Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

Mencho22

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

Searching the web I found 4 filter holder options for a 14-24mm lens. I am wondering wich one would you choose and why?

1.- Lee SW-150 system (Kit cost USD 368)
www.adorama.com/LEKITSW150.html

2.- Lucroit (Holder cost USD 339)
lucroit.com/SHOP/product.php?id_product=20

3.- Dwarocks (Holder cost USD 190)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150774369799?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

4.- WonderPana 66 (Holder cost USD 299)
http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/wonderpana-66-system-system-holder-6-wide-holder-bracket-upgrade-and-lens-cap-for-the-nikon-14-24mm-fx-lens.html

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:29 PM
dlabrecque
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

My only experience is with Lee, but it's a well made piece of equipment. It's better to have the lens collar pre-assembled on the lens before you get into the field, and the way Lee designed the collar seems to indicate that's what they had in mind. The only weakness with the set up is the necessary size of the whole rig and the fact that any stray light reflecting on the back of the filter could easily find its way onto the image. Lee came up with a two piece baffle that you attach behind the filter, but that solution adds even more bulk to the filter holder. Have not heard much comment about the other makers, but I think the adage of "Getting what you pay for" tends to apply here.

Note that Lee also provides an excellent 2 stop GND filter with their package which none of the others provide.

Mar 04, 2013 at 07:43 PM
rarrace

p.1 #3 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

I have used the Lee as well and it is excellent...the light / glare getting through is an issue for sure and the baffles they provide don't block it in all conditions. Also with a little fab it is possible to use 4mm thick filters and to stack filters, ie if you want an ND with a CPL.

Recently sourced a fotodiox kit but have had little time with it...cures the light leak but is arguably even more bulky.
I see they now also offer an adapter for 6" rectangular filters...if anyone can comment on that I would be interested to hear.

Until this post I was not familiar with the other two and also would love to hear feedback from anyone who is.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:15 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #4 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

#3 looks interesting to me. He ships from Houston (where I live) so I am going to see if I can see it in the flesh before I invest. If I do, I'll let you know what I think.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:29 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #5 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

I see he recommends using 150 X 170mm filters. Any reason not to use 150 X 150mm?

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #6 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

GND filters need some length to move up and down to adjust the plane of gradation to the picture's horizon so they're always rectangular. NDs can be square, same as CPLs, though CPLs need to rotate.

Mar 05, 2013 at 01:00 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #7 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

Im heading towards the Fotodiox model

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Circular-Polarizing-14-24mm/dp/B006P6XH80

Mar 05, 2013 at 02:16 AM
fishjump
• •
p.1 #8 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

I have the fotodiox system with a full set of ND filters and CP. Seems very well made.

Mar 05, 2013 at 03:45 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #9 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

dlabrecque wrote:
GND filters need some length to move up and down to adjust the plane of gradation to the picture's horizon so they're always rectangular. NDs can be square, same as CPLs, though CPLs need to rotate.

I was thinking of ND's, not grads. I should have been clearer about that.

Mar 05, 2013 at 04:16 AM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #10 · Wich filter holder for a Nikon 14-24mm you would choose?

Never heard back from the eBay guy. Probably won't consider one.

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password