Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · The key to High-Key (Lastolite Hi-Liteand train )

dougfatheruk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The key to High-Key (Lastolite Hi-Liteand train )

Hi Folks,

I'm having tough time with the Lastolite hi-lite and vinyl train.

While the Hi-lite itself is effortless to overexpose and get good results the same cannot be said for the vinyl train.

I have three lights and set the hi-lite for f16 and two main lights at f8 giving me a combined f11 at the subject, is this right or a better way?

I currently use softboxes but am considering umbrellas for more spill.

The train is always a subtle brown colour and using the Lastolite post method of Photoshop levels and the white dropper tool just blows all the side detail and doesn't look great.

Is there anything else i can do to improve this, i'm guessing i have to do some work in post, i just don't want it to look too artificial which seems to happen if i paint it out.

Thanks in advance
Doug

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:17 PM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The key to High-Key (Lastolite Hi-Liteand train )

You definitely need a light just for the train, as your subject lights most likely won't do the job. I would start by using just one light on your subject, maybe replacing the other with a reflector, and use the other for the train.

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:08 PM
dougfatheruk
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The key to High-Key (Lastolite Hi-Liteand train )

Thanks Myam,

How would you recommend positioning that light?

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:13 PM
myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The key to High-Key (Lastolite Hi-Liteand train )

No problem. There will certainly be some trial and error involved, but place the light on one side of the train and aim it more toward the other side for an even coverage of light, while avoiding to much spill onto the back of your subject. Use your modeling lights for exact positioning and try an umbrella for a bit more spread, like you said.

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:19 PM
BruceF99
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The key to High-Key (Lastolite Hi-Liteand train )

Lastolite has a couple of videos that may help. http://www.lastoliteschoolofphotography.com/tag/hilite-vinyl-train

Mar 03, 2013 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password