New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

dolina
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

Anyone using a NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot with their 600 IS II? Comments, feedback or any violent reactions? How is the balance with a Wimberley WH-200 Gimbal Tripod Head II and a double or single grip SLR.

Photos of the replacement foot attached to the lens would be awesome!

Dec 08, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

I considered installing the foot CPS supplied with the 600L IS II last week until I realized the AF did not work properly. I thought the OEM foot was too tall.

Dec 08, 2013 at 03:51 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

I don't have that one Paolo but I do have the RRS one and the 4th Gen designs CRX-5 that can be moved around. I really like the CRX-5. I have it with the low mount option on the 600II and I have it with the higher mount on my 300II because the low mount rubbed against the reversed hood on the 300II. I've retired my RRS one for now. The 4th Gen is just lower profile but still can be used as a handle even with gloves on (probably not an issue where you live!!).

Dec 08, 2013 at 04:00 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

Pogito, for handheld shooting, the best foot for 600 II is CP-61a made by 4th Generation Designs. It's low profile yet allows a limited lens carrying handle functionality. (If only John Zeiss would listen to me and raise it minutely, then it would be perfect on both counts.)
That is my opinion based on the handheld lens dynamics/physics.

However, if much of your use would involve pod mounted 600 II, then there are several largely equal merit options such as RRS, Jobu, etc.

Petkal aka Supertelephotomaster

Dec 08, 2013 at 04:47 PM
dbostock
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

I have the NSN foot on my 600II. I like it a lot better than the RRS I had on my old 500. It's lighter and a little longer toward the back, so there's plenty of room for adjusting the balance on the Wimberley. It's a good set up.

Cheers,
David

Dec 08, 2013 at 05:03 PM
Greg Schneider
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

I have the NSN foot on my 600II and have no complaints.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:06 PM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

The 4th Generation CRX-5 works well on the 600 II.

To accommodate these two extreme camera mounted cases: that with 1DX + 2X and the bare 5DIII, it's best, for all round gimbal balancing, if the lens foot is mounted at the rear position of the plate.

With the low mount, the plate is low enough to just fit inside the lens hood in the reversed storage position.

With the high mount, the reversed hood will not clear the front of the plate. Unless the plate is moved back one slot - so it just nearly abuts the lip of the hood. However, in this case, this will result in only a short section of plate in the gimbal clamp to perhaps prevent a safe balanced rig with the bare 5DIII.

Handholding the lens via the low mounted plate is just a little restricted.

Db

Edited on Dec 09, 2013 at 01:44 AM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:07 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

Psychic1: Kindly expound. AF was messing up?

arbitrage: I have the RRS one that fits the Series II IS 400/500/600 and find it a tad high on my 400/2.8 IS II that's why I am checking out NSN. A buddy of mine has the CRX-5 but it is two pieces rather than one solid machine piece of aluminum.

PetKal: CP-61a looks interesting but I worry that I will not be able to fit my fat fingers in to use it like a handle. Same problem I had with 4th Gen Design's foot for the original 500/4 IS.

David & Greg: Photos of the NSN foot with it mounted to your gimbal with body and other accessories would be of immense help.

4th Gen designs CRX-5 owners: Does it have any "give"? My worry with its two piece design that it will have some movement no matter how minute.

To everyone: Do you think the Kirk LP-53 replacement foot for the original Canon 500/4 IS will fit and provide proper balance to a 600 IS II?

http://www.kirkphoto.com/images/LP53.jpg

http://www.kirkphoto.com/images/LP53a.jpg

http://www.kirkphoto.com/images/LP53b.jpg

http://www.kirkphoto.com/images/LP53c.jpg

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:52 AM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

No give on the CRX-5. i have one on my 600 ii and soon to be on my 200-400 and 300mm 2.8 II.

http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/4th-generation-crx-5-replacement-foot-for-canon-series-ii-lenses.html

Dec 09, 2013 at 12:57 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

dolina wrote:
To everyone: Do you think the Kirk LP-53 replacement foot for the original Canon 500/4 IS will fit and provide proper balance to a 600 IS II?

No fit. That one had a smaller foot flange (bolt) template, unique to 500 MkI.

Dec 09, 2013 at 04:41 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

PetKal wrote:
No fit. That one had a smaller foot flange (bolt) template, unique to 500 MkI.

