Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Would You Buy A Repaired 500/4 AI-P?

jhinkey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Would You Buy A Repaired 500/4 AI-P?

I have a chance to buy a 500/4 AI-P that is in decent condition for $2K, but it's pretty obvious from the pictures that the seller (local on CL) has sent that the lens had likely taken a fall and broken the protective front element in it's past. This element has been replaced and the threads that hold it in have been re-shaped a bit to allow the retaining ring to be unscrewed - part of the repair process. Externally it looks fine, but you can see the rub marks on the retaining threads.

My concern is that the lens, though repaired, may be optically compromised. Without shooting with it for a bit and without any reference to judge it's sharpness I'm concerned of getting a sub-standard copy.

Since it's a craigslist offering it's mine once I fork over the cash and walk away.

What do you guys think?

I'd mainly use it for long distance landscape-like images as I do my 400/5.6 ED AI, but when I need more reach and atmospheric conditions permit.

Thanks - John

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:04 PM
bikemore
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Would You Buy A Repaired 500/4 AI-P?

Nope. Who knows what else may be out of alignment. Another one will pop up that works better for you.

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:49 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Would You Buy A Repaired 500/4 AI-P?

I'd want to see a receipt from the professional repair place where it was fixed.

Kent in SD

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:56 PM
84FJ60
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Would You Buy A Repaired 500/4 AI-P?

Probably not. It's just not worth the risk. You can get clean used copies for just a little bit more money.

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:04 AM
jhinkey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Would You Buy A Repaired 500/4 AI-P?

Thanks guys - I declined it at $2k - he'd have to be down at the $1500 mark to get me interested to take the chance.

I've been interested in a 600/5.6 AI-S or a 500/4 AI-P for a while and I'll keep looking.

- John

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:30 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Would You Buy A Repaired 500/4 AI-P?

I wouldn't get that either, John, not when KEH has one for $300 more, and a six month warranty, in EX condition.

(Just the friendly NMFAS advocate posting a hint )

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:30 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.