Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Fredbare

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Thanks for the responses thus far.
For explanation (as some have queried):
1. I'm interested in general photography (i.e. 'everything').
2. I'm reviewing my collection of mainly modest AF-D lenses and seeing which ones to replace (24 F2.8/ 35 F2/ 50 F1.4/ 60 F2.8 Micro/ 85 F1.8/ 105 F2 DC/ 180 F2.8/ 300 F4/ 80-200 F2.8) - where necessary.
3. I have the Zeiss 35 F2 and for close distances it's great but at longer distances, not that much different than the AF-D 35 F2 (which is sharper at 'infinity' than the Z35 F2 - my copy anyway).
4. Cameras D90 and D600.
As per (3) and as someone else mentioned above, sometimes the Zeiss images are not easily distinguished from those of CanNikon - which is why I had posted the 'Best of the best' query.
The lens that represents the distinctive Zeiss 'signature' under most conditions (for which it was intended to be used).
The new 135 APO is on the 'wanted list' already - waiting for the B&M store to confirm when they will have stock - simply because it was my favorite F/L back in my Oly OM-1 days.
If one would like to separate the lenses by different usage areas, then please do so.
Cheers

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:56 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Just out of curiosity, why do you need a brand new lens?

If you want something really different, I would get Leica R or Zeiss C/Y. Im quite positive these are really different to Nikkors.

I know you said you like primes and new, but for example C/Y 35-70/3.4 is loaded with Zeiss sauce.. (but obviously that old one, which is different look than new ZF). Plus its pretty good lens for outresolving sensors.

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:29 AM
Fredbare

p.2 #3 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

It would be an option if I was somewhere I could pick one up in the neighborhood
Out here in the 'great ashtray' there's little opportunity for 'previously owned' equipment.
I'm currently looking for lenses on the wide end and have been looking at zooms like the 14-24 (maybe too wide). The 20-30mm range would be better for a zoom but not much on offer - all seem to have their foibles.
Suggestions?

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:24 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #4 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

The 28mm f2.8 Distagon from the hallowed Contax days, Fred. Cheap, plentiful because people back then recognised its worth, and very very Zeiss. Field curvature means it does poorly on MTF outside the 'donut hole' but its performance is close to the 21mm. Few complain about the later MMJ ones.

Mescalamba, esteemed poster philber remarked lately the 35-70 is a hign contrast lens that has lower resolution compared with some others. I think he was saying it is very sharp as in 'edgy' but at the expense of Leica style resolution. What do you think, if you read this? I must process/post some from it shot on the a99, it is quite striking, very colourful also. I also think it's ready for the next sensor round.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:43 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

You don't really seem to have anything on the wide end, so perhaps the 21 Distagon is a good place to start? *The* classic Zeiss lens, and an amazingly good one. Keep the 60 Micro, btw, very sharp, so well behaved, nice boke, just the perfect product shot lens.

Do you have a gallery somewhere with your photos?

As a comment, you seem to have a little of everything, but few special lenses. Maybe try to cull a few lenses and replace them with fewer, but more special lenses in your favorite focal lengths. For example, do you prefer 35 or 50 as a standard lens?

Mar 20, 2013 at 09:57 AM
sculptormic
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

philip_pj wrote:
The 28mm f2.8 Distagon from the hallowed Contax days, Fred. Cheap, plentiful because people back then recognised its worth, and very very Zeiss. Field curvature means it does poorly on MTF outside the 'donut hole' but its performance is close to the 21mm. Few complain about the later MMJ ones.

Mescalamba, esteemed poster philber remarked lately the 35-70 is a hign contrast lens that has lower resolution compared with some others. I think he was saying it is very sharp as in 'edgy' but at the expense of Leica style resolution. What do you think, if you read this? I must
...Show more

Philip
Sorry to get a little out of line, but I was wondering how hard was it to convert the 35-70 C/Y to Sony A mount.
I found the instuctions on Leitax site rather complicated. Or did you do the M42 solution. Curious about the 100-300 as well!

Others might be interested as well, I suppose......

Michiel

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:10 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #7 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

sculptormic wrote:
Curious about the 100-300 as well!

The 100-300 can't be Leitaxed without a customized mount that has the holes drilled in the right places (different from the rest of the Contax lenses). Same for the Makro-Planar 100/2.8.

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:30 PM
AhamB
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

philip_pj wrote:
Mescalamba, esteemed poster philber remarked lately the 35-70 is a hign contrast lens that has lower resolution compared with some others. I think he was saying it is very sharp as in 'edgy' but at the expense of Leica style resolution. What do you think, if you read this?

I have talked to Philippe about is and his copy wasn't sharp until stopped down to f/8-11. Probably a less than stellar copy. I only have experience with the 35-70 on a 5D but I found it very sharp (zero lateral CA) at infinity, with some field curvature that was affecting the corners though. It seemed to be significantly sharper than my 28/2.8 MM which I'd say is more "edgy" at the expense of resolution. Anyway, I don't think the 35-70 is lacking in resolution if you get a good copy. I believe the MTF charts bear this out.

Mar 20, 2013 at 02:34 PM
Fredbare

p.2 #9 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Hi Carsten,

Nope, no gallery, haven't had the time to get round to it.

