Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

My posts · My subscriptions

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11467179 « Buying AlienBees, have questions »

RustyBug
Upload & Sell: On
Re: Buying AlienBees, have questions

John,

You/they should be fine on the change ... for two reasons.

1) They are very customer service oriented.
2) Weekend orders have a strong backlog and unless you opted for priority/air shipment your orders (iirc) will be in queue along with masses that went for routine shipping.

3) Even if you didn't get the order changed ... they would still accept the return no problems (just incurs the extra shipping unnecessarily).

Also, don't be surprised if it doesn't ship out for a couple days. The aren't exactly as expedient as Amazon.com or B&H when it comes to weekend fulfillment ... they actually are not there till Monday morning to get started on the weekend orders (in queue), but they are still very diligent about taking care of things.

As to the triggers, I'm going with JrX RadioPopper and the studio transmitter ... but haven't gotten my receivers ordered yet, so I can't speak to how they work (although others have spoken well of it). But then again, I don't have the Einsteins (which have their own system option), so you may just want to stick with the PCB stuff. Particularly if you are going to be basically dedicated studio, you may like the CyberCommander to adjust your lights independently from camera location in addition to just triggering them.

BTW ... if you want more "pop" than the Einstein, the White Lightning X3200 is double (1320 Ws) that of the Einstein. I've got an X1600 which is the same output as the Einstein. While the Einsteins have the IGBT circuitry, the X1600 & X3200 series has a neat little feature with a button that makes the monolight act more like a pack @ 1/4 reduced power for faster flash duration even though it isn't IGBT circuitry. Probably not a critical factor for you, but just thought I'd mention the X3200 for the greater power, if that is of any interest.

http://www.paulcbuff.com/x3200.php
You don't hear a lot about the WL's since the Einstein came on the scene, but for more raw power, it is an option.

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:11 AM
RustyBug

John,

2) Weekend orders have a strong backlog and unless you opted for priority/air shipment your orders (iirc) will be in queue along with masses that went for routine shipping.

3) Even if you didn't get the order changed ... they would still accept the return no problems (just incurs the extra shipping unnecessarily).

Also, don't be surprised if it doesn't ship out for a couple days. The aren't exactly as expedient as Amazon.com or B&H when it comes to weekend fulfillment ... they actually are not there till Monday morning to get started on the weekend orders (in queue), but they are still very diligent about taking care of things.

As to the triggers, I'm going with JrX RadioPopper and the studio transmitter ... but haven't gotten my receivers ordered yet, so I can't speak to how they work (although others have spoken well of it). But then again, I don't have the Einsteins (which have their own system option), so you may just want to stick with the PCB stuff. Particularly if you are going to be basically dedicated studio, you may like the CyberCommander to adjust your lights independently from camera location in addition to just triggering them.

BTW ... if you want more "pop" than the Einstein, the White Lightning X3200 is double (1320 Ws) that of the Einstein. I've got an X1600 which is the same output as the Einstein. While the Einsteins have the IGBT circuitry, the X1600 & X3200 series has a neat little feature with a button that makes the monolight act more like a pack @ 1/4 reduced power for faster flash duration even though it isn't IGBT circuitry. Probably not a critical factor for you, but just thought I'd mention the X3200 for the greater power, if that is of any interest. You don't hear a lot about the WL's since the Einstein came on the scene, but for more raw power, it is an option.

Apr 06, 2013 at 05:10 AM
RustyBug

John,

BTW ... if you want more "pop" than the Einstein, the White Lightning X3200 is double (1320 Ws) that of the Einstein. I've got an X1600 which is the same output as the Einstein. While the Einsteins have the IGBT circuitry, the X1600 & X3200 series has a neat little feature with a button that makes the monolight act more like a pack @ 1/4 reduced power for faster flash duration even though it isn't IGBT circuitry. Probably not a critical factor for you, but just thought I'd mention the X3200 for the greater power, if that is of any interest.

Apr 06, 2013 at 04:55 AM

Previous versions of RustyBug's message #11467179 « Buying AlienBees, have questions »