Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Suggestions on new used camera

SamSpade1941

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Suggestions on new used camera

Hello all I really would appreciate some opinions from the knowledgeable members here , I have been sing a Nikon D40 for a long time now. It has been my only digital camera and while it has been good to learn on , I have really reached the limits of it and want something else. I want to state upfront a new camera is not in my finances, nor is it going to be at all anytime at all for a very long time. What I have managed to come up with for funds will essentially allow me to buy a D200 , or maybe a D2h and D1x. I have reservations about the D1x and D2h because they are not a step up sensor wise from what I have but they are pro cameras and have pro controls and a host of other features my D40 does not have. It would be nice to have two cameras instead of one. The D200 would be a huge step up for me. Basically I am not going to have more than $400 to play with so its a D200 and a grip or maybe a D1x and a D2h.

I really want to go one direction or the other because I have accumulated quite a few screw drive lenses that I would like to have AF capability with and I would love to be able to use my AI lenses with a Digital and have them meter.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:18 PM
Grantland
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Suggestions on new used camera

welcome to FM.

a great community of good, knowledgeable and relatively nice people.

I am new to Nikon so I cannot give you much help. How about a D90?

grant

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:24 PM
SamSpade1941

p.1 #3 · Suggestions on new used camera

It definitely has a great sensor but its lacking the control I want and its not as rugged as a D200. Plus the D90 still seems to be selling outside of what I can afford to pay. Truthfully I would probably just get a D80 were I to go that route, its something I have considered but I really want the ruggedness of the pro level camera and the controls offered.

Thank you for the welcome and it is nice to be here.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:28 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Suggestions on new used camera

i suggest you tell us a little more information on:

1. what you shoot?

2. lenses you use?

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #5 · Suggestions on new used camera

I have never used a d1x or d2h but I owned a d200 and I loved it. I went from a d60 to the d200 and it seemed like a big upgrade at the time. The d200 is a fine camera and you will probably be happy with the results you get from it. Maybe someone that used the other two before can chime in on them.

sic0048
• •
p.1 #6 · Suggestions on new used camera

When you say you've reached the limits of the D40, can you be more specific? There are a lot of good reasons to upgrade, but we need to know exactly what you think you are missing before we can make an educated assessment of your needs.

dlaurin10

p.1 #7 · Suggestions on new used camera

Hi Sam welcome to the forums, I would suggest to save a bit longer and target around $500. The D90 would offer you more than the D80 and the D200 by way of a better sensor, live view, dynamic lighting, and give you the opportunity to play with video. I have also seen the D300 going for around the $500 price point on the buy and sell forums. Go to dpreview.com and you can compare and get specs on the camera models.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:40 PM
SamSpade1941

p.1 #8 · Suggestions on new used camera

I have purchased quite a few Nikkor AF D lenses and while they do indeed meter they do not AF on my D40 its not a big deal for landscapes, but for wild life I would like the AF capability. The D40 just does not have that it has become a serious limitation for me. Also I usually have to hang it up when the weather gets bad because my D40 is not weather sealed.

As for the lenses I use I currently have a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 ai , 85mm f/2 ai , 135mm f/2.8 ai Tamron 70-300 f/3.5-5.6 AF-D Macro , Nikkor 28-200 f/3.5 AF-D , Nikkor AF G 18-55mm Nikkor 55-200 AF G

basically the only two that Autofocus on my camera are the two kit lenses that came with it. the rest of them do not AF and my AI lenses do not AF or meter. I really want to be able to have a body that will take advantage of all my lenses. That is why I would like a D200, possibly a D1x or D2h.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:50 PM
SamSpade1941

p.1 #9 · Suggestions on new used camera

dlaurin10 wrote:
Hi Sam welcome to the forums, I would suggest to save a bit longer and target around $500. The D90 would offer you more than the D80 and the D200 by way of a better sensor, live view, dynamic lighting, and give you the opportunity to play with video. I have also seen the D300 going for around the $500 price point on the buy and sell forums. Go to dpreview.com and you can compare and get specs on the camera models.

