Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

asparkes
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Hi there,

So, I've shot a few e-sessions here there entirely with mirrorless cameras. Fuji X and Olympus OM-D mostly. My wife and I were have a conversation about this today. She is concerned that perhaps, these smaller cameras don't look professional enough to be using on job, at least not without presence of say my 5DIII. What do you think of this?

I'm not debating the merits of using these cams as far as results go. They work and work very well, IMHO. So, that's not the discussion. The question is about client perception.

Does not having the "big" camera and hero looking lenses make you seem somehow less professional?

TIA

Mar 02, 2013 at 07:52 PM
Ghost
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

I'd shoot with an OMD or is it EM5 if I can. But it's AF though is fast for m4/3, it is no where near dslrs for tracking moving subjects.

Not sure about hero gear = professional, but as I get older I want to carry less stuff.

Less = More.

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:25 PM
alohadave
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Is your client going to even notice what camera you have? Have they said anything to you about it?

I don't ever remember looking at the camera being used before I got into photography. They were the professional and they chose the camera that best suited their needs.

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:27 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Without a doubt, and even more so now, there is a public perception that the larger a camera the more "professional" it is. When everyone carries around a D5000 or a rebel, having that 1DX or D4 gives the appearance of being "professional." I've read on other forums examples of people being asked if they're a professional or assumed so because they have such an obnoxiously large camera. And I can personally vouch for the other end of the spectrum, using a Leica on assignment I've been disregarded as being an amateur on a handful of occasions.

There are occasions where the appearance of professionalism is just as important as working as such.

Mar 02, 2013 at 09:26 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

in our current pc enviroment, perception means more than substance.

Mar 02, 2013 at 09:46 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

My largest camera is my Leica M9 and I supplement that with a pair of Olympus EM5's. So far perception hasn't been an issue. It's probably due to the fact that at a wedding we're not the only ones with a DSLR but we are the only ones with a flash in the hotshoe. An EM5 with a grip is a small camera, but stick an FL50R in the hotshoe and people still think you know what you're doing. I don't think that guest can judge how big a camera really is because it's constantly in motion but they can see if you have accessories hanging off it like grips and flashes/triggers. We still do guest shots at receptions and my black OMD gets through without any commments.

Anyway. I'm not exactly the shy and retiring type. When I shoot people don't mistake me for a guest.

One thing I have noticed though is that people do notice the camera, regardless of size. I have a silver and a black EM5. The black one gets no attention. The silver one gets more attention than any camera I've ever owned. EM5's are well advertised here so I do get "Is that an OMD?" about every second wedding. Occasionally I'll get a "Is that camera old?" when shooting the Leica, usually from the brides family or the bridal party as they will notice. Both my current Leicas are black so they usually get through un-noticed at a reception but every now and again I'll have someone recognise them.

One thing I do do is explain to couples about the fact I use small cameras and why during our first face to face meeting. My gear is different to what most other use so I want to sell that as a point of differentiation between me and the dude up the road with a couple of Canons and a pair of zooms.

And no, I have never used CAF on any of my cameras at a wedding so I don't feel restricted using mirrorless in any way. I can actually carry every lens I'll use for the day on a waist belt.

Gordon

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:11 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Is that why Ken Rockwell has this as the cover image on his website?

Now I understand why people listen to everything he says!

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:11 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Perhaps, but its your choice as to whether you care about what others think (you acknowledge output is not an issue). On this topic, I don't think it's something to concern yourself with.

Mar 02, 2013 at 10:15 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

camera size absolutely defines how serious you're considered in most people's perception. if you want to look professional, use a pro DSLR (D4/1D) or a gripped semi-pro (D600/5D) with large lenses. however, not every pro wants to be so easily identified as a pro, and discreet cameras are an advantage.

if the Fuji system gets much better, I'd probably shoot with that for 3/4 of the day in order to be discreet. I'd probably still pull out a large SLR for family formals to command a little more respect.

Mar 03, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Ziffl3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

I was playing with my dads Fugi X-E1.

not bad...a little slow to change settings .... but still fun.
not sure about shooting in the dark.

