Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

julsie

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

Hi Guys
I am visiting Patagonia in the Autumn with my wife (mid Nov till mid Dec) and we will be visiting Valdez, Ushuaia, Torres del Paine and El Chalten. We will be doing a fair amount of trekking (up to 4 day trips) and thus want to keep everything as light as possible. I will be taking my 60D together with a 17-50 and a 70-200 f/4 with ext 1,4 and a Sirui tripod(1,160g with ballhead).
My question is, should I also take my 10-22 or will the 17-50 be enough? For those that have already visited is there anything else I should look into ? Please remember the weight factor. Many thanks in advance.
Julian

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:54 AM
Paul Mo
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

Just take all three. Be prepared.

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:58 AM
Filterman

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

There are opportunities for wide angle shots also. As small and light as the 10-22 for such an expensive trip you should take all 3 lenses and not even blink.
Lenshead

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

Depends on your shooting style. 17-50 on the 60D is not that wide, so if you want to shoot really wide landscapes you'll want the 10-22. If you want to do panoramics then the 17-50 will be useful. Dare I say, if you really want the 10-22, then leave the 17-50 behind if weight is tight. The 70-200 is also a nice landscape lens. Shooting wide is not always easy. You need to find a good near/far composition or risk everything just looking small. Now, the 17-50 is a bit faster - you could take some nice night sky photos with it...... If you are physically fit, I'd take all of them. Next time you'll know what to take based on usage.
I'm sure you will have a hundred posts soon with all good options. In the end you will have a great time and take great photos with the equipment wind up taking. It is a wonderful place, wish I could go back soon.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:56 PM
fixedgearmike
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

we did a very similar sounding trip a few years back and it was amazing - am very jealous!

you must take the 10-22. Both Torres del Paine and the glacier at El Chalten are stunningly beautiful, and you'll want wides for both. Frankly I'd also hire, steal or borrow the very best body I could find for the trip because it is **so** beautiful

are you also taking something smaller than a DSLR? A lot of my shots were on a GF1 with pancake lens because we were hiking for about six hours some days, and especially in the Torres it was quite hilly! What's the weather like that time of year? We had quite a lot of rain in Feb / March which was supposed to be their summer!

there's a gallery here to wet your appetite: http://www.flickr.com/photos/68792434@N03/sets/72157633031614771/ (crappy web resolution only)

Damn, I'm jealous. Can I come with you?

Mar 19, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

I spent 2 weeks in Torres del Paine, El Chalten, and El Califate. At the time I had a 1ds mk III and brought my 17-40. 70-200, and my 24-70. I mostly used the 70-200 and 24-70. I think I took 1 or 2 pictures with the 17-40. Since the weight is not so great I would bring all three to be on the safe side. However you will ses that there is less opportunity than one might think while trekking to pull out the ultra wide. Most of the scenery I shot was far enough off where a longer focal length was needed. You can see what I mean on page 6 and 7 of the Canon winter photography post

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1176650/5

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1176650/6

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

fixedgearmike wrote:
are you also taking something smaller than a DSLR? A lot of my shots were on a GF1 with pancake lens because we were hiking for about six hours some days, and especially in the Torres it was quite hilly! What's the weather like that time of year? We had quite a lot of rain in Feb / March which was supposed to be their summer!

nice idea. On big trips I will have a telephoto lens on my canon full frame, but still like normal fov espcially for family photos. My g3 and 20mm pancake is great for that since I take turns with my child on my back in a kelty backpack. In good light (daytime outdoors), the GF1 is spectacular and relatively cheap.

Edited on Mar 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM · View previous versions

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM
julsie

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

Thanks for all your replies, I live in Chamonix in the French Alps so we are well used to long walks in the mountains. Was just trying to persuade myself that I didn't really need to take it but I guess we'll just have to find some space

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:13 PM
alskouba
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

julsie wrote:
I live in Chamonix in the French Alps so we are well used to long walks in the mountains.

considering this I would bring everything!

Mar 19, 2013 at 03:29 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

My wife and I visited all these places in a 6-week cruise circumnavigating
South America, stopping at more than two dozen ports. We took airplane
excursions for some day excursions to Torres del Paine, Nazca Lines, etc.,
so we got around a lot off-ship.

When we arrived in Ushuaia in late summer (early March), it was
snowing, Tango music everywhere, with an Alpine ambience
(Andes crash into ocean). Strange, beautiful place.

Definitely need wide-angle for spectacular landscape views and
100-400 L or other telescopic for close-ups of critters.
Used my wife's point and shoot for people pictures.

Have a great time. It was the trip of a lifetime among the
100+ countries we have visited.

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

I'd take a UWA, just got back from Japan and I really wanted an ultra wide for certain landscapes, but mainly streams. I love the 17-55 for travel! Kinda big, but 2.8 & IS are awesome. Have you thought about a GoPro? I had one on accident and it came in handy. I used my iPhone a lot too, which was new for me.

I also like a speed light and lumiquest soft box III, and 60 efs. Love to shoot macro to capture all the unique bugs, plants, etc in a new place.

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:48 PM
julsie

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which lenses to take to Patagonia

Thanks for your replies, i'll try to find a space for it.

Mar 23, 2013 at 05:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password