Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · BIF

CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · BIF

I'm not really into BIF that much but this morning a young cardinal was caught in my screened in porch so before swooshing it outside I clicked off a few pictures. All critiques welcome. Robert

Apr 09, 2013 at 11:39 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · BIF

BIF are tough!
You have some nice outlines of the bird and its feathers, a nice capture with the open beak. the lighting gives it a bit of translucent, X-Ray like look.
Improvements?
Of course, the screen. It does show.
Some further shadow detail. Can you extract any? Or as is, has a more artsy feel.
More room on the left for the bird to fly into. Bottom space as presented is more "optional"
Dust spots or marks in screen, upper left
Not sure what the blotchy brownish areas are top and bottom on the left

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:52 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #3 · BIF

hey thanks sbeme. i was shooting at +1 1/2 ev as it was. the bird was somewhat panic stricken and was going from panel to panel. I didn't spend much time trying to get it out. Yep I'm guilty of not checking that sensor dust. Dang it. And the brownish could be just the yellow pollen on the screen.

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:07 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · BIF

I meant to say I didn't spend much time shooting before trying to get it out. It's sibling was flying around the screen outside making the matters worse.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · BIF

You might need further EV compensation, blowing out the sky. Or fill flash for optimal exposure, detail.
I do like the "outlined" version and the translucent feathers are really neat.

Scott

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:00 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · BIF

The translucent feathers are kinda cool. Fill flash for some detail would have been nice.

I've tried to chase one of these frantic fellows inside a screened porch before as well. It is easier said than done ... particularly when you are going around in a circle and your lighting changes from front lit to side lit to back lit in a matter of seconds. It is hard to retain your attention on the changing subject/lighting orientation while trying to focus on a frantically moving target. Dodging the sibling only ups the ante on the difficulty factor. I can relate & respect.

Took a stab at it.
Could use more work and definitely an S&P to taste at where you want to take it, but you get the gist.

Edited on Apr 10, 2013 at 02:11 PM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2013 at 01:37 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · BIF

RustyBug wrote:
The translucent feathers are kinda cool. Fill flash for some detail would have been nice.

I've tried to chase one of these frantic fellows inside a screened porch before as well. It is easier said than done ... particularly when you are going around in a circle and your lighting changes from front lit to side lit to back lit in a matter of seconds. It is hard to retain your attention on the changing subject/lighting orientation while trying to focus on a frantically moving target. Dodging the sibling only ups the ante on the difficulty factor. I can relate
...Show more
You said it.
BIF is so tough, and changing exposure "on the fly" only adds to the complexity. Got to anticipate the shot, exposure prior to the bird flying by.

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · BIF

looks good Kent.

Apr 10, 2013 at 02:29 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #9 · BIF

Thanks and yes it does look better with a little tweak in the exposure. I was afraid of picking up too much noise so I added a very little, maybe +.33ev

The darn thing was actually punching holes in my screen with it's claws too! I was having fun but glad to see it go.

Apr 10, 2013 at 03:56 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · BIF

Thanks guys.

I just replaced a couple screens this week (ladder work, yuck), so I feel your pain at claws/talons doing some damage.

Apr 12, 2013 at 05:02 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · BIF

I like Kent's re-work. Cute bird!

Apr 13, 2013 at 02:00 AM
scottykphoto

p.1 #12 · BIF

Nice capture! For what it's worth, what you have here is a Tufted Titmouse, not a Cardinal.

Apr 15, 2013 at 02:13 AM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #13 · BIF

scotty, hey thanks for the correction. I thought the little crest on his head was just a juvenile cardinal with no color yet. thanks. Robert

Apr 17, 2013 at 03:39 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password