Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

25 f2 is the lens that stands out. Great quality at f2 (other wa are either limited to 2.8 or don't look great at f2). Hard stop that Nikon does not have. I think this is a better lens than 21 f2.8 to complement Nikon. Nikon has a 14-24 f2.8 that captures 21mm at f2.8 but not f2. It is a great nightscape lens.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Mirek, you are officially booked in for understatement of the year for this pearl:
'I am sure the new 55 will be also fine.'

AhamB, good to hear...I processed a few last night from my 35-70 and they are both detailed and sharp enough to entirely satisfy, had to back off my sharpening routine even. The a99 brings out even more detail.

sculptormic (michiel), threads here wander everywhere, I am a bad offender for thread discipline too, so feel free. I asked (nicely) for David Llado to do it for me - it is my most travelled lens at around 50,000kms. The things we Alt fans will do for a photograph ;-)

Jae who until recently posted here as 'FlyPenFly', did his own and found it OK, so it is a confidence and knowledge issue I believe, The instructions are off-putting to me at least. I'll do the others though.

The 100-300 is a one way street - a conversion - I had to enlist the expert knowldge of people here to summon up the courage and David did that one too. You are not far away from him (in Australian distances anyway), maybe get in touch?
I want to keep my Contax lenses, so was happy enough. It's very large though.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:09 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.3 #3 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

carstenw wrote:
Okay, but now you are comparing very old lenses to much newer lenses, hardly fair. The Nikon 135s are very good lenses, but of course there is better by now.

Well, the OP is asking for the ultimate Zeiss and one of his favorite focal lengths is 135, so I don't think it's unfair in any way. Sometimes good is not good enough.

Mar 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Fredbare

p.3 #4 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Once again, thanks to those who have contributed.
Ultimately there appears to be no clear winner.

Narrowing the field down, and as CarstenW has noted, my selection at the short end is not that adequate.

So, for landscape would one chose the Nikon 14-24 F2.8, Zeiss 21 F2.8 or 25mm F2.0?
The Nikon is convenient as it covers the 21 and 24(25) end but I have read that it's not that sharp at distance and has different focus planes with varying apertures.
However, the real question is which one is considered to produce the best landscape images considering the main intended use is for large scale 'vistas'?

Your thoughts, as always, would be appreciated.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:37 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.3 #5 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

For the typical landscape shot, the 21 would be the best choice, though you have to take care of that mustache distortion if you have horizontal lines running across the frame. The 25 is weak in the corners at infinity; it might not be a big deal for some. The Nikon zoom, due to its bulbous front element, can't accept any screw-in filter, thus limited it to a more cumbersome holder system. The zoom has quite notable focus shift so care must be taken to ensure the optimal result. As with all zooms, it is more flexible in focal length.

Mar 21, 2013 at 04:55 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

hiepphotog wrote:
Well, the OP is asking for the ultimate Zeiss and one of his favorite focal lengths is 135, so I don't think it's unfair in any way. Sometimes good is not good enough.

There is quite a huge difference between a lens not being ultimate, and calling it shit.

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:12 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.3 #7 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

'but of course there is better by now.' 'and my collection of mainly modest AF-D lenses'

Just thinking aloud (my best thinking usually, not saying much) - do Nikon lenses get better in a steady progression over time, or (like Zeiss and Leica) do the older series produce a classic look a little different to the later releases, which almost seem to complement each other? A lot of people like older such lenses, going back 30-40 years or more.

I don't seem to read much about the great say 1980s Nikkors, whereas some amazing CZ and L lenses rolled out at that time. Same with Canon, those FDs you see around on NEXs, but not many mentioned as classics. Ans I don't really rule out any CZ or Leica lens out of hand, as other qualities are often attractive enough.

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:52 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

I think it depends dramatically on which focal lengths we are talking about. Canon for example has great super teles but have always had problems on the wide end. Nikon has been strongest in the 24 or 28 to 180 area, with some lenses from decades ago still being sought after. On the other hand, Nikon hasn't updated all focal lengths at an equal pace, and the 135mm focal length specifically seems to have fallen out of favour. The 180/2.8 and 300/4 also need updating. These are all very decent lenses, but not up to modern standards, especially the coatings.

I think one reason that there was much more noise surrounding Contax than Nikon is that Contax was always an enthusiast brand, mainly going to wealthy owners, and serving as dream objects, with flashy lenses, whereas Nikon was the tool of choice for hardworking pros for decades. Only just prior to the switch to digital did Canon finally achieve some kind of parity. As such, the Nikon lenses were all rugged and delivered good image quality, but the focus was on overall performance in all conditions, not on peak performance in any particular area, such as corner MTF or elevated micro-contrast, with a few exceptions such as the Noct-Nikkor, which had peak performance in some areas, sacrificing others.

