New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Leica M240 issues

Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M240 issues

I recently purchased a Leica M240 new, and am delighted with it. However, there are two problems I am consistently encountering;

(1) The camera shutter goes unresponsive every 100-300 clicks. I end up having to restart the camera to bring it back to life.
(2) When I review images already shot and use the exposure compensation wheel to zoom in, I occasionally see a purple cast over the zoomed-in image. The purple cast is not part of the image file itself, and it goes away after a reboot.

Of the two issues, the second is rarer. I've queried the membership of the l-camera forum, Samy's, Hollywood Leica Boutique, and no one has any idea. I can send the camera back to Leica for servicing, but have been advised that it would have to go all the way back to Solms, and that it is entirely possible that Leica won't be able to replicate, and therefore repair, the problem. I'd hate to be without a camera for many weeks (especially since I have a lot of shooting planned over the next few weeks) only to have it returned in the same state it was in before.

Has anyone experienced either of these issues before? I'd appreciate your feedback if you have.

Thanks!

Arka C.

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Pavel
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M240 issues

I liked my Leica M8 very much. It however had problems similar to yours and a bit worse as I had a green line at high iso in most of my shots.
I brought the M8 home and started to takes some shot. Man, did I ever feel marvelous shooting it. After about sixty shots and an hour ... the camera died. Full stop, dead.

So I sent if off. It went to New Jersey, I think and the turnaround time was an impressive eight days.

I went to take some more happy pictures. After a few hours the camera froze. A restart brought it back to life. By evening however it froze on more times. I looked as some of the shots and found a faint green line in the middle of most, but not all frames that were shot at high iso.

So off it went. Again. Stuff happens. It came back in a less impressive three weeks and now did not freeze at all, even after three days. The photos however now had that green line, at all iso values.

I returned the body for a full refund.

The moral of the story is ... you may WANT to send it to Germany. I hear that the M8 was particularly bad. I think the new bodies since have had a good record, so this is probably just the kind of bad luck that can afflict any make. But sending it stateside is something I wold not do, based on my former experience with QA at the US of A.

Good luck. Get it fixed, hopefully Correctly!

Nov 04, 2013 at 08:59 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M240 issues

Pavel, your problems with the M8 sound a lot more serious than what I am experiencing with the M240. Most of the issues I am having are resolved with a simple reset, and none affect ultimate image quality (except that shutter lockups prevent me from shooting an image in the first place). I am told that the shutter lockups are simply a fact of firmware life with the M240, but the purple cast issue is something that is kind of freaking me out, especially for a camera of this expense level. I just hate the idea of sending the camera away for weeks at a time (speaks to how much I am enjoying it, I guess). One person who sent his M to Solms got it back 4 weeks later completely reassembled, but ultimately the problems in the firmware persisted.

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:11 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M240 issues

Sorry to hear of your problems Arka but I suppose such is life with a Leica. My M240 has locked up a few times at no given frequency. I soon realized that it only happened when I took a shot and then quickly turned off the camera before it had time to write to the card. BUT - ever since I installed the new firmware, this doesn't happen at all (knock on wood). Apparently the new firmare makes the camera more "stable" but time will tell. As far as the purple cast - I have no idea. Did you install the new firmware? You may want to try that first. If it all still bothers you, it may be time for a trip to Germany. All the best!

Nov 04, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M240 issues

Thanks Gary,

Yup, I am on the latest firmware. The freezing issues may be slightly improved, but the purple cast still worries me.

Arka C.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Planetwide
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M240 issues

Arka,

Try selecting DNG compression off, I would try a different SD card as well. The purple screen is more than likely related to the card. I ran into problems with the EVF, so I set brightness (EVF) at max. The camera will lock if the EVF is slightly out of its socket too.

Good luck
Andrew

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:06 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M240 issues

Purple cast is most likely software fu*kup. Only firmware can fix that.

About freezing, no idea.. considering how it happens, it might be software issue too. Leica can design amazing things, but apparently software part isnt one of their strengths.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:07 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M240 issues

As far as I understand there are two reasons for both symptoms, the memory card and overheating. Sometimes it's a combination of both. Overheating can happen from using the camera in LV, shooting in high ambient temperature, or shooting continuously for longer periods. Turning off the camera while it's still writing can do that as Gary mentioned. Samsung cards for some reason seem to be the most compatible with M cameras. I wouldn't send the camera in for just that. I would wait to see if things get worse, but I would certainly send an email to describe the problem to Leica customer service in Germany.

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:15 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M240 issues

Hi Arka,

Great advice so far I second testing different SD cards, as there has been a lot researched on the LUF. I have two M240's, and I did have the odd lock up, which were quickly resolved. The new firmware update is great, as the WB is now excellent with better skin tones. So far the lockups have not occurred either. The purple cast, I have not experienced, but I know Adamewilde has and did post some shots in the forum. I agree with Andrew here, do try some different cards, and see if the issue with the purple cast is related to the type of SD card.

If that fails, do send the M240 away, but I would strongly ask for a loan M240 in the meantime. I feel it is important to emphasis to Leica, that yes we do appreciate the follow up and service, but to have a camera as backup for customers having to send their M's away for an extended period is almost a must In past I have been loaned M9's and lenses when they had to be sent back to Solms.

Edited on Nov 06, 2013 at 01:30 AM · View previous versions

Nov 04, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M240 issues

This is all very helpful advice and information, thanks to all.

As to cards, I've been using a Sandisk 64GB 95MB/s card, and a 32GB 30MB/s card. Both seem to give rise to the purple cast issue, though it is highly intermittent. The good news about the cast is that it doesn't seem to be inherent in the image files themselves; it looks like an artifact of zooming in using the camera's image review function. I plan to call a Leica tech guy here in the U.S. (NJ) tomorrow to see if he has any insight on the problem.

