Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              121      
122
       123              194       195       end
  

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless
  
 
miklar
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #1 · p.122 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


rji2goleez wrote:
I decided to post these images here on the heals of Samuli review of the 35/2.8FE. I wanted to go out with the a7R and really test it out but it's been so damn cold here in Minneapolis. Well, I decided to go out early this evening just for a little as it's (-3F) but I have an itchy shutter finger!

I decided to shoot a nearby bridge and wanted to compare the 35/2.8FE along with the M Rokkor 40/2 CLE. I was surprised by the results from the M Rokkor. Reflections are all over the place in both images. The
...Show more

Congratulations for going out on such a cold evening. Hopefully your fingers are still where they should be
The Rokkor lens shows a lot of internal reflections, are you sure the lens was clean?
Nice shots, BTW
Cheers



Dec 08, 2013 at 02:28 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #2 · p.122 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


miklar wrote:
Congratulations for going out on such a cold evening. Hopefully your fingers are still where they should be
The Rokkor lens shows a lot of internal reflections, are you sure the lens was clean?
Nice shots, BTW
Cheers


I'm pretty sure it was clean. And there doesn't seem to be any internal dust that I can see. I guess I'll have to experiment more.



Dec 08, 2013 at 02:35 AM
ytwong
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #3 · p.122 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


I hope someone can answer this...... If I do a long exposure (say, 10 minutes), would the LCD/EVF remain on during the exposure? Is there a way to turn those off? (I'm sure those on my NEXs are on during exposure). Thanks.


Dec 08, 2013 at 02:47 AM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #4 · p.122 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


You can set everything to show in the EVF, which will disable the monitor. The EVF will not be on when your eye is not against it.


Dec 08, 2013 at 02:51 AM
michael49
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #5 · p.122 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


snapsy wrote:
Not that I've found yet. There is a "Zoom" option that can be assigned to the custom buttons but it doesn't appear to be for image zoom because I get an odd error when I tried to use that assignment.


Its really a shame, in my view, because the C2 button as zoom in playback just seems to be so poorly placed, everything else on the camera is so customizable that is surprises me that this can't be reassigned to some other button.



Dec 08, 2013 at 02:52 AM
sebboh
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #6 · p.122 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


rji2goleez wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was clean. And there doesn't seem to be any internal dust that I can see. I guess I'll have to experiment more.


did you have a filter on the lens?




Dec 08, 2013 at 03:00 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #7 · p.122 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


sebboh wrote:
did you have a filter on the lens?



No filter . . .



Dec 08, 2013 at 03:01 AM
shelt
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #8 · p.122 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


rji2goleez wrote:
I decided to post these images here on the heals of Samuli review of the 35/2.8FE. I wanted to go out with the a7R and really test it out but it's been so damn cold here in Minneapolis. Well, I decided to go out early this evening just for a little as it's (-3F) but I have an itchy shutter finger!

I decided to shoot a nearby bridge and wanted to compare the 35/2.8FE along with the M Rokkor 40/2 CLE. I was surprised by the results from the M Rokkor. Reflections are all over the place in both images. The
...Show more

I think the NEXs, a7 and a7r all suffer from some sort of internal reflections with very strong light sources at night. I seem to see it in many lenses (FE 35, Leica 35 Lux FLE, Contax g90, etc). Not sure whether it's the sensor cover or reflections off the rear of the lenses. The moon, streetlights, headlights seem to cause localized reflections regardless of the lens


Edited on Dec 08, 2013 at 03:21 AM · View previous versions



Dec 08, 2013 at 03:15 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #9 · p.122 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


I'll be curious to compare with my Zeiss ZE 35/2 to see if it shows the same. Somehow, I don't think it's the a7(R) sensor . . . maybe wishful thinking.



Dec 08, 2013 at 03:17 AM
Taylor Sherman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #10 · p.122 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


shelt wrote:
I think the NEXs, a7 and a7r all suffer from some sort of internal reflections with very strong light sources at night. I seem to see it in many lenses. Not sure whether it's the sensor cover or reflections off the rear of the lenses. The moon, streetlights, headlights seem to cause localized reflections regardless of the lens


Yes, I see this too. I'm definitely sad the A7s have it. I don't know if it's for all lenses, or just some situations. But I know that when those lenses are used on other cameras (eg Leica), they don't have the problem. My fear is that it's reflections within the sensor toppings.

Some examples on the Nex-7:

Summicron-M 28/2:


ZM 50/2:


CV 180/4 APO-Lanthar


Super-Elmar-M 21/3.4






Dec 08, 2013 at 03:23 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



darrellc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #11 · p.122 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


I see the same internal reflections across the 3 lenses I have as well. Sometimes UV filters cause it but I tried removing them. I thought about putting gaffers tape or a similar material in the barrel of my adapters in case they're the culprits (they seem to have reflective internal surfaces) but have yet to try.


Dec 08, 2013 at 03:30 AM
ytwong
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #12 · p.122 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


carstenw wrote:
You can set everything to show in the EVF, which will disable the monitor. The EVF will not be on when your eye is not against it.


Thanks. Probably not the most convenient way but at least it seems possible. That might be important since turning unnecessary stuffs off could reduce battery drainage and heat.

