Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Skarkowtsky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Hi guys,

I'm dumping all my Speedotron gear for AlienBees. Have a gig coming up and need to purchase ASAP.

I'm buying:
(2) Einstein
(1) 1600w AlienBee

I didn't use wireless triggers with my Speedos, but want to with the new gear. Are the wireless units built-in, or do I need something extra? I'll need something for my camera body, too.

What do I need to shoot out of the box, wirelessly?

Thanks!
John

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

The obvious choice to is to stick with the PCB triggers, their Cybersync line. The website has all the info you need but basically nothing is built in, its all added but the Einsteins come close since their module plugs in and you get an integrated package which is darned close to built in.

You can use any other trigger you want as well. Pocket Wizard does support the PCB lights with an integrated system that also controls light output but its more expensive. Then there are any of the regular PW triggers, Yongnuo, Phottix, etc. which will use the sync jack on the lights. The easiest might just be the PCB stuff though. You have to decide. I know PCB's tech support is pretty good at answering questions - give em a call.

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:22 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Thanks! One more question: I don't see Chimera softbox Speedrings on their site. Do they sell one?

Apr 06, 2013 at 02:51 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Other than saving a few $$, is there any particular reason to get the AB1600 instead of a 3rd Einstein?

You could post the Chimera speedring question on their tech support forum.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:41 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Found the balcar like new on eBay.

Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Found the balcar like new on eBay.

Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Wasn't about saving the money but rather having a little more power when needed. With the speedos I shot a lot of subjects with the key light between 800 and 2000Ws.

Don't want to forfeit the option. Two Einsteins are sufficient for me.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:42 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Skarkowtsky wrote:
Wasn't about saving the money but rather having a little more power when needed.

Don't get confused by the model names; the B1600 is 640Ws maximum, the same as the Einstein...but much less functionality.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/b1600.php

http://www.paulcbuff.com/e640.php

"1600" goes back to when Paul was marketing his strobes using the dubious "effective watt seconds" scam, something he quit doing...and started deriding other manufacurers for doing.

Edited on Apr 06, 2013 at 03:50 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:47 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Shit!!!! I wonder if I can change the order Monday morn

Thanks for pointing that out guys. In my haste, I overlooked that. Now I'll def upgrade to a third Einstein.

Edited on Apr 06, 2013 at 03:52 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Skarkowtsky wrote:
Shit!!!! I wonder if I can change the order Monday morn

I'd call and leave a message or send a fax/e-mail, right now, just to be safe.

Apr 06, 2013 at 03:52 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Just emailed them with the correction. I hope they swap it out.

Thanks, Brian!

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:00 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

John,

You/they should be fine on the change ... for two reasons.

1) They are very customer service oriented.
2) Weekend orders have a strong backlog and unless you opted for priority/air shipment your orders (iirc) will be in queue along with masses that went for routine shipping.

3) Even if you didn't get the order changed ... they would still accept the return no problems (just incurs the extra shipping unnecessarily).

Also, don't be surprised if it doesn't ship out for a couple days. The aren't exactly as expedient as Amazon.com or B&H when it comes to weekend fulfillment ... they actually are not there till Monday morning to get started on the weekend orders (in queue), but they are still very diligent about taking care of things.

As to the triggers, I'm going with JrX RadioPopper and the studio transmitter ... but haven't gotten my receivers ordered yet, so I can't speak to how they work (although others have spoken well of it). But then again, I don't have the Einsteins (which have their own system option), so you may just want to stick with the PCB stuff. Particularly if you are going to be basically dedicated studio, you may like the CyberCommander to adjust your lights independently from camera location in addition to just triggering them. I've got a mix of lights, so having the JrX system will give me some flexibility that you won't necessarily need.

BTW ... if you want more "pop" than the Einstein, the White Lightning X3200 is double (1320 Ws) that of the Einstein. I've got an X1600 which is the same output as the Einstein. While the Einsteins have the IGBT circuitry, the X1600 & X3200 series has a neat little feature with a button that makes the monolight act more like a pack @ 1/4 reduced power for faster flash duration even though it isn't IGBT circuitry. Probably not a critical factor for you, but just thought I'd mention the X3200 for the greater power, if that is of any interest.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/x3200.php
You don't hear a lot about the WL's since the Einstein came on the scene, but for more raw power, it is an option.

Edited on Apr 06, 2013 at 05:13 AM · View previous versions

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:55 AM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

I have CyberSync™ Transceivers on my Einsteins and have the Cyber Commander™ for triggering them. I usually use mine at wedding receptions and like to have on-cam flash (bounced) for fill and focus assist-- the Cyber Commander™ is on a lanyard around my neck so I can adjust power remotely. I use Phottix Strato II triggers in this situation. When I don't need on-cam flash I put the Cyber Commander™ on cam. The menus (usability) on the Cyber Commander™ are a bit non-intuitive (at least for me).

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:07 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Good decision. That's a nice batch of compact lights.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:50 PM
kenyee
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

RustyBug wrote:
As to the triggers, I'm going with JrX RadioPopper and the studio transmitter.

Rusty, FYI, the JrX won't remote control power on an Einstein.

Skarkowtsky wrote:
Wasn't about saving the money but rather having a little more power when needed. With the speedos I shot a lot of subjects with the key light between 800 and 2000Ws.

What in the world are you shooting w/ that much power?? :-O
And what f/stop ISO/distance/modifiers?
You do know the Einstein is only 640WS right? But claimed power doesn't matter as much as the actual lightmeter reading...

Apr 07, 2013 at 03:55 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

kenyee wrote:
Rusty, FYI, the JrX won't remote control power on an Einstein.

+1

I was referring to the PCB CyberCommander for remotely controlling Einstein power. I'm using the X1600 & B400, so the JrX radiopopper studio receivers are designed for them (with phone jack), while the Einstein isn't so equipped (from what I can tell).

Apr 07, 2013 at 05:44 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buying AlienBees, have questions

Hi Ken,

I shoot between f22 and f29, ISO 100. My work is shadow-dependent, and my sets are very up-close and tight. However, I think the Einsteins will do nicely.

Apr 07, 2013 at 04:44 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password