Mar 03, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Screw what people think because only the results matter. My guess is that people are going to book you based on your results and not on the equipment you use. People are much more likely to remember you by how you treat them and how you handle yourself around them than the equipment you use.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:34 AM
asparkes
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Thanks for the input guys. Really interesting to see the all of the angles you have. I know there isn't a real answer to be had on this topic, but I have to wonder if a blossoming mirrorless market isn't going to continue to push this challenge? I'm with Brett here. It really feels like we are only a few years away from being able to enjoy a much more low key approach to shooting for a majority of the day. I'm already mixing in Fuji and M43 regularly, with zero concern about the ability of the cameras.. I've got a pretty solid handle on the limitations of each. My wife just brought this up to me, and I guess that I hadn't considered it too much. I'll say this an olympus OM-D with a 45mm f/1.8 sure looks a lot different than my 5D with any lens, even the 40mm pancake, so I can't imagine that would go entirely unnoticed. I do believe the retro styling on the Fuji X series cameras, as well as the OM-D E-m5 help the "marketability" of their look. At least right now in 2013, the intrigue of what appears to be an older camera certainly does draw some intrigue. Not sure if that is going to wear off for folks as this design inevitably gets aped. As a side note, I've fallen so deeply in love with these little cameras, that I'm currently housing Sony, Fuji and Olympus stuff ... can't decide what to keep!

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:14 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

I used to care about this. Like Alan said though I think you are getting hired before they see your camera and you can make any kind of impression you want regardless of the camera. I've tried Leica and Olympus this last year and while I really liked the size I'm back to Nikon d3s bodies (due to performance, not size).

- trr

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:57 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Adam
I would not worry about what people think. Your couples hire you because you are a competent photographer not because of how big your camera is. I shot with a Xpro1 for a while and now with an X100 and will be transitioning to Leica soon on the wide end. I wholeheartedly believe that having a smaller easier system to deal with is a great way to go. Carrying around any legitimate pro DSLR is literally back breaking work.

As far as the smaller cameras go with the smaller sensors... It really depends on what you want and expect from the camera. I really really really hoped Fuji would come out ahead with a mirrorless system that had rangefinder capabilities. Either APSC or full frame would be fine with me. Fuji says they have the tech to go full frame but doubts they will. Sony has gone full frame but Sony is technology company not a camera company. Their cameras are never quit geared towards the user and are always a little "weird" for a lack of a better word. After having shot with or tested pretty much all of the smaller systems I found myself back at Leica. Simple, easy to use, no BS cameras that actually produce amazing results. The M9 produces amazing files and the new M (240) is going to be even better. If you put those files next to any of the other smaller format cameras the Leica makes them look like a joke. The price is stupid but whatever if it is the right tool for the job.

Long story short dont worry about what people think!

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:03 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

asparkes wrote:
Does not having the "big" camera ... make you seem somehow less professional?

I think the expectation of most brides is that the Pro will be using a big camera. In conversations I've had with young women, when the subject has turned to "photography", I've been told along the lines, "I use such-and-such consumer DSLR, I'm sure your camera is much bigger". The expectation is there that a Pro uses a big camera.

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:50 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

flash wrote:
One thing I do do is explain to couples about the fact I use small cameras and why during our first face to face meeting.

What do you tell them as to the "why"?

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:11 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Just tell them how much your Leica M9/M240 costs. People are blown away such a small camera costs so much.

I use small cameras like a Leica M6 and I use huge cameras that dwarf pro gripped dSLRs like medium format Contax 645s with grips. Nobody treats me any differently regardless of which camera I'm holding.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Joshua Gull
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

Just tell them how much your Leica M9/M240 costs. People are blown away such a small camera costs so much.

I use small cameras like a Leica M6 and I use huge cameras that dwarf pro gripped dSLRs like medium format Contax 645s with grips. Nobody treats me any differently regardless of which camera I'm holding.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:17 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

I just tell brides we use the best equipment for the job. I have never had anyone make a comment about my cameras or even ask for explanation about them. Even when I have my film cameras out people dont say anything.

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:17 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Mirrorless, and not looking like a badass ...

TRReichman wrote:

I've tried Leica and Olympus this last year and while I really liked the size I'm back to Nikon d3s bodies (due to performance, not size).

Where were they falling down? Autofocus? High-ISO image quality?

Mar 03, 2013 at 04:19 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password