Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

plnelson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

I'm on vacation in Barcelona and today I was walking around the waterfront shooting stuff at random when I saw a crew setting up some kind of a shoot with a bizarre-looking camera. It was the size a professional cinematography camera and it had pairs of lenses on multiple sides, like a 3D camera, and was also festooned with little 5-inch-ish displays (like cell-phones). It was mounted on a large heavy-duty tripod. So I took a picture of it with my D800.

Shortly after I did so I was approached by two people - an Englishman and a woman who spoke with a Catalan accent. They claimed to represent a company called "Unit Nine" in London and they said this was some new custom camera they were developng. They neither wore nor offered any identification. They demanded that I delete the photo, and since I'm just a tourist and have nothing riding on it I only put up token resistance and did as they bid while they watched.

I then immediately switched to the other card in my camersa (a CF card) so I could continue shooting without writing anything else to the SD card where the picture was taken. Since a delete operation only deletes the record information but not the bits, that means the original image should still be on the card. How do I get it?

Thanks in advance!

(you know if they had never said anything I would have probably gotten the picture home and deleted it anyway. But now that they've made a Big Deal about it I'm eager to pursue this)

Jun 13, 2015 at 02:31 PM
kaplah
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

There are lots of free solutions. Try this: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Jun 13, 2015 at 02:48 PM
cbbr
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

I like RescuePRO (free with faster SanDisk SD cards).

Jun 13, 2015 at 02:58 PM
SAng
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

Transcend has RecoveRx: http://ca.transcend-info.com/Support/Software-4, though I'm not sure if they've restricted its use to Transcend cards only.

Jun 13, 2015 at 03:43 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

RescuePro Standard is $39. Is there a free/cheaper solution that works and is not filled with malware? Remember, this card hasn't been formatted or overwritten or anything so it should be pretty straightforward.

Jun 13, 2015 at 03:43 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

kaplah wrote:
There are lots of free solutions. Try this: https://www.piriform.com/recuva

---------------------------------------------

plnelson wrote:
RescuePro Standard is $39. Is there a free/cheaper solution that works and is not filled with malware?

Jun 13, 2015 at 04:42 PM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

Recova did it!! (kudos to kaplah!!)

The contraption is exactly as I described it. I'm going to start a separate thread to discuss the ethics of publishing it given how pissed I am at them bullying me.

Jun 13, 2015 at 05:13 PM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

plnelson wrote:
Recova did it!! (kudos to kaplah!!)

The contraption is exactly as I described it. I'm going to start a separate thread to discuss the ethics of publishing it given how pissed I am at them bullying me.

Just post it here. Likes will be given .

Jun 13, 2015 at 05:42 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

playerofwar wrote:
Just post it here. Likes will be given .

Many. I'd like to see this thing that is so secret it can't be photographed even though it can be tested / used in a public setting!

Jun 13, 2015 at 07:24 PM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

To the best of my knowledge if any company decided to test their brand new products in public and if someone took a picture of it and decided to publicize it, there is nothing they can do in international law. No one has special rights to treat public areas as their own backyard other than the black and white mafia . If that was me I would have asked them to contact a lawyer to clarify their rights in public.
Our company has been testing the latest products for both civilian and military applications and yet we can't stop anyone watching or stop them from recording. All we can do is to make our products not so obvious or cover it up. Check with the respective law enforcement agencies to clarify before posting.
One example is that if any country decided to transport their latest military wares on public roads and someone took a picture of it and post it, can the respective government charge that person for espionage? No! Right? We see them all over on YouTube and the American, Chinese or Russian governments didn't charge any of them other than we never get to hear from some of them in a few cases (this is what I called white mafia). All they can do is to covered it up while in transit or transport it during the appropriate time of night, that's all!
As for patent filing, once a design is reviewed before it is issued, very high chances are that the patent will be denied or voided. That's also a known fact. So if they decided to review their products in public before a patent is issued then it is their own fault.

Jun 14, 2015 at 02:14 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

These people may have been space aliens and what you mistook for a Catalan accent may have really been Venusian or Martian. They were probably testing out a newly developed death ray. Beware, " They're out there ".

Jun 14, 2015 at 06:04 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

They have an interesting website:

http://www.unit9.com/

Maybe they were testing THE NEW D400, and you stumbled across it even before Thom Hogan...

