Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       6       7       end

Archive 2013 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Thank you Jerry, one shall know his true friends when his time of need comes.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:08 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #2 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

StillFingerz wrote:
Perhaps one or two of those 11 batt volts misbehaved...if that's SOOC, was it the only image or is it consistently creating that pattern...yikes

The image file written on the other (backup) card turned out OK like below.
I think my 1DX could be NFG.

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 01:56 PM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:11 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Duckbot!

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:18 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.5 #4 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

A much cleaner image, let's hope it is/was just a card and not a body NFG issue, it's still under warranty I would think...no fun there.

If it needs repair, guess you'll have to forgo your X rated EOSfun and shoot those crap Ns for awhile, given their horrible IQ not sure we can bare it

Sure hope it doesn't have to go in, it's so early in the game for a flockup...

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:19 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.5 #5 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

As Jim was saying, if that kinda "duckbot" crap becomes a standard output of my 1DX, I can always post that stuff on the Digital processing forum....they probably wouldn't know the difference.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:22 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #6 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
Sorry to say it, but most (not all) of the arguments for the 1DX over the 5D3 sound like people trying to justify why they spent a whole lot more money so they could have the latest and greatest. Unless you shoot sports or wildlife and you use 12fps, the 1DX is not a need, it's a want. The 5D3 will not die in a rainstorm or a snow storm. It won't die in a war zone, unless it takes a direct hit, but then so would the 1DX. The 5D3 AF is either a touch better or matches the
...Show more

A 400x CF card don't have a 90mb/s write/read speed. Just check with brands like Lexar--Transcend or the other known brands that have 400x cards. So what card did you use
Andthere is a huge difference if using the 1000x instead of the 400x cards

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:37 AM
Sven Jeppesen
• • • •
p.5 #7 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

jcolwell wrote:
I haven't contributed to this thread until now, because I don't have a 5DIII. OTOH, I have a 1DX, a 1DIV, and a 5DII. I'd love to have a 5DIII as well, but my priority was to get a FF camera with high fps. Most people on this forum who have a 1DX, bought it because it does what they need. Most of those people, including me, had to dig pretty deep to do that.

It would be easy to turn your (Bones74) logic around to say something about people who are bitter because they had to "settle" for a
...Show more

+1

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:41 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.5 #8 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Greetings, "thread killer" here. I hesitate to inject this but if you go to DxO and compare the sensors for the 5D3, 1DX, and D800, and then actually look at the graph data, especially at display (pixel) level, then depending on the size of your screen, there is at least a 1/4 inch of daylight (LCDlight) between the 1DX and the other two for both dynamic range (above ISO 800 for the D800) and SNR. I've seen 20 page threads of diatribe devoted to differences of that magnitude. So that's got to count for something for 1DX fans, right?

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:43 AM
stanj
• • • • •
p.5 #9 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Jeff Nolten wrote:
Greetings, "thread killer" here. I hesitate to inject this but if you go to DxO and compare the sensors for the 5D3, 1DX, and D800, and then actually look at the graph data, especially at display (pixel) level, then depending on the size of your screen, there is at least a 1/4 inch of daylight (LCDlight) between the 1DX and the other two for both dynamic range (above ISO 800 for the D800) and SNR. I've seen 20 page threads of diatribe devoted to differences of that magnitude. So that's got to count for something for 1DX fans, right?

Not sure about DXO, they posted some good and also trash values over the time; personally having shot the D800E against the 1DX side by side in high contrast and bracketed both with 5 frames just to be sure, the D800E brings out clearly more detail and DR at the same time. If other people have other results I will not dispute them but this is my experience. Otherwise I didn't care much for the D800E but the image quality was there.

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:03 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • •
p.5 #10 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I didn't compare the D800E and below ISO 800 the D800 clearly has more DR. But elsewhere and everywhere against the 5D3 the 1DX has the advantage. How critical this is is another matter. It's only critical if it matters to you.

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bones74
• • •
p.5 #11 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Ernie Aubert wrote:
Bones, do you suppose that those who buy a 1DX don't give serious thought to those considerations beforehand?

Ernie, do you suppose that EVERYONE who buys a 1DX doesn't give serious thought to those considerations beforehand? Some people buy a Porsche for their daily commute when a Ford Mondeo will get them to work. For example I know someone who shoots images of kids and families. She insisted that she needed a 1DX because nothing else would do. In the end she bought a 5D3 because the 1DX was out of her budget (the only consideration she made). If she could have afforded the 1Dx would it have made her images any better/salable? Doubt it, and now she has a 24-70ii to use on her 5D3.