I appreciate your input and its a good suggestion I am just not sure its something I am able to do right now. But I would love to have a D300.

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Nickyb21
• •
p.1 #10 · Suggestions on new used camera

Welcome!
Just wanted to chime in and say that you can pickup a good conditioned used D90 for $350-400

Mar 15, 2013 at 07:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #11 · Suggestions on new used camera

Hi SamSpade1941,

Just wanted to also welcome you here, and wish you good luck with finding a new body.

I have had the D200, as well as the D2h, and D90, and I must say, the D90 is the best of the bunch. Of course, that depends on what you do as well. Although the D90 doesn't have the metal body that the Dx and Dx00 series have, is still a very sturdy camera. It was my travel rig for quite a few years before I sold it to a friend recently. There should be lots of those popping up in the used market, since the D7100 was announced, and may be enticing for some more people to upgrade. That will drive the prices of the D90 a little lower, and make it worth your while.

However, if you really need a metal body, then good luck with your search for a nice D200 body. That was a great camera too!

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:01 PM
SamSpade1941

p.1 #12 · Suggestions on new used camera

I like the idea of the 12.3 mp sensor of the D90 but how does it compare in durability? That is the one thing that has really concerned me about my D40 I have always been concerned about dropping it or getting it wet.

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:06 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #13 · Suggestions on new used camera

I highly recommend the D300.

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:24 PM
talexander
• • •
p.1 #14 · Suggestions on new used camera

D300 would be ideal item, sell the D40 and get a D300. You're looking at a much better sensor then the D200.

Tim

Mar 15, 2013 at 08:46 PM
edl415
• •
p.1 #15 · Suggestions on new used camera

Another recommendation for the D300. It's only $100-150 more than the D200, but a much better body overall. Search around, you should be able to find one for $400-450.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:10 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Suggestions on new used camera

As others mentioned, the D90 & D300 are a significant step up from the D200/D80 in terms of sensor and features. For me a body upgrade is not something I do very often so when I do upgrade I like to get the most out of the money I will be spending. For this reason, I highly recommend, as some did, to save for a D90 ($300-$400) or a D300 ($450-$550) which is not far at all from the budget you've set. I had both the D300 and D90 for years and I never complained about their build and ruggedness. Also, with the D300 I didn't find a need for a grip, however, if you feel like you need one then it could be something you can add later so that should cut on your expenses for now.

You can tell how great the D300 is just by noticing how much lust there is for a D400

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:11 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Suggestions on new used camera

talexander wrote:
D300 would be ideal item, sell the D40 and get a D300. You're looking at a much better sensor then the D200.

Tim

...and MUCH better AF than the D90 (+ it's fine tune enabled) They're right around $425-450 of late.
I've put a couple 100K on D300's...they're built for the long haul.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Suggestions on new used camera

If you're shooting landscape, the ISO 100 of the D200 is nice for that, however, if you're also into night shooting, the D200 is not going to make you as happy as the D300. The D200 has one register spot for AI/AI-s lenses, the D300 has room for 9 before you have to start swapping out

Then later on, you can pick up a grip http://www.keh.com/camera/Nikon-Digital-Batteries-and-Chargers/1/sku-DN879991004070?r=FE (BGN is $72) and EN-EL4a battery.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:46 PM
myboostedgst
• •
p.1 #19 · Suggestions on new used camera

SamSpade1941 wrote:
I like the idea of the 12.3 mp sensor of the D90 but how does it compare in durability? That is the one thing that has really concerned me about my D40 I have always been concerned about dropping it or getting it wet.

I upgraded from a D40 to a D90 and I can tell you that the D90 feels like twice the camera than the D40. It is MUCH more rugged, and the ISO is so much better than the D40.

Are you going to sell your D40? You would sell the D40 and one of your lenses and afford the D90.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:13 AM
SamSpade1941

p.1 #20 · Suggestions on new used camera

I am not sure if I am selling my D40 or handing it down to a family member.

Mar 16, 2013 at 02:53 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password