Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.1 #1 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I received a call this evening from the FOB for a wedding we have in middle May in Hilton Head. He explains to me that he just now read over our contract that his daughter signed back in January. After some time explaining that he is a contract negotiator here in Atlanta, he tells me that he is not comfortable with paying us in full before he sees all of the images from the wedding. Our policy has been the same for 8 years, we require the full balance at least 7 days prior to the event. After going back and forth he tells me that he will pay the final balance on a credit card a week before but "be prepared for a charge back if there is something that he is not happy with." It seems to me that this guy is setting me up for failure on his level of being happy with the photos. I tell them that everyone is paid before the wedding and that he doesn't pay the catering company after everyone has eaten. That is how we work and how I intend to keep our financial policies. My question is: Do I continue on with this wedding or forfeit the contract and give their deposit back? The last thing I want is to travel to Hilton Head, shoot the wedding, edit the photos, and receive a charge back notice from AMEX two weeks later. Thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
Chris

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:45 AM
amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

He's not your client; the bride is your client. So, I assume your policy on payment was all explained to her. It's industry standard. If she signed the contract, the balance is due in advance, or the images aren't touched. End of story. Whether you show or not is your choice. With travel, I wouldn't; but if it was local, I would. They'd just lose the second shooter with me.

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.1 #3 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I explained that exact point that my client is the bride and that is who initiated contact, booked and signed our contract. His response "I am the one financing the wedding, it's my money you are receiving."

Mar 15, 2013 at 12:57 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

lol If he expects you to abide by the contract, then you need to expect him to. If it's so important to him, maybe he should have been there for the signing.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:00 AM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.1 #5 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Good point! She is 27, it's not like I swindled a 18 year old fresh out of high school that has no idea about contracts.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:01 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

How was the deposit paid?

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.1 #7 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

The deposit was paid by the brides AMEX.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:05 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I think I would notify the bride that no images will be delivered until after the chargeback period has expired due to her fathers threats unless they pay the balance in cash. Homie don't play dat. My contract specifies balance is due 30 days before the event, and I would tell him the booking is cancelled 29 days before the event if payment is not received in cash as per the payment scheduled layer out in the contract. I have no tolerance for threats like that.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Matt B.
• • •
p.1 #9 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

TTLKurtis wrote:
I have no tolerance for threats like that.

You've got that right.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:19 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

All my final payments are cash or check - 30 days out. I don't gamble credit like that. You might want to increase the 7 day thing.

Oh, and I agree on the threat. I'd demand cash/check at this point.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I agree, he is threatening me 2 months out from the wedding? Our work speaks for itself and I am driving almost 4 hours to shoot the wedding. It's not like I am going to show up, shoot, and never deliver the images. Leave it to a FOB to mess up a rather good day

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:25 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I had a father of the bride do the same a few years ago. I told him the contract was not between him and I. It was between his daughter and my company. I would send her the bill to be paid beforehand. He said he was paying and would chargeback if I did not meet his requirements. I called the bride and said her father was threatening me and I would not be shooting her wedding because of the threats and due to section 18 in my contract that if I feel at threat at any point the contract is now terminated and all monies paid will be forfeited. She called her dad and made him call to apologize and she made the payment in cash so her father could not interfere.

Guess who got their wedding photos 48 hours later

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:29 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Sounds like you need a sit down with the bride and her father. If you can't get things gellin', you may want to dump this one.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:31 AM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.1 #14 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

I would love to sit down with them but she currently lives in Phoenix and dad lives here in Atlanta where I am. I think I will email the bride and point out what Nick just stated.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:39 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

Yea, sounds like your bet shot. It will probably go the way he described too.

Did you shoot an e-shoot for them?

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Graceology
• •
Account locked
p.1 #16 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

It is a wedding shoot only. With them being so far away, they just wanted the wedding coverage.

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:52 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

amonline wrote:
Sounds like you need a sit down with the bride and her father. If you can't get things gellin', you may want to dump this one.

Mob style sit down?

Forget about it!

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:06 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.1 #18 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

It might be "his" money, but his name isn't on the contract. He has absolutely no say in the matter from a contractual standpoint. If he tells his daughter that he isn't paying, she still has a financial obligation to fulfill. Of course, if she was in breach of contract and you tried to sue him he would quickly point out that he was not a responsible party.

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:13 AM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

What's the chargeback period for AMEX?

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:25 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Phone call from father of bride about final payment

That's the thing with AMEX. I've heard (from an insider) that they'll do chargebacks as long as a year out. I think their written policy is 6 months. It's why I don't take AMEX.

Mar 15, 2013 at 02:31 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password