Edited on Mar 04, 2013 at 10:29 AM · View previous versions

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Bones74
• • •
p.5 #12 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Sven Jeppesen wrote:
A 400x CF card don't have a 90mb/s write/read speed. Just check with brands like Lexar--Transcend or the other known brands that have 400x cards. So what card did you use
Andthere is a huge difference if using the 1000x instead of the 400x cards

Transcend 32gb CF card:

32GB Data Storage Capacity
400x Speed Rating
Max. Read Speed: 90MB/s
Max. Write Speed: 60MB/s (I guess this is the part that counts?) If so I need at least a 600x card!

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:16 AM
kouasupra1
• •
p.5 #13 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

I agreed with bones74. The 1Dx isn't going to sell anymore photos then what the 5D3 can do. It's about prestige to some folks. Do I need all of those features the 1Dx has? Of course not. In fact a 5Dc can do about 90% of my work.

At the moment I'm currently using a 5d3 with grip. I hardly shoot sports and the 6FPS is more then plenty. But do I want 12FPS if I can afford it? Heck yeah I would. But I just can't think of 6,700 reasons why. Tough decision indeed.

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:52 AM
Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
p.5 #14 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

kouasupra1 wrote:
I agreed with bones74. The 1Dx isn't going to sell anymore photos then what the 5D3 can do. It's about prestige to some folks. Do I need all of those features the 1Dx has? Of course not. In fact a 5Dc can do about 90% of my work.

At the moment I'm currently using a 5d3 with grip. I hardly shoot sports and the 6FPS is more then plenty. But do I want 12FPS if I can afford it? Heck yeah I would. But I just can't think of 6,700 reasons why. Tough decision indeed.

Tell the Action, Sport, Bird & Wildlife shooters that. And all the Alt lens users that need to change the focusing screen I never see any 5D3 at all the Sport shooting that I attend to. I suppose those photographers don't understand it...........

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Larate
• •
p.5 #15 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
Ernie, do you suppose that EVERYONE who buys a 1DX doesn't give serious thought to those considerations beforehand? Some people buy a Porsche for their daily commute when a Ford Mondeo will get them to work. For example I know someone who shoots images of kids and families. She insisted that she needed a 1DX because nothing else would do. In the end she bought a 5D3 because the 1DX was out of her budget (the only consideration she made). If she could have afforded the 1Dx would it have made her images any better/salable? Doubt it, and now she
...Show more

Is it a kind of jealousy ?! How are you concerned about the fact someone can afford itself such a camera/lens to shoot only kid and family photos ?

I'm not a sport/bif/wild life photog. What vibrates my soul are landscapes (not the WA with large Dof version !). Anyway, I had a 7D and I've made stunning photos with it (I had to confess I was using superb EF lens which helped a lot).
When I wanted to have a try with FF, I didn't hesitate between 5D3 and D800, but between 1Dx and D4. Because after having sum up the differences, I estimated the formers weren't worth the try regarding my expectations (e.g for Canon's bodies AF accuracy at wide apertures, linked spot with AF, dual CF cards, and so on).

Did I make a mistake ? Perhaps, but I don't care. It was my hard earned money and I don't like cars but to bring me from A point to B point ! Sans remords ni regrets !

Larate

Mar 04, 2013 at 11:56 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #16 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
Ernie, do you suppose that EVERYONE who buys a 1DX doesn't give serious thought to those considerations beforehand? Some people buy a Porsche for their daily commute when a Ford Mondeo will get them to work. For example I know someone who shoots images of kids and families. She insisted that she needed a 1DX because nothing else would do. In the end she bought a 5D3 because the 1DX was out of her budget (the only consideration she made). If she could have afforded the 1Dx would it have made her images any better/salable? Doubt it, and now she
...Show more

So, you think this is a good example of somebody justifying why they should have a 1DX, even though they didn't actually buy one?

Anyway, she could have taken twice as many photos in the same time. They might not be better, but there would be more of them.

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.5 #17 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

jcolwell wrote:
Anyway, she could have taken twice as many photos in the same time. They might not be better, but there would be more of them.

, now thats funny, awesome Yes I think it is a good example, because all she considered in the end was the price, not that the 1DX was massive overkill for what she wanted to achieve. I think that if someone has to weigh up whether or not they are going to need the 1DX (over the 5D3), then they "probably" don't need it. I'm sure you knew that you needed the 1DX as opposed to just wanted it

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:08 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.5 #18 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

Bones74 wrote:
.... I'm sure you knew that you needed the 1DX as opposed to just wanted it

Yep, from day 1.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Bones74
• • •
p.5 #19 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

jcolwell wrote:
Yep, from day 1.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.5 #20 · For those who upgrade to 1Dx, was it worth it?

But why should you care if someone wants to buy a 1D X and in your opinion they don't need it? Perhaps you do some things others wouldn't do... so what?

Mar 04, 2013 at 03:19 PM
       6       7       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

6       7       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password