Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 18% gray card with lanyard

jsjames

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 18% gray card with lanyard

Looking for suggestions on a gray card "set" that's on a lanyard that is a true 18%. I see many reviews on multiple sites that say this is a great set but it's not true 18% gray. Not sure how much it will matter, but i figured if I'm going to try and set my white balance in my camera, I might as well get the proper tone.

I'm looking for the lanyard option to fit in my bag and not be too big.

Thanks,
Jeff

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:05 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · 18% gray card with lanyard

Lots of good stuff here:

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:08 PM
dlabrecque
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 18% gray card with lanyard

Lastolite makes a nice foldable fabric one in various sizes. the 12 incher folds up to about a 4" size. I suppose you could put a lanyard on the zipper pull, but frankly, I think lanyards get in the way and tend to get wound around something expensive and breakable.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:23 PM
jsjames

p.1 #4 · 18% gray card with lanyard

dcains wrote:
Lots of good stuff here:

http://michaeltapesdesign.com/whibal.html

I like the Pocket kit, thanks!
Does anyone find that the credit card size would be too small taking the picture of?

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:24 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 18% gray card with lanyard

I have the pocket kit, and while I don't use it very often, the size hasn't been a problem.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:27 PM
jsjames

p.1 #6 · 18% gray card with lanyard

dlabrecque wrote:
Lastolite makes a nice foldable fabric one in various sizes. the 12 incher folds up to about a 4" size. I suppose you could put a lanyard on the zipper pull, but frankly, I think lanyards get in the way and tend to get wound around something expensive and breakable.

Thanks I have two good options now. I agree with that statement about the lanyard, good thing to think about. Plus this would be bigger than the credit card sized one.
hmm...

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 18% gray card with lanyard

Don't worry about the 18%. Most of the gurus today say that 18% is actually a little too dark for best white balance on digital cameras. You just want something that is:
- neutral gray
- durable/will stand up to use
- will not soil easily/can be cleaned/will not change color quickly

I have the old version of the whibal and it is fine. If you have interest in creating custom color profiles for you camera, you may want to consider the Xrite Passport as an alternative. It addresses both white balance and color profile issues.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:29 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · 18% gray card with lanyard

X-Rite Colorchecker Passport
http://xritephoto.com/ph_product_overview.aspx?id=1257

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · 18% gray card with lanyard

Try metering off the palm of your hand. I bet it will be close enough. I carry two of them wherever I go.

Mar 01, 2013 at 06:02 AM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #10 · 18% gray card with lanyard

If I was going to go to the trouble to do this I'd get a Sydercube so that you can set black and clipping levels as well as white balance.

Mar 03, 2013 at 11:01 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 18% gray card with lanyard

Mike V wrote:
If I was going to go to the trouble to do this I'd get a Sydercube so that you can set black and clipping levels as well as white balance.

the absurd Christmas ornament.

Mar 03, 2013 at 03:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · 18% gray card with lanyard

Occasionally I use the old (better I think) portable whibal card set. The Spydercube is far too bulky for the surface size. Normally I use the lighter card as the midtones are close enough in natural or photoflash light. What is the light source that is giving you a problem?

EBH

Mar 03, 2013 at 05:10 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password