Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

sklar
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

I recently got my first magazine spread (wooo!) and i was wondering what the etiquette of me sharing that photo should be?
Like, is it cool to share it? Only in published format? the original image? etc.
Thanks

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:20 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

What do you mean by share?

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:41 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

Micky Bill wrote:
What do you mean by share?

like on facebook/social media, forums (in the world of freeskiing, newschoolers.com is the hub of video, photo and discussion content, could/should i upload it there?)

Mar 18, 2013 at 06:44 PM
ventieldopje

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

Doesn't that depend what contract you got with the magazine? If you haven't talked to them about further spreading the photo either contact them or just spread the photo as you still have copyright of it and can do with it as you please

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

I don;t see anything wrong with sharing...that's the whole idea of publishing something.

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:17 AM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

Check the contract - what have the magazine paid for?

If they have paid for exclusive use, you can't share it

Otherwise you retain the copyright and can share as you wish

Mar 19, 2013 at 02:54 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

scottam10 wrote:
Check the contract - what have the magazine paid for?

If they have paid for exclusive use, you can't share it

Otherwise you retain the copyright and can share as you wish

He seems to be talking about sharing the published pieces so the "exclusive use" rescrtiction doesn't apply.

Mar 19, 2013 at 07:15 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

You always retain the copyright ... but the contract that you agreed to may have terms in it that preclude you from using it / licensing it elsewhere, so review the contract that you agreed to.

Given the ToA @ Facebook (other social media, Flickr, etc.) debacle @ you post it they (or others) can use it ... it could be an opportunity for some grief down the road as you would then be giving unlimited opportunity for others (per your ToA) to use it (after your agreement with the publisher), which could be counter to your agreed upon usage/licensing contract with the publisher depending on what is included in that contract.

But, if you are providing the link to the publication and sharing it in that manner, I see that as free advertising for the publisher, with you not making the image available to anyone else. I'd say "link away" till the cows come home ... but double check your contract before posting up the image in social media (which has its own debatable perils in general anyway).

Original image in social media (ToA to everyone) ... Run Forest, Run ... Danger, Will Robinson.

In the vein of an old school "tear sheet", maybe something like this:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1188025

Might be easiest just to ask in writing (email, etc.) the publisher how they would like for you to proceed with marketing your work/their publication. Then, when you get something from them in writing, you've CYA'd yourself and expressed professional concern for their interests as well.

That's my .02.

BTW ... Congrats !!!
Now, where's our link.

Mar 19, 2013 at 04:12 PM
mdude85
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

Just shoot a quick email to your contact at the magazine requesting to share a copy of the tear sheet on social media. Be sure to specify how the tear sheet would be displayed, on what social networks, with whom it would be presumably shared, and so forth.

Problem solved!

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM
StevenF

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

I can understand your euphoria with a first spread and want to share that excitement with the world. However, I wouldn't do anything before contacting the publication involved, especially it the issue has not been published. It won't hurt to wait a few day to get an answer back. Be prepared that their decision may not go your way.

Steve

Mar 20, 2013 at 01:34 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

RustyBug wrote:
You always retain the copyright ... but the contract that you agreed to may have terms in it that preclude you from using it / licensing it elsewhere, so review the contract that you agreed to.

Given the ToA @ Facebook (other social media, Flickr, etc.) debacle @ you post it they (or others) can use it ... it could be an opportunity for some grief down the road as you would then be giving unlimited opportunity for others (per your ToA) to use it (after your agreement with the publisher), which could be counter to your agreed upon usage/licensing
...Show more

Not necessarily true.

There's a growing trend of forcing "Work For Hire" contracts, or those that TRANSFER copyright from the producer to the publisher, on photographers and videographers. In those cases you may well not have retained ownership whatsoever. I've seen it; I won't sign 'em. Yes, even some of the most prestigious newspapers/magazines/publishers try this from time to time.

OP: If you mean linking to the story in a forum, there's no question that you can do that. If you mean publishing the image itself to NS as a standalone image, you need to check your contract. Most such contracts-- notably for niche areas, like skiing/freeskiing-- have at minimum a clause saying you can't publish/republish for TK days in any publication (online or not) or TK2 days for a list of competing publications (online or not).

Now the part where I make gentle fun of you: Freeskiing, NS? Really? C'mon, I think you meant freeriding and TGR... JONG. Hehe.

Congrats.

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:29 PM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

Oh, and link to it here too!

Mar 22, 2013 at 01:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

+1 @ Work For Hire / Transfer ... my bad for forgetting to mention the possibility of that aspect (although, it still would have been covered by the "read the contract" aspect). I read the OP as being a NOT "work for hire" scenario, so I didn't go there specifically. I've passed on some of those as well, while I've also been okay with it on some other situations. It's a "kinda depends" for me on that one.

Good catch that retained copyright is NOT an ALWAYS scenario ... but that is ONLY if you have AGREED to relinquish it via "work for hire" or "transfer", etc.. IIRC, it originates with you @ creation and you cannot have it taken away from you ... but you can agree to relinquish it to others by your agreed consent @ work for hire/transfer/contractual agreement/etc. ... i.e. always check the fine print.

Mar 22, 2013 at 02:51 PM
sklar
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Published photo sharing etiuette?

here's the shot (a screenshot from Telemark Skier Magazine online)
http://www.zinio.com/www/browse/product.jsp?rf=sch&productId=500640814

an email to the photo editor and he just asked to have a link to the mag online with it.

Mar 25, 2013 at 01:43 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password