
• •
p.5 #16 · p.5 #16 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

The Canon 16-35/4 would be another welcomed candidate for testing. A lot of us Canon cross-overs still shoot it.

Jul 07, 2017 at 09:06 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.5 #17 · p.5 #17 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

- MS - wrote:
If you're taking requests for lenses to compare.
Could you compare the Canon 17 TS-E (the adapter is up to you), please.

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in replacing the 17mm for the Sony, especially for architectural work.

Thank you.

I don't really see this lens as being able to replace the TSE lenses. I'm keeping my 17 and 24 II. That doesn't mean this can't also be taken on assignments to back up the TSEs.

Jul 07, 2017 at 09:35 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.5 #18 · p.5 #18 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Fred Miranda wrote:

Also, I was getting some 'ring' flare when placing the sun in the center of the image on a clear sky. The second copy confirms it's a characteristic of this lens and starts to be more visible f/8. It's there at all focal lengths but at 12mm it's easier to see it across
...Show more

Weird! I'll have to try this.

Jul 07, 2017 at 09:41 PM
mreynolds767

p.5 #19 · p.5 #19 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

Sony is killing it at UWA but I am still totally unsure the right path/lens for me.
Each seem to have some type of drawback, I own a few so cannot justify adding another without selling something.

Want only for landscapes and don't care about AF
16-35 F4 is my workhorse ; cannot see replacing it due to easy of use of filters on it

Also own the Loxia 21 but don't use it as much. Use it primarily for stars/astro where it does great and light sources ; sunstars/city lights. Often carry it and will use it on a regular landscape when 21 is ideal. Overall what I do use it for it does better than anything available so selling it doesn't make sense.

The Samyang 14 I also own cause I do like really wide but stopped carrying it except for Astro shots where it is very good. I could sell it but not worth enough so solely as an Astro camera I can justify the cost.

So I own 3 and with the 12-24 being F4 and not able to take filters I really cannot see it as a replacement for any of the 3 I own
The thought of adding one of those bulky mount on front filter systems does not seem to make sense at this time.
Had they built in a rear filter slot I would have purchased it already and would be selling the 16-35 F4 ; I know I would appreciate being able to go wider than 16 at times with the new zoom.

Giving some thought to getting it anyway, selling the 16-35 and limit filter use to the Loxia 21 just not sure that is wise.

Jul 07, 2017 at 09:48 PM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.5 #20 · p.5 #20 · Sony 12-24mm f/4 G versus other lenses thread

I'm really torn on this lens. Optically it looks fantastic and I'll admit I'm surprised by the level of performance for a lens of this focal length and price. I had expected 12mm to perform well but seeing how easily it trounces the 16-35/4 on the extreme edge is indeed a surprise to me.

If this took filters I'd buy it in a heartbeat but I had told myself I'd never again buy a lens that doesn't take standard 100mm slot in filters (with the exception of a fast UWA prime for Astro only.) I am not a heavy user of filters but I do use them from time to time and this makes 150mm even more frustrating as it's a large expense and bulky addition to my bag for something that isn't used very often.

On the back of how it performs I really want to just go buy it anyway but I feel like the smart move would be to wait and see how the GM performs. That lens has a lot more appeal to me if it can at least match this lens for resolution as I can perform double duty for Astro and use regular filters on it. The significant price premium is an obvious downside, as is he possible/probable high sample variation if the 24-70GM is anything to go by.

I already have the L21 and CV15 but there are many times in the field that switching lenses is less than ideal (dusty, wet, etc) so a zoom is still something I see as essential for my kit in the medium term. I am not a huge fan of the 16-35/4 as although a copy like Freds is certainly good enough with the high sample variation I don't like my chances of getting one. In Australia I can't simply buy and return until I do.

Decisions, decisions...

Jul 07, 2017 at 10:19 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password