1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2013 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Samuli Vahonen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Bobu wrote:
Nobody has written any comments about my 360° panorama shot (positive or negative). Not interesting?

[written from personal experience point of view, not claiming this is public opinion] As far as I see it 360° panoramas are rarely art, more documentation. Hard to find what is the main subject or understand what artist has wanted to present with composition (since there isn't one). As far as I see it panoramas stop working as art when they make image wider than 2.35:1 (the movie theater ratio). If wider it would need to presented really large and accepting it's just photo from location, and there is no composition. I have tried to present very wide panoramas printed to many meter wide (really expensive), and even then this kind of 360 is not very tall, due to which it need to be watched very close. I tried to make these but since audience didn't "get it" I no longer see point of doing very wide and not so tall panoramas - I let real estate guys use these for what they are great of - documentation...

#15 wasn't 360° but suffers from same - what is the main subject?

From my experience panoramas have very little use as art, unless used for adding resolution (when printing multiple meters by multiple meters size 20+ megapixels won't be enough) or increasing virtual sensor size (=making DOF more narrow). Also I find it very difficult to compose panoramas - looking many shoot by myself few years later can't help thinking "Why this was shoot? Really ugly composition etc.".

Samuli

Mar 04, 2013 at 04:57 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

snowboarder wrote:
I think Philippe could have spent more time doing some post work

I agree, Andrew. In some ways my PP is better -or less primitive- than before but more care would have yielded better results.

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:26 PM
lenticular11
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

lenticular11 wrote:
I could not agree more with Wilhelm's statement.

Have just fairly rapidly scrolled through this wonderful thread. Visited the Lofotens for part of a day only, on a Norwegian cruise in the European summer of 2009 - must get back.

I will take more time and post the numbers of shots that I like best - that will be difficult.

Thanks so much for sharing these and for your insightful comments about planning, friendship and other wisdom. Thanks too for that Patagonia thread in similar vein.

well, I said I would take more time to list my favourites, so here goes:

Bobu

Loved:
1, 3, 6 (street traffic glow part of this!), 7, 13, 14 (best of all)

18, 20, 24, 29, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36 & 37 (what panoramas!), 39, 41, 45

Not so liked:

8, 22, 38, 40, 47, 48 (for me, I feel that the sky or main objects were too saturated)

Philber

Loved:

2, 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 13 & 28 (favourites), 14, 19, 23, 27, 31, 38, 41

...obviously I have chosen a large number rather than less, so I'm still not devoting too long to my selection process

Thanks again to you both for these truly wonderful landscapes

Mar 05, 2013 at 06:30 AM
timballic
• • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

As I've said, this thread is such a pleasure to view. Thanks and congrats to you both again.

I also said I'd comment on yours Philippe, but as my detailed comments (pg4) on Boris's went unnoticed (or ignored!)
I'll try to limit what I say!

Dare I say I agree with what snowboarder wrote:
"I think Philippe could have spent more time doing some post work"!!!!! The real problem is in seeing them next to Boris' work! (However, I have big "L" plates myself in PP, so I have three fingers pointing back to me if I point at anyone!)

My personal favourites are:

No. 1 Lovely reflections and subject matter.
No.6 Wonderful deep gold streak reflected and contrasting well with blue/grey above and below
No. 18 Pier at Reine, liked the soft twilight light and street lights with the fgnd pier
No.31 the chained hut has a lot of potential but needs a red boost IMO
(I don't "get" No.33, I imagine its shallow focus on fgnd, but it just appears oof where I want to see detail)
N0.34 Lovely composition with fgnd and reflecting Mts, (just a pity the ice was so muddy!)

My top 3 selection:
No. 12. Lovely window reflections with the second house beyond mirroring the first in another way.
No. 28 Great light on that hull and strong composition
N0.36 Misty mountain reflections.

Mar 05, 2013 at 07:36 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

timballic wrote:
I also said I'd comment on yours Philippe, but as my detailed comments (pg4) on Boris's went unnoticed (or ignored!)

Not unnoticed, I read every word and it was quite interesting and helpfull to get such detailled feedback. I just hadn't anything to comment or add.
But you are right, I forgot to say thank you for your feedback. Sorry about that.

