Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Zeiss 15 for Canon and CP

howardg
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 15 for Canon and CP

I am considering the Zeiss 15mm for Canon vs the Canon 17mm TSE as ultrawide alternatives. I was drawn to the Zeiss because it seems much easier to use filters as opposed to the lens cap modificatiions needed for the Canon 17 to hold filters. In particular I am interested in using ND and polarizers (despite the potential for uneven polarization)

However, I read in one review that the Zeiss 95mm CP will only fir the Nikon version of the lens. Can anyone confirm this?

Would the far less expensive B+W 95mm Kaesemann Circular Polarizer MRC Filter fit (I understand the problem is in fitting within the lens hood? Does anyone have experience with what will and will not work with the Canon mount version of the Zeiss in terms of high quality ND and CP filters?

Thanks.

Howard

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:54 PM
tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 15 for Canon and CP

Hmm. I don't have the Zeiss CP, but Zeiss advertises the lens and it's filters working together. I've used a Marumi CP on the ZE mount version with no problems. I too want to stack CP and a ND, but that is problematic. Even with the thinnest CP/ND combo I can find, there is vignetting in the deep corners.

I'm planning on removing the ND from it's ring and placing inside the front threads of the CP, hoping I can avoid vignetting. I think there's a possibility that might work.

-Tim

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:30 AM
howardg
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 15 for Canon and CP

Thanks Tim. At least now I know the Marumi works. If you go to the Zeiss Canon 15mm reviews on B&H Photo, one of the 4 reviewers note that the Zeiss CP will not fit on the ZE mount lens. I have also had the experience where the proper sized B&W CP would not fit a Zeiss lens (I no longer remember which one it was) because of s slight lip outside the threads of the polarizer.

I have to say at between 500-600 bucks that Zeiss CP is awfully expensive, particularly when the presumably high quality B&W multicoated one is half the price.

Sort of a tough choice between the Zeiss 15 and the Canon 17 TSE, bith have their pluses and minuses.

Howard

Mar 01, 2013 at 02:52 AM
tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 15 for Canon and CP

Just make sure the CP you get is thin and not oversized....I think B+W call them extra wide or something like that. Pretty sure they won't fit.

Don't write off the Marumi....$150 from Amazon allows me to think about mounting an ND inside one and still have another one without. Around $300 for two of them. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have the Zeiss. But my informal testing of a 82mm Zeiss, Singh-Ray, and Marumi left me comfortable with the purchase of the 95mm Marumi for the 15. Singh-Ray doesn't make a 95mm polarizer, and the $500+ for the Zeiss was too salty.

If you look at this thread

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1147087/2

all of my waterfall shots were taken with the Zeiss 15mm and Marumi Super DHG polarizer.

-Tim

Mar 01, 2013 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password