Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

sushmit
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Hi Guys,

I was a very frequent member of fredmiranda and then I lost touch with photography for almost 3 years and with a lot of suggestions from other members I am back, I bought a 5D Mark I and with my trust old 50mm f/1.4 started shooting for a local newspaper.

My first assignment is to take a photo of a person known as the wine guy and the second was to photograph Ellen Fulman an inventor of the long string instrument, apart from that I also photographed a few portraits which I wanted to share for critiques and suggestions.

Thanks and very excited to be doing photography again

The Wine Guy

Master of Strings

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:18 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Lighting on faces isn't ideal on first two.

First: Overhead fixtures cause brow to shade eyes. The solution is raise camera (stand on chair or step stool) and have subject look up until the light reaches the eyes.

Second: Flash on a bracket over lens would have allowed preserving ambience and getting better lighting / exposure on her face.

Third: Better lighting on that one.

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:35 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

cgardner wrote:
Lighting on faces isn't ideal on first two.

First: Overhead fixtures cause brow to shade eyes. The solution is raise camera (stand on chair or step stool) and have subject look up until the light reaches the eyes.

Second: Flash on a bracket over lens would have allowed preserving ambience and getting better lighting / exposure on her face.

Third: Better lighting on that one.

+1... Chuck has said it far better than I could have.

Mar 01, 2013 at 12:55 PM
sushmit
• •
p.1 #4 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Hi thanks chuck and oldrattler, I agree with your suggestions but I have a few limitations,
for the first photo I have 2 mins time with the wine guy, I will write to him again for another shot and if he agrees I will certainly do what you suggested, is there something that can be done via post processing to make it look better?

For photo 2 I would love to use a flash but I am restricted to available light, is there something else you can suggest.

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate it

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:15 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Took a stab at some color work and a crop. Has a few issues yet, but it shows a direction you can take the color. Wasn't sure how tight to crop, given the extensive amount of wine surrounding him ... so here's but one option.

+1 @ eye sockets.

Edited on Mar 01, 2013 at 07:27 PM · View previous versions

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sushmit
• •
p.1 #6 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Thanks a lot Rusty, I understand what you guys are getting at

Mar 01, 2013 at 07:05 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Although post processing can't completely fix bad lighting, you can by selections and adjustments to exposure, hue/saturation, mid-tone contrast, and sharpening, and color balance adjustments reduce the problems.

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:32 PM
sushmit
• •
p.1 #8 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Thanks auntipode, I love the comments you and rusty give, I am not sure how much I can make this photo better but from next time these two photos will guide me to take better shots.

Do you have any suggestions for the second and third photo?

Mar 01, 2013 at 10:54 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Second has a lens flare/haze that dulls the image. The top of the frame of her glasses obscures her eyes. Her face is it shadow. Composition needs a trim from the right. (Also, try to post no larger than 1024 pixels.)

Third has a problem with sharpness. Perhaps your intent was to make the image about the spot on the forehead, but that doesn't work to my eyes. The child's eyes are not in focus - a critical fault in photographing someone. With an f1.4 lens wide open, it's critical to focus on at least the leading eye and preferably both. If you want to include more, such as the spot, shoot with a smaller aperture for greater depth of field.

Mar 02, 2013 at 02:28 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Wine guy and master of strings and others- Portrait

Tried to bring a little more selective focus toward the eyes.

Mar 02, 2013 at 03:51 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password