Boris

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Samuli Vahonen wrote:
[written from personal experience point of view, not claiming this is public opinion] As far as I see it 360° panoramas are rarely art, more documentation. Hard to find what is the main subject or understand what artist has wanted to present with composition (since there isn't one). As far as I see it panoramas stop working as art when they make image wider than 2.35:1 (the movie theater ratio). If wider it would need to presented really large and accepting it's just photo from location, and there is no composition. I have tried to present very wide panoramas
...Show more

I was thinking about printing this panorama in big size ( 0.4m x 3.5m), but maybe you are right and this make no sense. Although I think this image has some composition, not as good as other images, but I would not say "there is no composition".

Boris

Mar 05, 2013 at 09:51 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

lenticular11 wrote:
well, I said I would take more time to list my favourites, so here goes:

Bobu

Loved:
1, 3, 6 (street traffic glow part of this!), 7, 13, 14 (best of all)

18, 20, 24, 29, 31, 32, 34, 35, 36 & 37 (what panoramas!), 39, 41, 45

Not so liked:

8, 22, 38, 40, 47, 48 (for me, I feel that the sky or main objects were too saturated)

Thanks again to you both for these truly wonderful landscapes

Thanks for the feedback, especially the "not so liked"!

Boris

Mar 05, 2013 at 10:00 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Lenticular and Timballic, a great many thanks for having taken the time to comment on individual pics. This is much appreciated! Much of the learning from such trips comes from comparing and getting feedback.
Now regarding your comments, just so that you should know, one of the pictures I posted belongs in my personal all-time Hall of Fame, and it did not make a single "favorites" list. One of my Top 5 made one of your favorites, and my likely N°2 & 3 just didn't speak to either of you.
The one that both of you kindly put down as a favorite, N°28, is one that I had high hopes for, but probably needs more PP to clean it up. I will try that next week-end. Just to let you know, Boris wouldn't have shot it in a million years, let alone posted the result.
All this goes to show how individual our likes and dislikes are, and how much one can learn form others.

Mar 06, 2013 at 03:06 AM
timballic
• • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Philippe, it would be so interesting if you would share with us which your "Top 5" were, then we can comment on why they didn't "speak" to us as much as the ones we preferred? (Not to tell you you're wrong!!)

As you say, personal taste is such a individual thing. Just comparing my favourites of Boris' with others for example gives a widely different result, (though #'s 18, 44 and 49 are fairly consistent top choices)
However # 5 appealed to me, especially for the contrasts of light and shadow, (except for the lower tree branches,) and both you and Boris consider it to be one of his weakest, and no one else has selected it.

Having been a member of an active camera club for many years, (though not at present), I have come to recognise how wildly differently even well respected judges see things. Why that is, is a subject for speculation and discussion, which might make an interesting thread in itself,(with examples.)

Mar 06, 2013 at 04:36 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Timballic, if you are interested in such topics, you could participante in the monthly alt competition. You might enjoy it IMHO

Mar 06, 2013 at 05:00 AM
briantho
• • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Fantastic images guys. I tried to pick a fav, but they're all so great I just can't.

You should send a link to this thread to the norweigan tourist buerau.

Edit: To give at least some feedback, I would have prefered 24 and 25 to be with wider aperture for a smoother background. Just my preference. Still great.

Mar 06, 2013 at 01:29 PM
Bobu
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Thanks briantho! The problem with shooting 24/25 at wider aperture is, that even now the fishheads are not completely in focus. At wider apertures it would have been just one eye and the images would loose something in my opinion.

Boris

Mar 07, 2013 at 01:01 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Sorry for being more than two months late but I only happened across this thread now. All I can say wow!! Those are really spectacular photos from both of you. They seem to get better by each visit

May 19, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Bobu
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Thanks Luka!

May 19, 2013 at 08:37 AM
forestmage
• • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

It's near impossible for me to pick a favourite as there are so many stunning photographs of a beautiful place.

May 19, 2013 at 12:07 PM
philber
• • • • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Lofoten - 2 FM guys with Leica M9 and Sony Nex

Thanks, Luka and Forestmage

May 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.