Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

etchen

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

For anyone that has used these whether its the newer RFi or the older version.
I'm mainly looking to use it for fashion portraits in studio and on location.

I've tried googling the differences but couldn't come up with anything that compares these 2 Octa Boxes.

What are some pros/cons or either?

thanks.

Mar 07, 2013 at 05:42 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

The 3' octa is good for head shots to about 3/4 and the 5' will take you out to full length. A similar set up would be the elinchrom 39" deep octa vs. the 56" deep octa. Frank Doorhoff has a blog about why he prefers the larger deep octa for full length fashion.

http://www.frankdoorhof.com/site/2011/10/elinchrom-1-50-indirect-octa/

Mar 07, 2013 at 08:01 PM
etchen

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS!
This is a really big help :-)

Mar 07, 2013 at 09:31 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

I love the indirect octa from Elinchrom. It is dreamy but on a lark I bought a Rime Lite grand soft box, I bought the 79" version. It's parabolic, very deep and you position a light traditionally from the back. I just set it up today in the studio and had a few others testing it with me. It's pretty cool and very much like the indirect octa. It was on sale at B&H for $403 plus a speed ring. The indirect is also on sale for $569. I love 'em both.
BTW, the Rime Lite is built solid, pretty easy to assemble although I wouldn't want to use it on location. It's relatively light weight too for its size. They make a 91" and I sort of wish I had bought it. It looks like a deep space satellite dish. One model today saw it and was stunned. She asked what it was....heh heh.

Mar 07, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

FYI, here is a link to a picture taken yesterday after I set up the Grand Softbox in the studio. I wanted to get a shot showing the size.....
https://picasaweb.google.com/wkilburg/MiscStudio?authkey=Gv1sRgCIvx0N7KtvWXKA#5853075353103645922

Mar 08, 2013 at 10:58 PM
316shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

I have two of the older 5' octabanks from profoto and find they are my go-to source for a very large percentage of my work. Extremely well made and gorgeous light. Had the 3' size for a while, but found the 5' more versatile. Still have a 7' Elinchrom octa, but it mostly lives in the studio now, and the Profoto 5' banks go on location since they are more durable and easier to manage outdoors or in any location.

Mar 08, 2013 at 11:19 PM
etchen

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

I ended up getting the 5' Octa Profoto RFi softbox and it's amazing. I was thinking of downsizing to the 3' version but from what the overall research I've been doing, I've realized that bigger is better.

Mar 11, 2013 at 03:07 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

etchen wrote:
...I was thinking of downsizing to the 3' version but from what the overall research I've been doing, I've realized that bigger is better.

Yeah, it's (relatively) easy to make a large light smaller -- masks, etc. -- but it's harder to make a small light bigger.

Mar 11, 2013 at 04:22 AM
etchen

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

that's so true Brian!
thanks so much :-)

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:19 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

BrianO wrote:
Yeah, it's (relatively) easy to make a large light smaller -- masks, etc. -- but it's harder to make a small light bigger.

Well, you can use diffusion panels and silks to enlarge a light source. ;-) It does make spill harder to control though.

Mar 12, 2013 at 04:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

BrianO wrote:

tedwca wrote:
Well, you can use diffusion panels and silks to enlarge a light source. ;-) It does make spill harder to control though.

Of course. I said it's harder; I didn't say it was impossible. Sometimes you can move it closer, sometimes you can bounce it, etc.

Mar 12, 2013 at 04:47 AM
etchen

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

I've had a few shoots already using the 5' Octa Softbox Profoto RFi. I just ordered the 3' version to play around with. I personally find the 5' too big for my needs and it is quite big and as I understand you can just move the 3' back a bit and increase power. the only way to find out is to try both of them. :-)

Apr 03, 2013 at 04:48 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

etchen wrote:
...I personally find the 5' too big for my needs and it is quite big and as I understand you can just move the 3' back a bit and increase power.

Moving a 3-footer back wouldn't simulate a 5-footer; to increase the relative size you'd need to move it closer.

Apr 03, 2013 at 06:52 PM
etchen

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

okay, good to know, thanks brian

Apr 03, 2013 at 07:14 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

etchen wrote:
...I personally find the 5' too big for my needs and it is quite big and as I understand you can just move the 3' back a bit and increase power.

BrianO wrote:
Moving a 3-footer back wouldn't simulate a 5-footer; to increase the relative size you'd need to move it closer.

etchen wrote:
okay, good to know, thanks brian

Oops; I meant to include this graphic in my previous post, since a picture says a thousand words:

Apr 03, 2013 at 08:29 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

I think what he meant is he can move the 3' octa away from the subject and increase the power to increase the coverage, i.e.. light full length images. This would work but it would completely change the character of the light. I still think the 5' octa would be the best choice for what he wants to light, but you should use what you are comfortable with.

Apr 03, 2013 at 11:26 PM
etchen

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

Thanks for the picture - it does make more sense.

I'm definitely going to have to play around with both the 3' Octa and 5' Octa to see which one I'm more comfortable with.

Apr 07, 2013 at 06:23 AM
pjny
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

Can anyone compare the light quality of the Profoto 3' Octa to the Elinchrom Deep Octa 39"? I bought the Elinchrom but thinking of returning it and getting the Profoto because the Lighttools 30 degree grid for the Elinchrom is $571!!!1

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM
James10013
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Profoto RFi Octa 3' or 5'?

pjny wrote:
Can anyone compare the light quality of the Profoto 3' Octa to the Elinchrom Deep Octa 39"? I bought the Elinchrom but thinking of returning it and getting the Profoto because the Lighttools 30 degree grid for the Elinchrom is $571!!!1

If you are interested in controlling spill, why not just get the hooded diffuser for the Deep Octa.

Jul 02, 2013 at 10:25 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password