New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

form
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

I had an issue at the end of a wedding on Friday, the first big wedding I've shot since I got my D750 back from Nikon for the "fix."

What it did: After an ordinary shutter press to take a photo, the camera unexpectedly went into a hard error. I turned it off several times without any change. I removed the lens, no change. I removed the battery and replaced it, no change. There was at least 20-30% battery life left. Because the wedding reception was still active, I didn't have more time to try more troubleshooting, so I swapped to another of my 5d2s (which I've been using for 5 years without incident) to finish the night with.

What it sounded like when it had the error: An incomplete mirror movement sound, like it got stuck at some point during the lift/drop process. The normal sound was incomplete.

What I could do when the error occurred: Menus still worked, preview still worked, I just couldn't get the error to go away by the normal means and the shutter button would not let me actuate. However...

I'm driving home and I check my camera at a stop light, annoyed with it, and the error is still popping up. So I just push the shutter button again...and it finishes the clack sound that was missing earlier and the camera seems to work normally again. I clicked the shutter a few more times, seems to be working again.

What I'm suspecting: Did Nikon's internal reflection/etc. fix cause a change in the freedom of movement of the mirror and/or other moving components inside the camera, thus resulting in a slight chance of the mirror/other components getting jammed occasionally? I had shot a good number of weddings with the D750 before the fix and never had the problem, but the first one I shoot after the fix such an issue occurs, sounding very mechanical and like something got jammed. It may be a timing coincidence, but I'm curious.

I'm posting this for two reasons: #1 I'm sharing a specific error incident that stopped me in my tracks while working and forced me to swap cameras, #2 I'm wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Has anyone else had such an issue with the D750?

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:51 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

I've seen this with numerous SLRs over the years and as soon as I read the first 2 sentences I thought shutter jammed. I don't own a D750 yet I've seen it on both Canon and Nikon bodies. Sometimes the camera will come back to life for a little while, and even when it did within a few hundred actuations the shutter died.

As this is such a young camera just back from the shop, sposibly something is rattling around in there and got stuck. Try taking the lens off, shaking the camera around and see if you hear something. If you do hold the camera lens mount down and shake over a bole and see if something falls out. If yes you may be OK. If nothing falls out, try the same thing with mirror up as if to clean the sensor. If this fails, you might want to send it back to Nikon with a note or try and see what happens with use as long as you have a backup along.

Good luck Joey,

Morris

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:15 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Nothing fell out, I hear something shaking which is the little metal parts inside the hot shoe flash mechanism **correction pop-up flash mechanism**. There's nothing moving in the mirror box that I can see. Tried mirror up same thing. My backup is my main gear - my Canon stuff.

Edited on Feb 22, 2015 at 09:57 PM · View previous versions

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM
csd2020
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

The rattle you hear in the hot shoe is probably the orientation sensor. Perfectly normal.

Feb 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Try a different lens, maybe the aperture was stuck?

Feb 22, 2015 at 01:09 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Did you look inside while it was broken?

Feb 22, 2015 at 01:41 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

No I didn't look inside while it was broken, I didn't think about it at the time. It was dark and I was a bit busy.

Feb 22, 2015 at 09:53 PM
Phyl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

This just happened to me over the weekend. Mid-event and the camera hung with ERR and I couldn't get it back quickly (battery, lens and card removed in the process). I removed the battery from the 750, took the lens and flash and left it. I swapped to my backup, used it to finish the photo op we were in the middle of. When I was done with the photo op I went back to the camera and it was "fine".

A while later it hung without ERR. The screen looked like it was trying to render an image but nothing was on the screen (it was a little brighter than the screen when it was off). Removing the battery fixed this condition, though it's happened a couple of times since.

I'll be sending it out for a checkup to see what they think is wrong with it. Did you ever find out what happened? Has that (or any other weird behavior) happened since?

May 18, 2015 at 11:01 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Never found out what it was, I think perhaps something hung up while I was bursting during a reception. That lockup never repeated, but I've had several battery-removal-fixable lockups before and after that, where it seemed like the camera just wouldn't wake up after going to sleep.

May 21, 2015 at 08:51 AM
Phyl
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Have you sent it in for service yet? I need for this thing to be reliable. It makes me nervous waiting for the shoe to drop. I went from feeling good enough that I've got the backup in my bag to wondering if I need to be carrying it during the critical moments.

