Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2013 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Dave_EP
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

There are people around with much hate, and then there are those total supporters.

With Adobe moving to a software rental model (call it what it is!) where do you stand on going forward with adobe products?

May 07, 2013 at 07:44 PM
UCSB
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Didn't vote because it will take me time to weigh an important decision like moving to CC Complete. If the price is low enough, I would not mind renting. But, the price is not low enough yet and it may never happen. I know it will work out for me over the long-run, just not sure what the solution is going to be at this point.

I will give myself a year or two to think through this problem. My LR 4.4 and CS6 Master Suite software exceed/meet all of my needs. I'm pretty sure a viable alternative will open up for me eventually. I've used Capture One and DXO in the past and I am willing to go back to Capture One Pro if LR becomes a problem. I would not subscribe to a rental on LR --- ever. There is absolutely no way I am going to put my entire catalog and every bit of my work there on rental. Even though I am an advanced/experienced Photoshop user, it has always seemed like an awkward fit for photographers. I'm an optimist ... it will work out.

I did notice that Adobe released the new deblur filter and a filter that allows you to apply camera raw adjustments on a layer. These are both attractive to me. Deblur seems like it would be helpful for my increasing volume of cell phone pics. Camera raw adjustments on a layer, while not critical, seems like a nice addition. As Neo had to do in Matrix ... red pill or blue pill ... I may try out the new Photoshop CC free trial.

May 07, 2013 at 08:49 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Currently running licensed versions of LR4.4 and CS6 will hold me for quite a while. In the meantime, based on the feedback that Adobe is getting, and FM members are giving, I would guesstimate that things might settle down in a year or so when I might be in the market for an upgrade. But if not, I imaging I can hold out with what I've got for several years.

Jo

May 07, 2013 at 09:47 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I'm an old fart. in my early 50's and retired.. As with many of you, although I did a lot more work back in the day with medium format and advertising shoots, now it's become my fall back to reality hobby and I just enjoy the whole digital thing period.

With Ps being such an integral part of a huge majority or peoples workflows, I have to tell you I am very disappointed with another vendor taking the piss and moving shop to a rental based application. My step-son (quite younger) had suggested to me that someone start a facebook page to vent and get likes... I have no idea what it's all about, but I did.. And, I had a response from Adobe within 10 minutes of the page creation.

Typical canned response from them..

If we get enough people telling them off in one location, maybe they'll take the time to monitor, think things over.. whatever.

I've placed it here

BOYCOTT ADOBE PS CLOUD

May 07, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Won't be joining .

If Lightroom goes the same way then adobe can stick their s/w where the sun don't shine .
And on the basis of the interview re a future iPad Lightroom app where the guy keeps mentioning the 'cool' things about CC I fear that's where LR is going also .

I think there are a hell of alot of hobby 'togs (serious as well as not so serious hobby shooters) that are suddenly going to think about the cheaper alternatives . I bet adobe shift a fair few more copies of Elements

May 07, 2013 at 10:16 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

One thing I did notice is that if you are a student or teacher, it appears you can get everything for $20 month ... seems like a reasonable deal. Another interesting point, if you go with the Complete level of subscription, it seems to include LR ... so you can include your LR upgrade costs against the cost of your overall subscription.

EDIT: Student/Teacher will be $30 after June ... so that $20 will probably only be for the 1st year.

Edited on May 07, 2013 at 10:35 PM · View previous versions

May 07, 2013 at 10:23 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Dave_EP wrote:
There are people around with much hate

looks to be 40 of them

and then there are those total supporters.

there does appear to be that ONE

May 07, 2013 at 10:31 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I would be much happier supporting Ilford

May 07, 2013 at 10:37 PM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

UCSB wrote:
One thing I did notice is that if you are a student or teacher, it appears you can get everything for $20 month ... seems like a reasonable deal. Another interesting point, if you go with the Complete level of subscription, it seems to include LR ... so you can include your LR upgrade costs against the cost of your overall subscription.

EDIT: Student/Teacher will be $30 after June ... so that $20 will probably only be for the 1st year.

yeah, but don't forget that as soon as you cease being a student you kiss goodbye to that discount. No more buying CS on your last day of school to last you a few years

May 07, 2013 at 11:07 PM
wlpelzmann
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I don't have a problem with the concept of a cloud subscription, since you still have the software on your computer, and it only needs to check once per month for a valid license. Also, I sympathize with Adobe on their piracy losses. So, if the cloud licensing plugs the piracy hole, then they should see a substantial revenue boost.

So, I don't understand why they have to be so greedy. $10 per month would have been acceptable - essentially what we pay now for an upgrade every 18 months. $20 per month doubles the ownership costs, and that is simply unacceptable for someone who considers photography as a hobby.

I had planned to buy CS6 to allow future upgrades, but now that is just a waste of cash. CS5 will do just fine until my operating system no longer supports it.

May 08, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

wlpelzmann wrote:
Also, I sympathize with Adobe on their piracy losses.

I don't.

Adobe has been whining about piracy for years yet that's clearly not affecting its ability to mint money and jack up prices of its products (a counter-intuitive reaction to piracy IMO). In its 2012 fiscal year Adobe reported record revenue of $4.4 billion, had a net profit margin of over 18% (GAAP), generated $1.5 billion in cash flow, and repurchased 11.5 million shares. That is not a company that's hurting from piracy IMHO.

May 08, 2013 at 12:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I picked up the suite with CS6 (had been on CS3), so I'm gonna be good for quite a long time. I don't shoot the latest camera's so the need for upgrades isn't gonna come around too soon either.