Now I need to consider some inexpensive optical viewfinder options.(..I didn't expect I'd consider one)



Dec 08, 2013 at 04:20 AM
Taylor Sherman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #13 · p.122 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


darrellc wrote:
I see the same internal reflections across the 3 lenses I have as well. Sometimes UV filters cause it but I tried removing them. I thought about putting gaffers tape or a similar material in the barrel of my adapters in case they're the culprits (they seem to have reflective internal surfaces) but have yet to try.


The close spacing and ever-increasing size of the reflections makes me pretty sure, actually, that it's internal reflections in the sensor toppings. I can see the image of the light moving in a back-and-forth pattern between two or three layers, with partial reflection meaning that some light gets through each time and lands on the sensor.



Dec 08, 2013 at 06:31 AM
Samuli Vahonen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #14 · p.122 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


rji2goleez wrote:
I decided to post these images here on the heals of Samuli review of the 35/2.8FE. I wanted to go out with the a7R and really test it out but it's been so damn cold here in Minneapolis. Well, I decided to go out early this evening just for a little as it's (-3F) but I have an itchy shutter finger!

I decided to shoot a nearby bridge and wanted to compare the 35/2.8FE along with the M Rokkor 40/2 CLE. I was surprised by the results from the M Rokkor. Reflections are all over the place in both images. The
...Show more
Bob,

-4 here but luckily Celsius however light at midday on these cloudy winter days seems to be at max like f/2.8 & 1/60s, not really inspiring.


Already 3 members have sent me PM/email and indicated that the local flaring what I found odd in FE35 is actually "Sony thing" and happens with NEX-cameras with Sony and non-Sony lenses. Why we don't know, one writer said it might be reflections between sensor topping layers in addition to "normal" sensor to rear lens element.

Minolta has odd blue dots all over the photo - weird. Also local point reflections close to light source can be seen, and they seem worse than with FE35.

FE35 images hard to estimate on this small size and with JPG artifacts:
- 1st photo local point reflections close to light source itself (I had exactly the same)
- 2nd photo either suffers from JPG artifacts OR there are helv a lot of weird things going on close to light sources. Could you please post crop of 2nd light from left, it looks really odd like there would be local snowstorm around that light.

Samuli



Dec 08, 2013 at 08:50 AM
Samuli Vahonen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #15 · p.122 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


carstenw wrote:
You can set everything to show in the EVF, which will disable the monitor. The EVF will not be on when your eye is not against it.

If you are referring to function "Deactivate monitor" (I have set mine to C3), it stops drawing to monitor but leaves LCD backlight on - so I don't know does it really save battery to turn it off, since LCD display itself isn't supposed to use energy when there are no pixel changes (that they teach us 20 years ago in school ), which there are none during the exposure.

Samuli



Dec 08, 2013 at 08:54 AM
wfrank
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #16 · p.122 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Has anyone seen leather half cases for the A7s yet?


Dec 08, 2013 at 10:47 AM
rji2goleez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #17 · p.122 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Bob,

-4 here but luckily Celsius however light at midday on these cloudy winter days seems to be at max like f/2.8 & 1/60s, not really inspiring.

Already 3 members have sent me PM/email and indicated that the local flaring what I found odd in FE35 is actually "Sony thing" and happens with NEX-cameras with Sony and non-Sony lenses. Why we don't know, one writer said it might be reflections between sensor topping layers in addition to "normal" sensor to rear lens element.

Minolta has odd blue dots all over the photo - weird. Also local point reflections close to
...Show more

Samuli - here's approximately a 100% crop of that area. I haven't seen this effect on any other images with this lens or any other on the a7R.









Dec 08, 2013 at 01:44 PM
carstenw
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #18 · p.122 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Samuli Vahonen wrote:
If you are referring to function "Deactivate monitor" (I have set mine to C3), it stops drawing to monitor but leaves LCD backlight on - so I don't know does it really save battery to turn it off, since LCD display itself isn't supposed to use energy when there are no pixel changes (that they teach us 20 years ago in school ), which there are none during the exposure.

Samuli


I use Deactivate Monitor, but I was actually referring to Menu/Gear/3/FINDER/MONITOR/Viewfinder.



Dec 08, 2013 at 03:17 PM
snapsy
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #19 · p.122 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


Samuli Vahonen wrote:
If you are referring to function "Deactivate monitor" (I have set mine to C3), it stops drawing to monitor but leaves LCD backlight on - so I don't know does it really save battery to turn it off, since LCD display itself isn't supposed to use energy when there are no pixel changes (that they teach us 20 years ago in school ), which there are none during the exposure.

Samuli


I wonder if the sensor read-out turns off when "deactivate monitor" is set and an eye is not to the EVF. Not sure if this would save much in battery life but it could reduce heat/noise off the sensor.



Dec 08, 2013 at 03:24 PM
Samuli Vahonen
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #20 · p.122 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless


carstenw wrote:
I use Deactivate Monitor, but I was actually referring to Menu/Gear/3/FINDER/MONITOR/Viewfinder.

Ah, ok.

Hmmm, again new thing which I had not found earlier, had it at auto. Checked when changed to Viewfinder it don't have monitor's backlight turned on. Useful setting when only shooting handheld, but for normal use not so useful since from tripod I prefer >75% of time to use the monitor.

Samuli



Dec 08, 2013 at 04:30 PM
1       2       3              121      
122
       123              194       195       end




FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              121      
122
       123              194       195       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password