To answer your question directly, no, I don't think Nikkors get steadily better across the board. Some lenses do, but others get either neglected, or take great strides forwards. The 14-24 is one such lens. It just outclassed virtually anything else and to some extent still does, when you consider that this is a zoom which is still regularly compared to the best primes, regularly being compared to focal lengths from 14mm to 21mm. The 24mm end is not as interesting.

In the case of the 135mm lenses, they have been somewhat neglected, and the newest (only?) 135mm is a soft-focus lens from many years ago. If Nikon would apply the nano-ED-G strategy to it, they would surely be better than the also slightly dated 135L, which so many love.

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:09 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.3 #9 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

OK, good to know, carsten. Back when I had a D200 I noticed that there were few 'revered' lenses like exists in the CZ and Leica lineups. People did like the older AI-S lenses and their build quality, and the brand had a great reputation for PJ, travel and many other fields, esp pro work. ta. Everybody neglected their 135mms, it seems, Canon excepted, in SLR anyway.

Mar 21, 2013 at 09:24 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #10 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Yes, and now Sony is in there too with the ZA, and there is the new Zeiss ZF/ZE. The 135mm lens seems to be having a minor revival.

I guess there are valid reasons apart from popularity for not updating lenses, specifically cost. A great example is several new Canon lenses which replace older speced lenses. Some of the prices are 2-3x what the old versions cost. Another great example is the new Leica 50 Cron-M. The risk is that by updating an old design you price it out of reach. Thus what was a slow-selling lens may die outright.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fredbare

p.3 #11 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

As a side issue, and as there is a lot of mention of discontinued lenses, any suggestions for reliable camera shops that have stock of such items and will export internationally (courier a must)?
I'm not adverse to experimenting with alternatives provided that the price is not too excessive.

Mar 21, 2013 at 10:46 AM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.3 #12 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

carstenw wrote:
There is quite a huge difference between a lens not being ultimate, and calling it shit.

Calling it shit is a bit much I admit. Otherwise, my point is still valid. The original response was to ISO1600 since he doesn't care that much for the focal length, while the OP does.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:18 PM
samfowler

p.3 #13 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Zeiss 2.8/80mm MC Biometar - awesome lens and perfect focal range.

Mar 21, 2013 at 02:47 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #14 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

hiepphotog wrote:
Calling it shit is a bit much I admit. Otherwise, my point is still valid. The original response was to ISO1600 since he doesn't care that much for the focal length, while the OP does.

Well, we can agree that these are older designs which don't measure up to the modern lenses, and thus can't be called ultimate.

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:10 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Fredbare wrote:
As a side issue, and as there is a lot of mention of discontinued lenses, any suggestions for reliable camera shops that have stock of such items and will export internationally (courier a must)?
I'm not adverse to experimenting with alternatives provided that the price is not too excessive.

keh.com
ffordes.com

Mar 21, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.3 #16 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

philip_pj wrote:
Mirek, you are officially booked in for understatement of the year for this pearl:
'I am sure the new 55 will be also fine.'

Mar 21, 2013 at 08:15 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.3 #17 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

samfowler wrote:
Zeiss 2.8/80mm MC Biometar - awesome lens and perfect focal range.

Very "interesting" bright-ringed bokeh though.

Mar 22, 2013 at 09:03 AM
user222
• • •
p.3 #18 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Scott Stoness wrote:
25 f2 is the lens that stands out.

I'm equally impressed with each of the Zeiss lenses I've used, and would say the the ultimate Zeiss is the focal length you need for the subject. The 25 f2 does stand out though. I think it is because it is so well corrected for CA. It's a stunning lens.

Mar 23, 2013 at 07:57 AM
Fredbare

p.3 #19 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

user222 wrote:
I'm equally impressed with each of the Zeiss lenses I've used, and would say the the ultimate Zeiss is the focal length you need for the subject. The 25 f2 does stand out though. I think it is because it is so well corrected for CA. It's a stunning lens.

But I understand it's not good for landscapes at large distances?

Mar 23, 2013 at 08:47 AM
simonw

p.3 #20 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Fredbare wrote:
But I understand it's not good for landscapes at large distances?

there is very slight softness in the last 1-2mm of the image circle but when i tested this out the only way to see this is if you artificially raise or lower the horizon so you deliberately put detail into that specific point. in all normal situations that i could think of depth of field had a much greater influence over perceived sharpness in the very far corners.

if you are looking for a wide-angle zeiss that is beyond reproach then so far the 15mm F2.8 is the closest we have to this ideal - it isn't cheap though.

simon w.

Mar 23, 2013 at 09:44 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password