You hit the nail on the head. I have a number of 'adequate' lenses but nothing that I could say is 'special'. Frankly I'm heading for retirement in the next few years so I'm looking to improve the lens collection as I won't be able to afford to add at a later date.
I've never been happy with the current assortment of Nikon lenses and using the Zeiss 35 F2 in the short term at close and moderate distances on the D600 has produced more 'wow' pictures that I've experienced in the last 10 years with lenses purchased as 'cost effective' compromises.
Ruling out the 'invariables' as much as possible I've deduced that good glass is, in fact, a pre-requisite to good images (limitations of the photographer noted ;-)) .
So yes, I'm looking at suggestions from those who have had more experience with lenses than I (ruling out the additional complication of PP skills at present).
Hence the original query - the best Zeiss lens such that even I should get better results within my limitations. It would provide a bench-mark for my own skill set (and if I couldn't get decent results then maybe I'd try basket weaving) and for lenses 'per se'.
But overall, if there are suggestions on improving my basket of lenses to improve image IQ (and here I mean the 'look' of the image more so than 'absolute sharpness' et al - within artistic/technical ability of course) I'd be more than happy.
I guess that I've been dragged into the belief that lenses that 'measure' better provide better images. However, I have some old photos I took with a Yashica 'J' and a Pentax W90 (W90 -from memory) that actually 'look better' with a lot less effort than many I've painstakingly taken with more expensive 'kit'. Such is life.
Thanks for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Mar 20, 2013 at 03:33 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.2 #10 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

that's reasonable.

I think if we accept that "I like it more" is it's own kind of better, and you really did have that effect with a Zeiss lens, I don't see a reason you shouldn't get more.

I suggest you rent a 25/2 and a 100/2. these two are about as it gets from a measurement standpoint and you can see if they give you what you want.

Mar 20, 2013 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Nikon 28mm f2.8 AIS.
<$300, super close focus, awesome image quality, small size.

OH WAIT....... you said Zeiss.
So you WANT to pay $2000 for limiting returns.

In that case, I don't see the point of getting any Zeiss that doesn't give you something you can't already get with Nikon, for a reasonable price.

21/2.8 = 14-24, but without AF and no range.
25/2 = 14-24 with more DoF control.
28/2 = Nikon had the 28/1.4 which is expensive and stellar, although can be troublesome to find and/or repair if needed.
35/2 = I'm sorry, you might all hate me for this, but i fail to see the point in buying an expensive alt 35/2, when there are good AF versions available that are half the size and half the cost. At the very least, if you want an alt 35, get a 1.4, or a f2 that is small.
35/1.4 = This is an expensive zeiss I can get behind. I mean yeah it costs a grip, but isn't the Nikkor AF-S a disappointment?
50/2 = I have no attraction to this lens whatsoever, so I know nothing about it. I don't even spend enough time to have feelings about it.
85/? = don't they make an expensive nikon mount 85? Who knows, I never see anybody talk about it. Get a Nikkor 85. They are great.
100/2 MP = From everything I've read and heard, this is a fantastic lens.
135/2 = Who cares.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:22 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #12 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Fredbare wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. I have a number of 'adequate' lenses but nothing that I could say is 'special'. Frankly I'm heading for retirement in the next few years so I'm looking to improve the lens collection as I won't be able to afford to add at a later date.
I've never been happy with the current assortment of Nikon lenses and using the Zeiss 35 F2 in the short term at close and moderate distances on the D600 has produced more 'wow' pictures that I've experienced in the last 10 years with lenses purchased as 'cost effective'
...Show more

Then I think you should wait until you get the 135 APO to see if it fits into your "WOW" category. If it is, then you are better waiting for the upcoming Distagon 55/1.4 and its siblings. The upcoming Zeiss, as with the APO, has a different look (much better corrected but can be "sterile") than the current one. Additionally, as good as the current Zeiss are, they started to show their age.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:24 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.2 #13 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Fredbare wrote:
If one could pick one, and only one, Zeiss lens that epitomises ‘The Zeiss look’, for want of better terminology which lens would you choose?
3. I have the Zeiss 35 F2 and for close distances it's great but at longer distances, not that much different than the AF-D 35 F2 (which is sharper at 'infinity' than the Z35 F2 - my copy anyway).
As per (3) and as someone else mentioned above, sometimes the Zeiss images are not easily distinguished from those of CanNikon - which is why I had posted the 'Best of the best' query.

The lenses that have the strongest "Zeiss look" are not necessarily the best technical performers from the lineup. 21mm would be a good start, because it has both. I am sure the new 55 will be also fine.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:24 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #14 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

ISO1600 wrote:
135/2 = Who cares.

You brought up some good points, and I agree with some of them. But apparently, the OP really likes this focal length, and the Nikon option is shit.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:27 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

How much is a 135/2 AIS? Probably <$500.
How much will the new Zeiss be? Oh a second mortgage.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:31 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

hiepphotog wrote:
You brought up some good points, and I agree with some of them. But apparently, the OP really likes this focal length, and the Nikon option is shit.

The Nikons in this focal length are very good, but they aren't Zeisses, and they don't render that way.

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:38 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

I've used a LOT of different lenses on multiple platforms.
I've seen how good the (C/Y era) Distagons are (21, 28), on my own cameras.
I've also owned a lot of Nikkors, Canons, a few OM's.
I, for some reason, care about value, and I'm glad i never got bitten by the zeiss bug. That's all I'm gonna say

Mar 20, 2013 at 04:39 PM
wilco23
• •
p.2 #18 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

ISO1600 wrote:
I'm glad i never got bitten by the zeiss bug.

Lucky, if you got bitten by Leica bug, you will need second mortgage

Mar 20, 2013 at 05:32 PM
hiepphotog
• • •
p.2 #19 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

carstenw wrote:
The Nikons in this focal length are very good, but they aren't Zeisses, and they don't render that way.

The 135 DC is no where as good as the 135 APO in term of sharpness and CA correction. Personally, I think this is a weaker focal for Nikon compared to what Canon and Sony can offer.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:04 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.2 #20 · Ultimate Zeiss lens for Nikon?

Okay, but now you are comparing very old lenses to much newer lenses, hardly fair. The Nikon 135s are very good lenses, but of course there is better by now.

Mar 20, 2013 at 10:39 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password