Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which soft box

superblue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Which soft box

Guys, I suppose you get what you pay for with regards softboxes but who can you recommend that is reasonable in price but still gives great color rendition etc etc, the size I'm thinking of is around the 150cm (5ft), not sure on rectangular or ocatagon shape as yet but would appreciate your input, I will be in the the USA for two weeks soon so can order online & have it shipped to my buddy's house cheers

Martin

Mar 12, 2013 at 08:27 PM
kenyee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Which soft box

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1189154

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Which soft box

superblue wrote:
...with regards softboxes ...who can you recommend that is reasonable in price ...the size I'm thinking of is around the 150cm (5ft)...

What light will you be using?

What price is "reasonable" within your budget?

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Which soft box

kenyee wrote:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1189154

Thanks for that link, very helpful, it seems Chimera has a good following, I'll check them out!

Mar 13, 2013 at 04:58 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Which soft box

BrianO wrote:
What light will you be using?

What price is "reasonable" within your budget?

Hey Brian, I'm only going to be shooting at my home, I can squeeze 3/4 length shots in of a family of four, but space is limited I'm afraid, I have 2 small 180ws lights mounted with two 60x60cm sofboxes, I want to get a 400ws light & a larger softbox, we have a couple of suppliers here in the UK who are pretty reasonable with decent feedback, they are Bessel & Smick, their 120 x 80cm sofboxes are around the $100 mark. It's about a good qualatiy of light really.

Mar 13, 2013 at 05:19 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Which soft box

Wow! Chimera is way above my budget!

Mar 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #7 · Which soft box

Photoflex is probably your best bet if Chimera is too expensive. They make rugged products that last at a reasonable price.

Mar 13, 2013 at 02:45 PM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Which soft box

Thanks Deezie............being new to studio stuff I was wondering, is there a huge difference in light boxes? by that I mean the quality of the light they give?

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:27 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #9 · Which soft box

This is my "go to" modifier for portraits, the 52-inch Photek Illuminata. Check it out here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/185548-REG/Photek_R_3052_Illuminata_II_Octagonal_Light.html

Mar 13, 2013 at 03:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Which soft box

superblue wrote:
...is there a huge difference in light boxes? by that I mean the quality of the light they give?

The biggest factor affecting the quality of light from soft boxes is the size of the box: the larger the source, the softer the light.

Another factor is the evenness of the light across the face of the front panel, and that can be affected by the shape of the box, the type of light mounted in it, etc.

Finally, there's the color of the light; most soft boxes are pretty neutral, at least when new, but I've seen some cheaper ones that yellowed pretty quickly and a few that looked too blue due to brighteners in the fabric.

If you stick with well-known brands none of them should be problematic with regard to quality of light; the main differences will be in quality of construction, with the more expensive ones generally being more long-lived and/or easier to set up.

Mar 13, 2013 at 09:28 PM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Which soft box

Thanks a million Brian, all info duly noted.

Mar 14, 2013 at 05:12 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Which soft box

Steve Wylie wrote:
This is my "go to" modifier for portraits, the 52-inch Photek Illuminata. Check it out here:

Thanks Steve, it seems these too get pretty good reviews & a price range that suits me better

Mar 14, 2013 at 05:15 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Which soft box

superblue wrote:
...with regards softboxes ...who can you recommend that is reasonable in price ...the size I'm thinking of is around the 150cm (5ft)...

You might want to check out this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75852-REG/Photek_SL_6000_Umbrella_Softlighter_II.html

Not exactly a soft box, but it's five feet in diameter and is less than $100.

Mar 14, 2013 at 05:57 AM
Waki
• •
p.1 #14 · Which soft box

Any of the newer umbrellas like the Buff PLM with a diffusion panel or the Westcott 7' para-shaped umbrella with a diffusion panel works very similar to a octa style softbox. Pretty reasonable too. Thy all mimic the Softlighter but the Softlighter is almost legendary.

I watched part of a video with Joel Grimes (sports and fashion photographer) using a 5ft octa and a 7' Westcott white umbrellas with diffuser and his results clearly showed how the $99 Westcott worked very well and very much like his octa box. I use the Westcott silver with diffusion panel and while its sort of big, it works well.

There are a lot of cheaper umbrella style/softbox modifiers out now. I'm not a Westcott fanboy but happened to notice their Rapid Box softboxs which fold and work like umbrellas, I think they are new. Seems you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a new modifier most every day.....

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:21 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #15 · Which soft box

BrianO wrote:
You might want to check out this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75852-REG/Photek_SL_6000_Umbrella_Softlighter_II.html

Not exactly a soft box, but it's five feet in diameter and is less than $100.

I bought one of those today, reviews on site are mostly positive so will see how it goes.

Mar 14, 2013 at 02:54 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #16 · Which soft box

for years we used a Photek Softlighter as main light source in studio. Moved up to Larsons some time ago - but for the money the Photek is a better value... can be used w/pack heads/monolights/speedlights. Still use the Photek alot for location work, as the Larsons are rigid...

Mar 15, 2013 at 01:49 AM
superblue
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Which soft box

Thanks everyone, very helpful indeed.

Mar 16, 2013 at 09:30 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password