*grumble*

Dec 09, 2013 at 05:42 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

dolina wrote:
Psychic1: Kindly expound. AF was messing up?

A long time ago my wife learned never to ask

While waiting for the Generation II's to start shipping Canon CPS was kind enough to loan me the 400L IS 2.8, the 400DO, the 500L twice, the 600L IS II and the 800L twice.

Every lens was well worn and every lens functioned perfectly. All were tack sharp.

This summer I tested the 500L II and I found it as sharp as the old and completely hand-holdable.

Unfortunately, is would stop focusing. Clicking from M to AF would often cause it to reengage.

The 600L II on a tripod, servo OFF, single shot, center point with 1DsIII and 1DIII was erratic and with the 2XIII attached it hunted like a dead dog.

I have decided on the 500L II and the 800L because I never met a 2X I like.

I do not believe the new Gen II ultra-lite lens will stand the test of time.

Shoot me, my wife won't mind

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:35 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

Does your Series II Supertele have the firmware update?

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:48 AM
Dragonfire
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

dolina wrote:
Does your Series II Supertele have the firmware update?

One would expect Canon to update their equipment, but you never know.

I will inform CPS and ask them to check.

The 600L II was last week.

That would be a relief.

Off to the gym.

Dec 09, 2013 at 07:54 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

CRX-5 is my new favourite foot. As I said, I had to use the higher mount on the 300II because it wouldn't let the hood sit properly when reversed. I could still tighten the hood down but it was torqued off of centre a bit. With the 600II, I have the lower mount and that works well, still room to use as a handle (I carry my 600II at my side a lot and handhold it most times). I never tried it with my high mount.

I don't think there is any give with the 2 part construction. Feels just as solid as the one piece RRS foot I have. However, the shape of the RRS is a little smoother for handholding and carrying but the position of the CRX-5 is better (i.e. closer to the lens) for handholding but not too close like the foot Peter mentioned. I don't think you can use that one as a good handle.

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:05 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

Anyone using the CRX-5L? http://stores.4gdphoto.com/-strse-126/CRX-dsh-5L/Detail.bok

It has a low mount base of only 2.5 CM (1 inch) tall.

Photos guys?

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:18 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

Yep, I have both Paolo. Low one is on my 600II and high one on my 300II. I didn't order the CRX 3.5 for the 300 because I like a longer foot and the 3.5 I think is shorter. I would go with the low one for the 600II. Still enough room for handle but nice and close to the lens compared to the RRS and NSN (I would presume).

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:23 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

dolina wrote:
Anyone using the CRX-5L? http://stores.4gdphoto.com/-strse-126/CRX-dsh-5L/Detail.bok

It has a low mount base of only 2.5 CM (1 inch) tall.

Photos guys?

I ordered mine from Outdoor Photo Gear. They ship internationally at reasonable rates. http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/store/4th-generation-crx-5-replacement-foot-for-canon-series-ii-lenses.html
You select either high or low in the little drop down box before adding to the cart.

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:25 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

arbitrage thanks! though RRS is a well respected brand their foot is too darn tall. I only got them as at the time they were the only game in town.

The front runners for me are the following in order

- NSN
- 4th Gen two piece and Peter's one piece
- Yet another RRS.

I'd prefer to ship it to a friend within the US then have em bring it back with them on their way back to the Philippines.

Shipped items tend to get pilfered or be levied with crazy import duties with no consistent rates if sent via public or private courier service.

Dec 09, 2013 at 10:22 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 600 IS II + NSN CLF-456 Lens Replacement Foot

dolina wrote:
arbitrage thanks! though RRS is a well respected brand their foot is too darn tall. I only got them as at the time they were the only game in town.

The front runners for me are the following in order

- NSN
- 4th Gen two piece and Peter's one piece
- Yet another RRS.

I'd prefer to ship it to a friend within the US then have em bring it back with them on their way back to the Philippines.

Shipped items tend to get pilfered or be levied with crazy import duties with no consistent rates if sent via public or private courier
...Show more

Is the NSN any shorter than the RRS? It looks very similar in height in the pictures. Peter's recommendation is awesome for handholding (lower centre of gravity) but not for carrying at your side as a handle. The CRX-5 1" low version is the best I've found for both handholding flight shots and still being able to carry it at my side.

PS. I'm heading to Borneo in March... if you want to come find me in the jungle I'll bring one over for you

Dec 09, 2013 at 10:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.