New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cheapest HD video with Nikon glass

farski
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cheapest HD video with Nikon glass

Currently, except for my iPhone, I have no way of recording video. I very rarely need to, but if I can figure out a way of doing it cheaply using my existing glass, I would like to be able to when the need arrises.

The only things I'm really looking for are: choice of 24/30fps (60 would be a welcome bonus), shutter angle* control, and aperture control (w/ G lenses). Beyond that, I don't really care. Don't really care about, AF, AE, sensor size, high ISO performance, rolling shutter, output format, compression ratio, audio, etc. 1080 would be my first choice, but 720 wouldn't be a deal breaker. I guess I should say I want an *actual* camera, not an adapter for my phone, or something like that.

If I'm remember correctly, the oldest consumer body from Nikon that did video was the D90, but I don't think that ever got the ability to control shutter angle, and I'm not sure about 24/30 either. Beyond that, I don't really follow the specs of the 3xxx, 5xxx, or 7xxx series bodies, and I know almost nothing about third party bodies that have F mounts (or accept F-mount lenses with adapters).

I really just want this to hold me over until I reshuffle my main bodies (700 and 300) to include something that does video anyway.

So, can anyone point me towards the cheapest entry point to HD video with my lenses?

* I understand what shutter angle actual refers to, and that it doesn't really apply to digital...

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:13 PM
theSuede
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cheapest HD video with Nikon glass

The cheapest really qualitatively usable option is no doubt the Nikon D5200. For video it's actually better than the D800/D600/D4. Well, unless your only conception about video "quality" is that everything is good if depth of field is uselessly shallow.

It's better on aliasing, noise, codec quality, actual footage resolution and color gradation.
What it's missing from your list is manual aperture control (during the actual recording) with -G lenses, but only the D800 has this option so far. The D7100 "might" get it. I don't know yet, and Nikon Sweden don't know yet.

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:59 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.