Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · New lights just came in

jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New lights just came in

jofoto photo wrote:
o gawd more great night pics on the way

Not from tomorrows wedding. It ends at 4pm. But I will still be using my new lights to add some depth to the reception shots and B&G portraits.

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:05 PM
lindabrowne
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New lights just came in

If I didn't just buy another body I could be ordering those sooner. Wow -- sweet! Off to check them out and start budgeting for them.
Looking forward to your review of them! Have fun tomorrow.

Mar 01, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Corojo
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New lights just came in

curious...curious. Currently using Quantum TDs w/Lumedyne mega-cycler (2 port DC battery) for location work. Using an old (out for production) Lumednye AC cycler for reception room lights. Would love to have on camera control of lighting ratios - wonder if an ac cycler is in the works?

Mar 02, 2013 at 12:18 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New lights just came in

I'll definitely be watching for reports.

Mar 02, 2013 at 01:12 AM
kwhaley29
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New lights just came in

These look pretty interesting. Can you power the flash without the power pack (for example when you have the flash on camera?). I noticed in the manual it says there is a Ni-MH battery available but I didn't see anything on the site.

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:52 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New lights just came in

kwhaley29 wrote:
These look pretty interesting. Can you power the flash without the power pack (for example when you have the flash on camera?). I noticed in the manual it says there is a Ni-MH battery available but I didn't see anything on the site.

Not that I am aware of. I will say that after shooting a wedding all day today, and using a lot of light, I had plenty of power left over! None of the batteries dipped below half charge. Impressive!!

Mar 02, 2013 at 11:39 PM
CanonPhotog

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New lights just came in

Those look very interesting, Jim. How much do the batteries weigh? They look very small. I'm surprised by the 900 pops per charge figure from such a small battery.

Mar 03, 2013 at 01:56 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New lights just came in

CanonPhotog wrote:
Those look very interesting, Jim. How much do the batteries weigh? They look very small. I'm surprised by the 900 pops per charge figure from such a small battery.

They weight maybe a pound or two. Not much really.

Mar 03, 2013 at 02:27 AM
spink
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New lights just came in

Where did you buy these from?

Mar 04, 2013 at 12:48 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New lights just came in

cheetahstand.com sells them.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:18 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

spink
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New lights just came in

Thanks.

Mar 04, 2013 at 02:48 AM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New lights just came in

How do the trigger-based adjustments work with multiple triggers? Do they stay in sync? I tried to make use of that feature on the RadioPopper JrX Studio set with our White Lightnings, but with two shooters the system would act weird.

Mar 04, 2013 at 05:56 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New lights just came in

Ryan Britton wrote:
How do the trigger-based adjustments work with multiple triggers? Do they stay in sync? I tried to make use of that feature on the RadioPopper JrX Studio set with our White Lightnings, but with two shooters the system would act weird.

This! The only system I have seen work in that way with multiple triggers is the YN-622C... which fires the other photographers shoe mounted flash in a two camera setup (very wierd).

The jrX does not work well (as noted), and the pixel kings go absolutely nuts.

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:23 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New lights just came in

How much?

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:28 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · New lights just came in

Nvmnd
Damn they are expensive.

Mar 04, 2013 at 10:33 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · New lights just came in

Ryan Britton wrote:

Each trigger can set the power levels of the lights independent of the other triggers. If you want the same power from each trigger you simply set them to match each other.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:03 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · New lights just came in

hardlyboring wrote:
Nvmnd
Damn they are expensive.

About the same as what you would pay for 600 ex-rt's.

Mar 04, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · New lights just came in

jcolman wrote:
Each trigger can set the power levels of the lights independent of the other triggers. If you want the same power from each trigger you simply set them to match each other.

That sounds very useful. So if trigger 1 is set to 1/8 power and trigger 2 is set to 1/16, no matter what order they're taking shots in they get the power level requested (assuming the light has fully recycled)? With the RPs whoever had the last setting "wins" since it doesn't reset on each shot.

Mar 04, 2013 at 06:21 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · New lights just came in

Ok, here are a few photos from Saturdays wedding, using the Cheetah lights in a "real world" setting. Some of the pics are a bit boring content-wise but I included them only to show you what I did with the lights.

As I mentioned earlier, I was very impressed with the reliability of these lights as well as the tremendous longevity of the power packs.

1. A very large group shot, lit with two CL-180's. One light, camera right, was bounced into a large umbrella with silver lining. The other light was bare bulb, on camera left. Sunlight provided the back lighting.

2. The reception took place in a large white tent. The lighting challenge was that one end was very bright while the other end was a dark hole. In the shot below, I had two lights, on the far left and far right, bouncing off the white walls to provide light on the groom getting ready for the garter toss. My third light was in the far right back corner on the "bright side" of the room, aimed at the center of the floor.

Outside, one light firing thru a shoot-thru umbrella.

Bride dancing with her dad. Three lights, all aimed at the center of the floor instead of bouncing off the walls.

One light, bare, aimed at the B&G to provide a touch of fill.

6. Forgot to add this one. During the ceremony, I had two lights in each of the "bright" corners, aimed at the altar so I would have some nice light on the couple. A third light was bounced off the white tent ceiling behind me to add a bit of fill.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:38 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · New lights just came in

Thanks for sharing this serves as good review of real-life test instead of controlled environment test that most marketing material pushes.

Mar 04, 2013 at 09:50 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password