Jun 14, 2015 at 06:07 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

I would have refused to delete it. You and they were in a public place

Jun 14, 2015 at 06:12 AM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

I return to the US today. I'll still still be traveling in the US for another day, so I'll try to post it late Monday, early Tuesday US time. As far as I can tell it consists of at least 9 Red Dragon 6K's with wide-angle lenses in a VR configuration. Since most live action VR is currently shot on arrays of GoPro or cell-phone-class cameras this would be a big step up.

Jun 14, 2015 at 07:33 AM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

I think you're right. When I click on Hogan's email link on his website it puts up an email form bit with a blank "to" field - It's his site so I don't know why it doesn't fill in. But he's the perfect person to send this to. Any suggestions on how to email him? (I don't use FB or Twitter).

Jun 14, 2015 at 07:39 AM
cbbr
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

Its a bit funny that a company that looks so sophisticated would think that a guy with a D800 couldn't figure out how to recover the pic. Wonder what they would say if you told them that you had a fantastic product hot that they could use in marketing materials if they wanted to license it... for a fee of course.

Jun 14, 2015 at 07:55 AM
hans98ko
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

I think the OP has stumbled upon a couple of foreign spies or journalists working for the UK government or agency Unit9 (what a name?).
Recently Catalans failed to vote for independence from Spain and just days ago both Madrid and Barcelona also voted for mayors which opposes the Spanish government, so these people might be there recordng whatever info they are looking for and don't want to be known.
If the OP have a picture of them, post it with a writeup of what happened, so that Catalans can see and decide if the British were interfering with their internal politics and if so let them hunt this couple down. Britain was accused of being involved in the unsuccessful vote due to its similarity with Scotland wanting independence from UK.
Since these people like to play with fire, let them have some fun and we will watch it from afar.
Remembered a camera with multiple lenses can document the surrounding with head count and target identification with biometric capabilities (similar to those used by the British police).
Now, you see why they are so sensitive for being recorded? It is not the camera they are worrying about but their identities.

Just my telepathy sense from a Teletubbie (Huh! British character?) with a far reaching antenna on it's head

DaveOls wrote:
These people may have been space aliens and what you mistook for a Catalan accent may have really been Venusian or Martian. They were probably testing out a newly developed death ray. Beware, " They're out there ".

Jun 15, 2015 at 03:44 AM
plnelson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

pr4photos wrote:
I would have refused to delete it. You and they were in a public place

Well I don't know what's regarded as a public place in Spain, and neither do you. It could be privately owned. Here in the US lots of places - shopping malls, certain nature and wildlife preserves, and some waterfront and riverfront parks, etc, may have unrestricted public access, but they are not public spaces in the legal sense, as it pertains to photography. And frankly it shouldn't be necessary to explain this on a forum like Fred Miranda, where, presumably most of us should have a passing knowledge of the law as it pertains to photography, at least in the jurisdiction where we live (USA, in my case).

All I know is that there were no "keep out" or "no trespassing" or similar signs or warnings along the route I walked in on. But at the risk of being pedantic that is NOT the same as a "public place".

Anyway, I'm back in the US but I don't see any option to post images in these forums. It says "available to upload and sell members only".

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:29 PM
Palmguy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

plnelson wrote:
Well I don't know what's regarded as a public place in Spain, and neither do you. It could be privately owned. Here in the US lots of places - shopping malls, certain nature and wildlife preserves, and some waterfront and riverfront parks, etc, may have unrestricted public access, but they are not public spaces in the legal sense, as it pertains to photography. And frankly it shouldn't be necessary to explain this on a forum like Fred Miranda, where, presumably most of us should have a passing knowledge of the law as it pertains to photography, at least in the
...Show more

Upload it to Flickr or Photobucket and use the img tags to post it here.

Jun 16, 2015 at 05:41 AM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · UN-deleting an image from an SD card? (D800)

plnelson wrote:
Well I don't know what's regarded as a public place in Spain, and neither do you. It could be privately owned. Here in the US lots of places - shopping malls, certain nature and wildlife preserves, and some waterfront and riverfront parks, etc, may have unrestricted public access, but they are not public spaces in the legal sense, as it pertains to photography. And frankly it shouldn't be necessary to explain this on a forum like Fred Miranda, where, presumably most of us should have a passing knowledge of the law as it pertains to photography, at least in the
...Show more

Well I have been a professional photographer in Tenerife for the past year (Spanish territory) so I do know a little bit about Spanish law I still wouldn't have deleted it, and would have asked for the police to decide

Jun 16, 2015 at 05:51 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.