Charles, I've been trying to arrange a loaner in case my camera goes to Solms. The Leica buyer at Samy's arranged for a loaner M for up to a week, but if my camera is gone for longer than that, I'd be out of luck. Maybe asking Leica to provide a loaner in person is the way to go?

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M240 issues

Im not 100% sure, but in case I am, Sandiscs cause a lot of trouble with M9?

Nov 04, 2013 at 11:57 PM
3D.Doug
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M240 issues

M9 is limitedf to 32 gb I believe. But I think there are cards that cause issues. I have had really good luck with Kingston cards in my M9. I think I only use 16s, or they may be 32. I would have to look and see what they are.

Really, as far as getting a replacement camera. If a person really needs to shoot a lot, a person needs 2 cameras with possible continued technical issues from now on, you just can't rely on one camera of any kind. A backuo is a must. Myself I shoot strictly amateur, and I have 3 nikons, and 1 Leica. I'm never without a camera, that's for sure.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M240 issues

3D.Doug wrote:
Really, as far as getting a replacement camera. If a person really needs to shoot a lot, a person needs 2 cameras with possible continued technical issues from now on, you just can't rely on one camera of any kind. A backuo is a must. Myself I shoot strictly amateur, and I have 3 nikons, and 1 Leica. I'm never without a camera, that's for sure.

Well, I have a camera if I send this one in... 2 in fact. But they are Nikon D800s, which definitely aren't Ms. Unassailable image quality and performance, but a very different feel from the M.

Nov 05, 2013 at 12:53 AM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M240 issues

I have the exact same issue with two bodies.. It's a known problem, however the magenta issue on zoom went away with the latest firmware.

My suggestion to you, don't send it in. I sent in my 50APO with a promise that the lens would be turned around in a few days. It's been gone almost a month. And I keep getting bullshit emails about how they're having production problems and are low on parts. Meanwhile, my dealer has offered me a 50APO twice now, as he knows mines in the shop, and he's trying to tempt me into buying a new one, as he seems to think mine will be gone months. In fact, I know that the newest 50APO is newer then when my lens was sent in, as my dealer got it three days ago! So they're just more concern with making new M cameras, and new lenses, then they are with fixing the ones they've already sold.

Just deal with it, and in the next update or so, the issue will be gone I'm sure. I wouldn't send my bodies in unless there's a very clear problem with no walk around (sensor cracked or etc).

Nov 05, 2013 at 02:24 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M240 issues

Adam, thanks for your advice. I will call Leica's NJ expert and see what he suggests as well.

Nov 05, 2013 at 08:34 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M240 issues

3D.Doug wrote:

I have nothing to really add here, other than to say that the above is my biggest underlying fear shooting paid work with Leica. So far in the nearly 3 years working with my M9, I have never gone to a job with only the Leica. Always with a DSLR backup, which I use anyways for telephoto work to take advantage of AF...

I guess Leica is just not large enough to provide pro loaner service, but I sure would love it if they did. For $250/year here, Canon Canada will turn around repairs in a few days and in the meantime provide an identical loaner. The last time I sent my M9 to NJ (shortly after buying it used), it took about 1.5 months to get it back (granted, it was over the Xmas/New Year holiday when they were closed for a week). Yet, in the EU you can opt for two levels of expedited service, at a cost. Would be reassuring if they could do that for North America too.

It's one thing buying a second back up body if it's a $1000-2000-3000 camera, but at the M240's price point, it gets to be more prohibitive. And if one is an early adopter, good luck getting two cameras at the same time from Leica, unless you're on their super A-list.

I also would advise against sending the camera in with any kind of nebulous, difficult to reproduce problem. There is always something lost in the passing of information from you to the CSR to the technician... My prediction is they will say they need to see it in order to determine if there is a problem with it.

Nov 05, 2013 at 09:34 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M240 issues

rscheffler wrote:
I have nothing to really add here, other than to say that the above is my biggest underlying fear shooting paid work with Leica. So far in the nearly 3 years working with my M9, I have never gone to a job with only the Leica. Always with a DSLR backup, which I use anyways for telephoto work to take advantage of AF...

I guess Leica is just not large enough to provide pro loaner service, but I sure would love it if they did. For $250/year here, Canon Canada will turn around repairs in a few days and in the
...Show more

Exactly. Even if I could get my hands on a second M240, I really don't like the idea of sinking $7000 into a backup. The one camera already costs more than both my D800s with a Sigma 35 f/1.4.

Nov 06, 2013 at 12:27 AM
atwl77
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M240 issues

Hello, just registered to chime in on the colour cast.

My M240 also exhibits this, although I am not 100% certain I believe it can happen if you attempt to magnify while the camera is still accessing from the SD card (i.e. the light is still blinking). This happens at the 2nd level of magnification for me (i.e. two click levels of zoom). It is very likely a software issue.

Nov 06, 2013 at 11:25 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica M240 issues

I assume the crashes wherein the shutter button doesn't fire are par for the course for this camera? Is there anything you guys do to reduce the frequency of crashes/shutter failures? The other day I was shooting fairly robustly, and I am pretty sure the shutter froze 3 times over the course of 200 shots. Cost me a few pictures, and it is overall just very annoying.

Arka C.

Nov 10, 2013 at 04:08 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica M240 issues

If the M9 shutter is of any indication, make sure you release your index from the button before firing again in S mode. It happens to me sometimes too.

Nov 10, 2013 at 05:53 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.