FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              121      
       123              194       195       end

Archive 2013 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.122 #1 · p.122 #1 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

You can set everything to show in the EVF, which will disable the monitor. The EVF will not be on when your eye is not against it.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:51 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.122 #2 · p.122 #2 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

snapsy wrote:
Not that I've found yet. There is a "Zoom" option that can be assigned to the custom buttons but it doesn't appear to be for image zoom because I get an odd error when I tried to use that assignment.

Its really a shame, in my view, because the C2 button as zoom in playback just seems to be so poorly placed, everything else on the camera is so customizable that is surprises me that this can't be reassigned to some other button.

Dec 07, 2013 at 09:52 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.122 #3 · p.122 #3 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

rji2goleez wrote:
I'm pretty sure it was clean. And there doesn't seem to be any internal dust that I can see. I guess I'll have to experiment more.

did you have a filter on the lens?

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:00 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.122 #4 · p.122 #4 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

sebboh wrote:
did you have a filter on the lens?

No filter . . .

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:01 PM
shelt
• •
p.122 #5 · p.122 #5 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

rji2goleez wrote:
I decided to post these images here on the heals of Samuli review of the 35/2.8FE. I wanted to go out with the a7R and really test it out but it's been so damn cold here in Minneapolis. Well, I decided to go out early this evening just for a little as it's (-3F) but I have an itchy shutter finger!

I decided to shoot a nearby bridge and wanted to compare the 35/2.8FE along with the M Rokkor 40/2 CLE. I was surprised by the results from the M Rokkor. Reflections are all over the place in both images. The
...Show more

I think the NEXs, a7 and a7r all suffer from some sort of internal reflections with very strong light sources at night. I seem to see it in many lenses (FE 35, Leica 35 Lux FLE, Contax g90, etc). Not sure whether it's the sensor cover or reflections off the rear of the lenses. The moon, streetlights, headlights seem to cause localized reflections regardless of the lens

Edited on Dec 07, 2013 at 10:21 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:15 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.122 #6 · p.122 #6 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I'll be curious to compare with my Zeiss ZE 35/2 to see if it shows the same. Somehow, I don't think it's the a7(R) sensor . . . maybe wishful thinking.

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.122 #7 · p.122 #7 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

shelt wrote:
I think the NEXs, a7 and a7r all suffer from some sort of internal reflections with very strong light sources at night. I seem to see it in many lenses. Not sure whether it's the sensor cover or reflections off the rear of the lenses. The moon, streetlights, headlights seem to cause localized reflections regardless of the lens

Yes, I see this too. I'm definitely sad the A7s have it. I don't know if it's for all lenses, or just some situations. But I know that when those lenses are used on other cameras (eg Leica), they don't have the problem. My fear is that it's reflections within the sensor toppings.

Some examples on the Nex-7:

Summicron-M 28/2:

ZM 50/2:

CV 180/4 APO-Lanthar

Super-Elmar-M 21/3.4

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:23 PM
darrellc
• • • •
p.122 #8 · p.122 #8 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

I see the same internal reflections across the 3 lenses I have as well. Sometimes UV filters cause it but I tried removing them. I thought about putting gaffers tape or a similar material in the barrel of my adapters in case they're the culprits (they seem to have reflective internal surfaces) but have yet to try.

Dec 07, 2013 at 10:30 PM
ytwong
• • • •
p.122 #9 · p.122 #9 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
You can set everything to show in the EVF, which will disable the monitor. The EVF will not be on when your eye is not against it.

Thanks. Probably not the most convenient way but at least it seems possible. That might be important since turning unnecessary stuffs off could reduce battery drainage and heat.

Now I need to consider some inexpensive optical viewfinder options.(..I didn't expect I'd consider one)

Dec 07, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.122 #10 · p.122 #10 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

darrellc wrote:
I see the same internal reflections across the 3 lenses I have as well. Sometimes UV filters cause it but I tried removing them. I thought about putting gaffers tape or a similar material in the barrel of my adapters in case they're the culprits (they seem to have reflective internal surfaces) but have yet to try.

The close spacing and ever-increasing size of the reflections makes me pretty sure, actually, that it's internal reflections in the sensor toppings. I can see the image of the light moving in a back-and-forth pattern between two or three layers, with partial reflection meaning that some light gets through each time and lands on the sensor.

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.122 #11 · p.122 #11 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

rji2goleez wrote:
I decided to post these images here on the heals of Samuli review of the 35/2.8FE. I wanted to go out with the a7R and really test it out but it's been so damn cold here in Minneapolis. Well, I decided to go out early this evening just for a little as it's (-3F) but I have an itchy shutter finger!

