New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

"That is really a huge surprise! Panasonic and Fuji worked together on a new kind of organic sensor! The new sensor has the following advantages over conventional sensors:
1) it has only 1/6 of the thickness of the current sensors
2) Increased Dynamic range of 88DB
3) 1,2 times more sensible
4) range of incident angles of 60 degrees, efficiently utilizing light entering at an angle for faithful color reproduction with no color mixing. It also gives greater flexibility in lens designs, facilitating the reduction of overall camera size."

http://www.43rumors.com/hot-news-panasonic-and-fuji-developed-the-first-organic-sensor/

I guess now it's the battle of Fuji+Panny vs Sony+Olympus, it will be fun to watch .

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:26 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

Very interesting.

Hope to see this technology in large sensor cameras soon.

I haven't read it through yet, does it say anything about the longevity, any problems with aging?

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:53 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

I'm sure this will have some sort of weird rendering problems and that RAW editors won't be able to catch up to it for 2 years after release.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:17 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

That's the standard problem with these patents. Everyone has one, the first I saw actually included in a photographic sensor was back in 2008 (Epson/Seiki).

Sony's first production-stage patents regarding this was in 2009. Panasonic, Samsung, 'omni, STI and Aptina followed suit shortly after.

None of them include material of choice, and all have stated longevity problems as the main source for not going into beta right now.

Edited on Jun 11, 2013 at 08:21 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:19 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

FlyPenFly wrote:
I'm sure this will have some sort of weird rendering problems and that RAW editors won't be able to catch up to it for 2 years after release.

Not really, they're exactly like normal SiliconPD sensor. That's the neat thing about it.

Multilayered versions of this patents (of which there are also quite a few) on the other hand implicates all sorts of different scemes, not currently available in any commercial raw converter.

Jun 11, 2013 at 08:21 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

theSuede wrote:
Not really, they're exactly like normal SiliconPD sensor. That's the neat thing about it.

Multilayered versions of this patents (of which there are also quite a few) on the other hand implicates all sorts of different scemes, not currently available in any commercial raw converter.

That's what engineers always say to get their product green lighted! There are always complications...

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:07 AM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

Not regarding the raw-converters.

If you want a similar "difference in method", the difference between front-illuminated and back-illuminated "normal" sensors is just as big.

There's more difference between a Canon 5Dmk3 and a Canon 5Dmk1 than what you get comparing a 5Dmk3 and this system.

I've seen demos of organic sensors running video in real time, using normal off-the-shelf logic-circuits for de-Bayer and image compression. Worked just fine.

Jun 11, 2013 at 09:36 AM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

theSuede wrote:
None of them include material of choice, and all have stated longevity problems as the main source for not going into beta right now.

That's exactly what I thought, because that (longevity) is probably also the reason why we still don't see big OLED monitors/TVs on the market.
I'd imagine an "organic" sensor would last longer in a camera with OVF (no live view engaged all the time) but camera manufacturers seem to be moving away from those.

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM
v_deakin

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

Here's the bottom part of the official release:

"
(4)Offering high reliability for broader applications

Fujifilm has developed a process technology to produce inorganic films for protecting the organic film. It prevents the entry of moisture and oxygen into the organic film to safeguard it against performance degradation. The sensor technology has cleared reliability tests involving the application of stress such as temperature, humidity, electrical voltage and light, paving the way for the use of the organic CMOS image sensor in a wide range of applications. "

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:40 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

Ah, well there's another twist. Very good!
Hope they'll present something workable soon!

As long as there's no real PITA's about the inorganic film deposit, this also has the added benefit of slightly cheaper sensors. The logic parts in a "normal" sensor is quite deeply buried in the substrate, and this costs both time and accuracy in the MFG process.

Jun 11, 2013 at 01:33 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

I know there has been progress in the oled tv front on longevity, so I'm not surprised to hear that sensors have improved too, I'm looking forward to seeing the first sensors in production.
And with the improved incident angles, bring on the FF EVIL's although I assume this tech will end up in compact cams first.

Jun 11, 2013 at 03:22 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

Awesome, Silkypix for everyone. I think I will stick to traditional bayer CMOS sensors till the raw processors supports the non standards.

Jun 11, 2013 at 04:09 PM
theSuede
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

This is a standard Bayer sensor. Just like any other. The only difference is the photodetector; in CMOS PD it's low-efficiency silicon, in this and nano-dot it's a soluble.

Bayer is the layout pattern of the color filters. And they're identical in this and a "normal sensor". The raw files from this works just fine in ACR, LR, CaptureOne, Aperture - or whatever you want.

The Fuji X-trans is a perfectly normal CMOS sensor, but it doesn't have a Bayer color layout.

Jun 11, 2013 at 05:25 PM
pookipichu
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

This looks very promising, it's shameful that the big players have yet to innovate with sensor technology.

Jun 11, 2013 at 07:30 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

Fujifilm's marketing director stated, about a year ago, that their patent on organic sensors was from their industrial division and had nothing to do with the imaging division. Has this information changed or are people just speculating?

Jun 12, 2013 at 03:48 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Fuji + Panasonic = Organic Sensor

I don't think it's just speculation. If you go to the DPreview page at the bottom you can see a x-sectional TEM of what they call a 3um and 0.9um pixel. Although small the TEMs show the pixel from the top microlens, the CFA, the new material and the metal layers, vias, contacts and even the transistor. The reticles alone to generate wafers with this many layers are in the many hundreds of $k. The dimensions aren't very aggressive compared to CPU technology but we all know that sensors don't use leading edge technology, but it's still a lot of investment to make final devices.

Mike

Jun 12, 2013 at 04:42 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.