May 21, 2015 at 08:57 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

I didn't send it in for service, service is expensive and I always have two or more cameras on me anyway. I just sent in one of my D750s for cracked LCD protector, they returned it in about a week. I also just updated the firmware on one camera and am comparing it to the other one with last firmware. I see no functional differences so far, we'll see if the camera stops locking up.

May 21, 2015 at 09:14 AM
elenablank

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

i had exactly the same problem with my D750 which i bought on April
I thought it wasn't a big deal but i ended up sending the camera to the service just in case it was a factory problem.....and it was, so they told me that they will have to replace the whole shutter system.
My camera is still in the service department, i will get it tomorrow but i don't like the idea of spending so much money for a camera which comes with factory errors, since this camera will be my one and only, i don;t have a second body
I know that if i insist they can replace it with a new one but is it such a big deal to set myself into this trouble?
And does anyone knows, once they said that they will replace the whole shutter system, does this mean that my camera will be like new without any click on it's record?

Dec 17, 2015 at 05:12 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

^^ Depending on your needs, you might buy a D5300 or D7100 body as a backup.

There was a used D7100 for sale here for $500, with some extras. I was selling my D5300 and would have sold it for $375 with only 4,500 actuations. I decided to keep it instead.

Just an idea. I know you are not in the US, so your pricing may differ. Of course if you are doing pro work, you may need a full frame backup.

Good luck.

Dec 17, 2015 at 07:04 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

elenablank wrote:
i had exactly the same problem with my D750 which i bought on April
I thought it wasn't a big deal but i ended up sending the camera to the service just in case it was a factory problem.....and it was, so they told me that they will have to replace the whole shutter system.
My camera is still in the service department, i will get it tomorrow but i don't like the idea of spending so much money for a camera which comes with factory errors, since this camera will be my one and only, i don;t have a second body
I
...Show more

I had this some issue intermittently. First time it happened I freaked out as I had just purchased the camera and took it to a shoot and it locked up on the first shot! After doing the usual stuff I eventually tried taking another shot and sure enough the shutter worked normally again. This has happened 3 times now, normally after the camera has been sitting in my bag for a while. I just picked it up and checked and sure enough it did it again.

Anyway since I have a couple of back-ups (D4 and D7200) I decided to box it up today and send it off and hopefully get it back by the start of the new year.

Thanks everyone for posting about this!

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:59 AM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

form wrote:
I didn't send it in for service, service is expensive and I always have two or more cameras on me anyway. I just sent in one of my D750s for cracked LCD protector, they returned it in about a week. I also just updated the firmware on one camera and am comparing it to the other one with last firmware. I see no functional differences so far, we'll see if the camera stops locking up.

Did you ever find out what the problem was or have it serviced?
I was at a wedding last night and one of my 750's completely locked up when I was shooting a burst on the dance floor. The body was still on, it could still autofocus, but I couldn't take an image, and it wouldn't power off. I had to take the battery out. Thankfully it wasn't a critical moment but it really made me distrust that body. I purchased it new from B&H last March, so I figure if I'm going to send it in it needs to be now. Any ideas?

Feb 22, 2016 at 01:26 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

No solid ideas, I sent both my cameras into Nikon several months ago. They said nothing was wrong and they couldn't duplicate any issues after several hundred shutter actuations themselves. Perhaps it has something to do with bursting and quickly pushing the shutter/etc. button(s) multiple times during the bursts. It's only a guess.

Mar 04, 2016 at 01:56 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Mine would do it when after sitting in my bag for a few days. Anyway I sent it in and they shipped it back with a new shutter.

Mar 04, 2016 at 07:30 PM
dougfatheruk
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Sorry to dig up an old thread but during a wedding reception yesterday my D750 locked up. Hour glass on the rear LCD and the SD write led was solid green. Couldn't switch the camera off so I had to remove the grip. I wasn't bursting and am running the latest C1.10 firmware.

Very worrying?

Jun 05, 2016 at 08:05 AM
Elisha82
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Is your SN part of the recall range? Because it it possibly fixed with a new shutter assembly.

dougfatheruk wrote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread but during a wedding reception yesterday my D750 locked up. Hour glass on the rear LCD and the SD write led was solid green. Couldn't switch the camera off so I had to remove the grip. I wasn't bursting and am running the latest C1.10 firmware.

Very worrying?

Jun 05, 2016 at 01:21 PM
dougfatheruk
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D750 - Error that persists after battery removal + power off

Good call, the site has been down all day but I will keep trying, thanks.

Jun 05, 2016 at 01:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.