FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Need some feedback!

Tread

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some feedback!

Hello Forum, lend me your best C&C! Finished this image last night, and I'm really quite fond of it, and proud of how it turned out. I post my work to 500px, and thought this would get a good reception, but it hasn't really been so. Don't understand that site sometimes. Maybe this image just doesn't resonate with people for some reason? Would love to hear your thoughts.

BTW, this is in Death Valley high country, in a joshua tree grove. Shot early in the morning to catch the rising moon amongst the summer constellations. Shot while on a tour with Marc Adamus. Exposure blend of one image for sky, one for foreground detail, and a shot to properly expose the moon. Sky was iso5000, f2.8, 20 secs. Nikon d600 and 17-35 f2.8

Thanks!

http://pcdn.500px.net/27150649/c6084f20488d47c3ed8081e11eb33652935ca75f/4.jpg

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:37 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some feedback!

Well, I like it!
Also, the fact that you explained what you did first! Because, that can be bad... !

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:40 PM
kellyakinsart
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some feedback!

I think it's fantastic. The colors, the stars, and you you even got a shooting star!
Please post more.

Kelly

Mar 01, 2013 at 01:51 PM
_Rob_S_
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some feedback!

Well, here's my take: The sky is awesome, great job! And you handled the moon well too. For me though, the foreground elements seem a bit "muddy". Too far underexposed to make them a focal point but too much exposure to be silhouettes. Not saying it's good or bad, just my opinion. I'd bring them up just a bit for some foreground pop.

Rob

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:00 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some feedback!

The processing is fantastic, you did a great job with that. For me, the initial view was appealing, but then in my minds eye, the moon just seems to push it over edge. A couple reasons, first my mind can't except that the moon could be seen there and also all the stars. Second, visually the golden area on the horizon indicates light from the sun, but then there is the moon right next to it.

So perhaps it's the disbelief the moon adds to the shot that is causing it not to be accepted by the public? The image shows great processing skills, but just because we can seamlessly add an element or enhance an element, doesn't mean we should. I think the end result needs to one of a view of reality, but I think the moon is taking it beyond that.

I hope that helps,

Jim

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some feedback!

I like the image and it is technically very sound, you have done a god job at it.

However, I do think that compositionally, it is a bit lacking. My eye moves left and right and left and right from the two trees. The vertical keystone also bothers me a bit, I would correct it. I would also crop out the chopped leftmost tree as it draws the eye out of the frame.

I also agree with Mr JimFox's assesment

I hope that helps!

Keep on rocking

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:10 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some feedback!

You did a fantastic job of creating it...and it sorta does have a WOW factor...but it quickly diminishes because to me it felt the sides end too abruptly...i want to see more of it. The joshua trees in front take up too much space and interrupt the flow...like watching a game..and your seats are between 2 pillars

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:23 PM
Tread

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some feedback!

_Rob_S_ wrote:
Well, here's my take: The sky is awesome, great job! And you handled the moon well too. For me though, the foreground elements seem a bit "muddy". Too far underexposed to make them a focal point but too much exposure to be silhouettes. Not saying it's good or bad, just my opinion. I'd bring them up just a bit for some foreground pop.

Rob

Thanks for your opinion Rob. I agree. I didn't really have alot to work with for the foreground. The floor does look muddy because I didn't get it focus. This was a rushed shot, and I was trying to get alot of things done in a short amount of time. Expose the sky, get the trees in focus, get a little light on them... the thing I missed was getting the middle ground in focus, and since I was at 2.8, that made it harder. It's a lesson learned! If I tried to bring them up more, they are just too messy, and I felt it started to distract. I have some decent detail and exposure in the trees, but I thought them being darker, with just a tad bit of detail worked best. Perhaps not...

Thanks again!

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:31 PM
Tread

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some feedback!

JimFox wrote:
The processing is fantastic, you did a great job with that. For me, the initial view was appealing, but then in my minds eye, the moon just seems to push it over edge. A couple reasons, first my mind can't except that the moon could be seen there and also all the stars. Second, visually the golden area on the horizon indicates light from the sun, but then there is the moon right next to it.