I decided to shoot a nearby bridge and wanted to compare the 35/2.8FE along with the M Rokkor 40/2 CLE. I was surprised by the results from the M Rokkor. Reflections are all over the place in both images. The
...Show more
Bob,

-4 here but luckily Celsius however light at midday on these cloudy winter days seems to be at max like f/2.8 & 1/60s, not really inspiring.

Already 3 members have sent me PM/email and indicated that the local flaring what I found odd in FE35 is actually "Sony thing" and happens with NEX-cameras with Sony and non-Sony lenses. Why we don't know, one writer said it might be reflections between sensor topping layers in addition to "normal" sensor to rear lens element.

Minolta has odd blue dots all over the photo - weird. Also local point reflections close to light source can be seen, and they seem worse than with FE35.

FE35 images hard to estimate on this small size and with JPG artifacts:
- 1st photo local point reflections close to light source itself (I had exactly the same)
- 2nd photo either suffers from JPG artifacts OR there are helv a lot of weird things going on close to light sources. Could you please post crop of 2nd light from left, it looks really odd like there would be local snowstorm around that light.

Samuli

Dec 08, 2013 at 03:50 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.122 #12 · p.122 #12 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:

If you are referring to function "Deactivate monitor" (I have set mine to C3), it stops drawing to monitor but leaves LCD backlight on - so I don't know does it really save battery to turn it off, since LCD display itself isn't supposed to use energy when there are no pixel changes (that they teach us 20 years ago in school ), which there are none during the exposure.

Samuli

Dec 08, 2013 at 03:54 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.122 #13 · p.122 #13 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Has anyone seen leather half cases for the A7s yet?

Dec 08, 2013 at 05:47 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.122 #14 · p.122 #14 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
Bob,

-4 here but luckily Celsius however light at midday on these cloudy winter days seems to be at max like f/2.8 & 1/60s, not really inspiring.

Already 3 members have sent me PM/email and indicated that the local flaring what I found odd in FE35 is actually "Sony thing" and happens with NEX-cameras with Sony and non-Sony lenses. Why we don't know, one writer said it might be reflections between sensor topping layers in addition to "normal" sensor to rear lens element.

Minolta has odd blue dots all over the photo - weird. Also local point reflections close to
...Show more

Samuli - here's approximately a 100% crop of that area. I haven't seen this effect on any other images with this lens or any other on the a7R.

Dec 08, 2013 at 08:44 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.122 #15 · p.122 #15 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
If you are referring to function "Deactivate monitor" (I have set mine to C3), it stops drawing to monitor but leaves LCD backlight on - so I don't know does it really save battery to turn it off, since LCD display itself isn't supposed to use energy when there are no pixel changes (that they teach us 20 years ago in school ), which there are none during the exposure.

Samuli

I use Deactivate Monitor, but I was actually referring to Menu/Gear/3/FINDER/MONITOR/Viewfinder.

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:17 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.122 #16 · p.122 #16 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Samuli Vahonen wrote:

Samuli

I wonder if the sensor read-out turns off when "deactivate monitor" is set and an eye is not to the EVF. Not sure if this would save much in battery life but it could reduce heat/noise off the sensor.

Dec 08, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
p.122 #17 · p.122 #17 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

carstenw wrote:
I use Deactivate Monitor, but I was actually referring to Menu/Gear/3/FINDER/MONITOR/Viewfinder.

Ah, ok.

Hmmm, again new thing which I had not found earlier, had it at auto. Checked when changed to Viewfinder it don't have monitor's backlight turned on. Useful setting when only shooting handheld, but for normal use not so useful since from tripod I prefer >75% of time to use the monitor.

Samuli

Dec 08, 2013 at 11:30 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.122 #18 · p.122 #18 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Yes, I use it handheld, but not all the time. I wish there were 3 programmable modes, not 2. I would like to have two different handheld settings and one tripod setting.

Dec 08, 2013 at 12:25 PM
KevinNY

p.122 #19 · p.122 #19 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

BTW just discovered that FORMAT SD card command will not work if battery is low, even if monitor is still working. Swapped a new battery in and it became available again.

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:12 PM
itai195
• • • •
p.122 #20 · p.122 #20 · Official: Sony A7 and A7R Fullframe Mirrorless

Does anyone else's A7 seem to consistently underexpose?

Dec 08, 2013 at 01:12 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.