As long as you're on CS5 or CS6 and have support for your camera via LR or PS, I don't see it being near the issue that everyone makes it out to be. If you are a high dollar kinda person that has to have the latest & greatest that Canon, Nikon or Sony comes out with every generation, then you really shouldn't be quibbling over a few hundred extra dollars spread out over time. And if you are that person, you've probably already got your own version of CS6 anyway, so you should be good for a while as is.

Yeah ... it is a bite in the backside that they have changed their model without giving us a choice, but I think the writing was on the wall when they had the upgrade debacle with CS6 earlier. It's easy to get all bent out of shape on it, but while everyone is clamoring about how they are gonna jump ship to C1 ... hmmm, that'll cost more than the difference @ PS. I think Adobe, did their homework ... and even if it does P.O. people at the notion of it ... I think we'll gripe about it a whole lot more than we'll actually switch.

Are there other options ... yup ... but if you've vested this much effort into learning the Adobe way ... the cost delta might be chump change compared to investing in and learning a new one. I figure that for some who were curious at C1, etc. ... this might push them that way out of spite, but for most serious PS users ... they'll stick with PS. Did they win any brownie points with me on it ... nope. Will it push me out of PS, probably not ... and I think they kinda figured as much.

Edited on May 08, 2013 at 01:02 AM · View previous versions

May 08, 2013 at 12:48 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Those of us who use Adobe's products professionally really have no choice in the matter. Upgrade or become obsolete. To be held over a barrel like this only makes us resent Adobe as a company that much more. They already have one of the worst customer service reputations in the tech sector and this is only going to cement that in many people's minds. There are maybe two people defending Adobe over at Luminous Landscape and at least one of them has very very close ties to Adobe. Other than that, there seems to be near universal disapproval. Just spoke to a photog friend in Monterey who recently shelled out for the entire Master Collection. I don't think he's really thrilled at this moment.

May 08, 2013 at 12:56 AM
John P Mulgrew
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

[Also, I sympathize with Adobe on their piracy losses.}

Piracy can pay off too. I had a pirated version of 7 on my computer for the longest time and was intimidated by PS so I took an online class and started liking it and bought CS for the full amount, $700.00 or something like that and have been purchasing the upgrades ever since, every upgrade. I'll leave Adobe as well unless they have some kind of discount for people who just use PS with ACR.

May 08, 2013 at 01:19 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

It'll be years before this has a real impact on adobe, if at all. I'll keep my CS6 but sooner or later I won't have an ACR option for a new camera and then I'll need to choose. For the time being I plan on sticking with Lr.

Piracy losses are not real in my opinion. They're generally quoted as if every pirate would have purchased a legitimate copy if they were not pirating a copy, but that is simply unrealistic. Very often if they could not pirate a copy then they would simply go without.

May 08, 2013 at 01:27 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

I plan on keeping my 5D2 for a while and maybe buying a 5D3 later in the year. I currently own CS5 which supports both cameras. I'll continue to use LR to process my raw files and since Adobe plans to continue selling Lightroom as a standalone, non-cloud app, at least with any new camera technology, LR should be able to support it for raw conversions. Even with CS5, I'll have enough tools to use it for what I need it for.

My fear is with new third party plug-in's and other software that may not be compatible in CS5 or CS6 for that matter. In addition, any upgrades in operating systems on my Mac may also spell doom for CS5 or CS6. I may be way off here but this is my take and fear.

May 08, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Adobe is trying to get blood out of a rock. The photo business is in turmoil with the majority having profits shrinking. The pool of full time professionals is shrinking as well. The population here on FM is >80% amateur, myself included.

Some of us amateurs may continue with Adobe because of our investments in PSD files and we can afford it -- because we are amateurs and have a steady source of income. I'm sure the rest of the amateur base is going to be looking elsewhere.

What of the squeezed professional photog or the part timer? They'll be looking elsewhere too. If good enough works in the smartphone / camera business, it may work with other software choices as well.

May 08, 2013 at 02:25 AM
pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

Alan321 wrote:
Piracy losses are not real in my opinion. They're generally quoted as if every pirate would have purchased a legitimate copy if they were not pirating a copy, but that is simply unrealistic. Very often if they could not pirate a copy then they would simply go without.

Agreed... IMO piracy is a convenient yet hollow excuse that companies like Adobe use to justify price increases on products already making plenty of money. Wanna increase market share and reduce piracy? Economics 101 suggests prices should go lower, not higher.

May 08, 2013 at 02:27 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

wlpelzmann wrote:
I don't have a problem with the concept of a cloud subscription, since you still have the software on your computer, and it only needs to check once per month for a valid license. Also, I sympathize with Adobe on their piracy losses. So, if the cloud licensing plugs the piracy hole, then they should see a substantial revenue boost.

So, I don't understand why they have to be so greedy. $10 per month would have been acceptable - essentially what we pay now for an upgrade every 18 months. $20 per month doubles the ownership costs, and that is simply
...Show more

!!! Right, Adobe is going to solve piracy. Suuuuuuure.

May 08, 2013 at 04:23 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What are your plans re-Adobe CC ?

wlpelzmann wrote:

So, I don't understand why they have to be so greedy. $10 per month would have been acceptable - essentially what we pay now for an upgrade every 18 months. $20 per month doubles the ownership costs, and that is simply
...Show more

They could always have it check in once a month on a perpetual license just as easily though haha the whole excuse doesn't even make any sense (not that I like such things since if the company ever gets sold, goes under, or who knows whatever goes on....).

And the crackers could just remove that check as easily as the call in to activate thing. I suppose they could reset the system constantly but they could do that with non 'cloud' subscriptions just the same.

May 08, 2013 at 05:03 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password