So perhaps it's the disbelief the moon adds to the shot that is causing it not to be accepted by the public? The image shows
...Show more

Yeah I hear you Jim, I guess I was trying to get the best of both worlds. The moon was in fact there, and I could clearly see it of course, as in it wasn't blown out. The view of the sky is of course exaggerated in post, but I see what you are saying about how the two shouldn't really exist together. I just didn't want to have the moon be blown out, as might 'feel' more natural, or have the sky less starry so that a crisp moon felt natural... yeah I dunno. Dillema!

Thanks for your input. Something to think about.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:39 PM
Tread

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some feedback!

Guari wrote:
I like the image and it is technically very sound, you have done a god job at it.

However, I do think that compositionally, it is a bit lacking. My eye moves left and right and left and right from the two trees. The vertical keystone also bothers me a bit, I would correct it. I would also crop out the chopped leftmost tree as it draws the eye out of the frame.

I also agree with Mr JimFox's assesment

I hope that helps!

Keep on rocking

Good point Guari, by keystone, you mean the slight leaning in of the trees? And yes, very much agree about the left most tree. Not sure why I didn't even think to get rid of it.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:41 PM
Tread

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need some feedback!

Sunny Sra wrote:
You did a fantastic job of creating it...and it sorta does have a WOW factor...but it quickly diminishes because to me it felt the sides end too abruptly...i want to see more of it. The joshua trees in front take up too much space and interrupt the flow...like watching a game..and your seats are between 2 pillars

I think you are right sunny. Wider would have been better. I shot a test comp further back(it's unusable, as it was just a test), but looking at it after the fact, I think it is a better shot. I got input from someone else, in the moment, that zoomed in a bit would work better, so I went with it and second guessed myself. Blast!

next time.

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:43 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need some feedback!

Tread wrote:
Good point Guari, by keystone, you mean the slight leaning in of the trees? And yes, very much agree about the left most tree. Not sure why I didn't even think to get rid of it.

Yes, what I meant was the converging verticals due to shooting with the camera pointed up..

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:17 PM
Callisto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need some feedback!

Impressive! I see a combination of elements that make a very lovely and interesting scene. I agree that the moon seems out of place in an astronomical way. But visually you caught my attention. You have an artistic gift and you should continue to explore it. - RC

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:32 PM
teked
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Need some feedback!

Amazing stuff!

Cheers,
Ed

Mar 02, 2013 at 08:37 AM
Chris Tylko
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Need some feedback!

Technically a great shot but the composition kills it. Ideally I'd want to see it without the two Joshua's in the immediate foreground. You can try to rescue the shot by cropping out everything to the left of the left-side Joshua but you end up with a square frame that really screams for a pano view.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:35 PM
Tread

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Need some feedback!

Chris Tylko wrote:
Technically a great shot but the composition kills it. Ideally I'd want to see it without the two Joshua's in the immediate foreground. You can try to rescue the shot by cropping out everything to the left of the left-side Joshua but you end up with a square frame that really screams for a pano view.

Thanks for your feedback Chris. That seems to be consensus... the composition is no good! ARGH. It's all good. Back to the drawing board. Luckily this place is not too far away for me. Think I will head back next weekend.

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:33 PM
jsuro
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Need some feedback!

Excellent fantasy image. And Peter Lik would say it was right out of the camera .

Jose

Mar 02, 2013 at 05:55 PM
jsuro
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Need some feedback!

Excellent fantasy image. And Peter Lik would say it was right out of the camera .

Jose

Mar 02, 2013 at 05:57 PM
Twisties
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Need some feedback!

I can't contribute to the analysis, but wanted to say that I am learning from the discussion. Thanks for posting your question Tread, and thanks everyone else for taking the time to provide some input! Great thing about this board!

Mar 02, 2013 at 06:40 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Need some feedback!

Well done Ted. As others have mentioned great job on PP. The sky looks great. The separate exposure for the moon worked so good that it looks unrealistic. You have to be there to believe it.The composition is not the greatest. This composition (wider) taken earlier in the night with the milky way more vertical might have worked better. IMHO
Harsha

Mar 02, 2013 at 06:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.