Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

John Macri
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Not sure what her father actually does as a "contract negotiator" in Atlanta but the first thing he probably learned is to read the terms and conditions before you sign a contract, not afterwards.

Agree about talking to the daughter to resolve. I would inform her it's natural to get a little cold feet as the wedding nears. Remind her that she will likely have a wedding once in her lifetime while you've been shooting weddings for years. No one can predict weddings snafu's but most of the time the flowers all arrive fresh, gowns & tuxes fit, food is hot and tasty. And your photo's will provide a lifetime of memories.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:02 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

All you need to tell him is that you are not paid based on whether or not the father of your client (or anyone for that matter) likes the images. You are paid for the work and service you are providing. There are clauses to protect him if you do not provide that service.

Tell him that due to his threat, you will accept a check only for this transaction. Make sure to tell the bride ahead of time and CC him. Most likely she's dealt with him and crap like this before.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:15 AM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I have no idea what a contract negotiator really is and like you said, it's best to challenge a contract before ink is on the paper. I agree Tony, final payment has to be in the form of a check or I am just asking for trouble from this guy. I really want to shoot the wedding, it's a gorgeous location that I have shot at before but it's just not worth it if I am going to be dealing with this issue for weeks after all the work is complete.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:28 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

It's a little too late for "negotiation".

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:29 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

After the chargeback threat, I'd require cash or bank check.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I wouldnt Email the bride, I would call- this issue deserves that level of attention and communication. Simply explain the father has threatened to do a charge-back and you do not feel comfortable shooting the wedding at this point in time unless it is cash or check. If they write you a check, take it to THEIR BANK, and cash it, then deposit the cash into your account- that way they cant cancel the check either.

Mar 15, 2013 at 04:52 AM
wishdiver

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Daboyle wrote:
I wouldnt Email the bride, I would call- this issue deserves that level of attention and communication. Simply explain the father has threatened to do a charge-back and you do not feel comfortable shooting the wedding at this point in time unless it is cash or check. If they write you a check, take it to THEIR BANK, and cash it, then deposit the cash into your account- that way they cant cancel the check either.

+1

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:00 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I think it pays to be the bigger person. Instead of rising to threats it might be better to calmly diffuse the situation and find out exactly what is troubling him. I would imagine it is not the charge or quality issues but probably something to do with trust which could amicably be alleviated. This is a trust situation, and it is our responsibility to earn trust - seems like a great opportunity.

If it doesn't work out send them my way.

- trr

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:04 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Oh c'mon Todd. Some people are unreasonable and they can just plain suck it.

Mar 15, 2013 at 05:33 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I imagine if the situation could have been diffused that would have happened during the phone call.

There are clients who push boundaries and if you give in a little they will continue to push and push to see how much more they an get out of you.

Mar 15, 2013 at 06:04 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TRReichman
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

TTLKurtis wrote:
Oh c'mon Todd. Some people are unreasonable and they can just plain suck it.

That's a fine stance to take. As far as I see it defensiveness and fear aren't great ways to earn trust and respect, which is essentially all we're selling prior to the event. I refuse to be afraid of my clients (or anyone else's). I've made a career out of turning situations like this into happy clients and incredibly lucrative referrals.

What the client is complaining about is almost never the root problem. If you divert from the complaint to trying to solve the root problem you earn respect and a cheerleader for life.

- trr

Mar 15, 2013 at 06:06 AM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Talk directly to the bride and let her handle the father. If she knows about it and is using him as a straw-man then the full force of the contract comes into play.

And, why would you even think about giving the money back unless you can book a comparable wedding for that specific time frame -- end even then, they wouldn't get the entire amount refunded.

A simple refund would certainly set a bad precedent and you can believe the father-of-the-bride will spread the word how he worked you over.

Mar 15, 2013 at 06:28 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I don't like the threats... Which shouldn't make you change your policies. Talk to the bride.

Mar 15, 2013 at 09:42 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

"be prepared for a charge back if there is something that he is not happy with."

omg. I would give him the riot act. another topic, but that's one reason I won't ever accept a CC payment.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I like how he is a contracts negotiator and he is trying to alter a signed contract. The bride is responsible for payment, not the father, even if it is his money.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:40 PM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I emailed the bride last night and used a lot of the replies on here to correctly word my email and I received this emails 20 minutes later:

Hey Chris,

I know it's super late on the east coast but if you're up (i get the feeling you're a night owl) and want to chat, give me a call on my cell xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I'd really like to apologize over the phone for my father and ease your mind. Seth and I signed a contract with you, not my dad, and we will make good on it. We are so excited about working with you and really hope that this conversation you had today won't negatively skew your opinion of us or the beautiful wedding we are so excited about sharing with our family and friends.

Give me a call tonight or anytime tomorrow.

Warmly,
Lauren

So I feel that this situation is currently resolved. I explained to her that the final payment is due in the form of certified funds and a credit card for her final payment cannot be accepted. If anything else comes up over this I will let you guys know. Thanks for the great advice and counterpoints. Have a great weekend everyone!

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:04 PM
Matt B.
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

This debate has me curious, if I normally accept credit cards as a form of payment can I simply require a customer pay me by another means if I so choose? What if my contract doesn't specify the manner in which the payments can be made?

Sounds like that's a gray area to me, I'd be interested if anyone knows the answer even though it probably varies from state to state.

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

In my contract it states a dollar amount that is owed. It does not require a specific payment, but after all of this I may require a check or cash for the final payment as others have suggested.

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:43 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Not a good contract negociator but a contract terminator if he starts that way and force you to think about terminating it.

Hard to say what to do but he has put a lot of pressure even if you get paid in cash, he will probably check out every single pixel from the jpgs and who knows he may find a round one

Jaime

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:57 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

EMAIL the bride so you have a complete record of everything that happens. I've had two dicey clients in my career and when things get dicey, I'll only email and I'll tell them as such so that I have records.

But definitely contact the bride and let her know the score and politely but firmly stand up for yourself. Do not deal with the father at all. The bride is your contracted person. The father sounds like a bully. BTW, I have a check only policy.

Mar 15, 2013 at 03:22 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password