Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

paparazzinick
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

So I've been emailing and calling the bride to get the final details and final payment. She's been busy with work with 16 hour days 6 days a week. She works where my mom does that's how I know she was stressed out. Yesterday she sends me the details and says to send her a link to pay by credit. Ok done and done.

Today we are emailing about small details and then out of nowhere I get an email.

Nick

We have postponed the wedding. Sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you. Do I still have to pay you?

Bride

My response should be. Ummm yea, the only inconvenience is on you. I was actually looking forward to shooting the wedding. Actually now that I'm not shooting, ill have some time with my family. So I'm not inconvenienced at all. As for payment, yes you still owe me what is legally contracted between us that you agreed upon.

My real response. Haha

Bride

I am sorry to hear this news. I was really looking forward to this weekend. I will pray the sun shines bright for you and things look up. As for payment, it is now 28 days late and is due immediately. I understand if you need a few days to clear your mind and let this weekend pass. When you are ready, please make the final payment via the link I sent you earlier. Since we would like to still work with you one day, please take the attached voucher as credit for money you paid towards any future services you may need from us.

Warmest regards

Nick

Ok now that I vented. What am I gonna do this weekend? I was really looking forward to it. Maybe ill do a personal project instead.

I'm not too concerned about her paying me. If she fights it ill just push legal on her.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:52 AM
Jamesbjenkins
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Well played. I had a similar situation a couple of years ago when I didn't have a clue how to run a business, and I didn't handle it properly.

I vote for a personal project this weekend.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:10 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Go camping with the family or something.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:28 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Personal project it is. But each family member has to help or play a role.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:37 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

So your keeping/requesting the full payment and not just a retainer?

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Nathan Padgett wrote:
So your keeping/requesting the full payment and not just a retainer?

For a cancellation four days prior to the event? Of course he is.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:48 AM
julieawhitlock
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Please tell us if you actually get it. I like surprise endings!

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:51 AM
TheGE
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

I'm not sure you're entitled to money that would've gone out for cost of goods. Like if an album was contracted for, since now you're not paying to make an album, you wouldn't be entitled to keep the amount of what that would've cost you. In other words, you're probably not legally entitled to *more* than you would've normally profited.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:04 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Ian Ivey wrote:
For a cancellation four days prior to the event? Of course he is.

Just about anytime a bride cancels on you, it's usually unlikely you'll have time to book another client. At least that has been my experience. So I really don't see why four days prior would make much of a difference.

I wouldn't feel right about keeping the full payment since no work is being done. Yes, you've lost a job and income opportunity, but you should expect that these things will happen time to time and the retainer should high enough for it not to be a total loss.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:34 AM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

I would have said it's due 30 days before the rescheduled date... with a new retainer.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:42 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Nathan: lose out on income if you want but you won't find venues etc doing that...

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:42 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Just about anytime a bride cancels on you, it's usually unlikely you'll have time to book another client. At least that has been my experience. So I really don't see why four days prior would make much of a difference.

I wouldn't feel right about keeping the full payment since no work is being done. Yes, you've lost a job and income opportunity, but you should expect that these things will happen time to time and the retainer should high enough for it not to be a total loss.

Ok so she is technically my employer for this week. She failed as a company so now I will have to file for unemployment for loss of work. Since she's the employer then she pays.

Get where I'm coming from! Having a well written contract saves your ass for instances like this.

O yeah. She wasn't getting an album. Just my time and edited photos on a DVD.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:58 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Nathan Padgett wrote:

I wouldn't feel right about keeping the full payment since no work is being done.

If a bride cancels months in advance, there's significant opportunity to rebook, or, even if you don't rebook a wedding, there's time to plan other work or valuable activity.

I'm surprised to hear a photographer say "since no work is being done." I expect that from clients, but I tend to think photographers know better.

I once had someone cancel the day before the wedding, and the client's request for partial refund was along that line of reasoning. She called the money a windfall, which I found simultaneously funny and insulting, and had to edit and re-edit my reply before sending it. (I'm a laid-back guy and quick to accommodate people, but I also go out of my way to respect other people's time and effort, and having people undervalue my time and effort frustrates me.)

Perhaps you meant to say no "further" work is being done, which would be a fair characterization. But a cancellation is not just a big refund of useful time -- it is not a windfall.

What costs does short-notice cancellation impose? It voids the value of all the time and effort I've spent on, among other things, negotiating with and preparing the client, shooting engagement photos, researching and scouting the location and suitable spots for bridal-party photos. It usually robs me of future business -- since most of our business comes from bridal party members, guests, and other referrals. It means I've got a blank spot where activity should be, which is another source of new business (i.e., just doing and showing wedding work keeps me visible). And any activity I can slap together at the last minute is likely to be of lower value to me than activity I have time to plan out in advance.

I applaud the OP's voucher offer, and think that's the right move. Full amount due, credit for re-booking within a year. I do that, too, because I think it's the best way to re-capture the referral business if the bride does rebook within the time limit while insuring against the risk the client doesn't reschedule.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:59 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

TTLKurtis wrote:
Nathan: lose out on income if you want but you won't find venues etc doing that...

Exactly! Even if she didn't make final payments yet to the venue, she still owes them. If she decides she's not paying then a simple lien on her home will make sure the venue gets paid.

Out of 300+ weddings, this is my 4th time ever having a cancellation. Never had an issue with a bride having to follow through with her agreed contract.

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:05 AM
joshua grasso
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

nice response

Feb 28, 2013 at 04:26 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

paparazzinick wrote:
What am I gonna do this weekend?

Work on some editing?

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:17 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

D. Diggler wrote:
Work on some editing?

I'm gonna add that in to the personal project. Part of my goals for 2013 is to take negative situations and turn then into learning and building situations.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:17 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

paparazzinick wrote:
So I've been emailing and calling the bride to get the final details and final payment. She's been busy with work with 16 hour days 6 days a week.

What am I gonna do this weekend?

Write a book about how 96-hour work weeks result in failed marriages.

Feb 28, 2013 at 02:14 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

Nikon_14 wrote:
Write a book about how 96-hour work weeks result in failed marriages.

It will be the shortest book ever. 1 page

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:26 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Bride cancelled for this weekend

So I heard from bride. She is not happy she has to pay but did say she figured that would happen.

She did ask if I could do some design services for her since I do design work. So we may work out a deal to do some stuff for her. So looks like I will be working for this bride after. Just not as a photographer

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:27 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password