Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Joshua at Twilight

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Joshua at Twilight

This picture was taken at the first signs of dawn. The twilight filled the sky with a dark blue color as I let the shutter open for 20 seconds. I was able to keep ISO fairly low at around 640.
You can still see some stars about to get washed out. I hope you like it. - Fred

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    TS-E17mm f/4L lens    17mm    f/7.1    20s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:16 AM
toddlambert
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Joshua at Twilight

Love it. Joshua Tree is one of my favorite spots in SC.

Nice light painting too. :-)

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:24 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Joshua at Twilight

This is great Fred. I like the emphasis on the landscape with the stars being incidental. The blue sky fits better with this pre dawn light. How did you light the Josua tree? It is well done.

I attempted some moonlit shots last night but got uneven sky illumination. I think I need less moonlight. I used your suggestion of ISO640 but still had lots of noise to deal with. I look forward to your workflow on night shots that you hinted at recently.

I used my 16-35 and should have used the 17TSE and accepted the slower lens for the better optics.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:30 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Joshua at Twilight

Beautiful work fred.
Harsha

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:57 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Joshua at Twilight

Excellence shot.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:19 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Joshua at Twilight

You did a great job lighting the tree Fred. That adds a lot to the pretty sky and balances the glow in the other corner.

Morris

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:30 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · Joshua at Twilight

toddlambert wrote:
Love it. Joshua Tree is one of my favorite spots in SC.

Nice light painting too. :-)

Thanks Todd,
This was my first visit. I was there for the weekend and could not even scratch the surface. So many photography opportunities...

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:48 AM
Phrasikleia
• •
p.1 #8 · Joshua at Twilight

Just the right amount of light on that tree to give it the right balance. It also looks as though you probably gelled your light source; the warm color temperature blends in nicely. Charming photo.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:18 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Joshua at Twilight

nice composition

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:39 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Joshua at Twilight

Wonderful image Fred!

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Joshua at Twilight

This is such a lovely shot, Fred! I am immensely drawn to the light painted tree shape which is in good harmony with the rest of the scene, dancing clouds, dancing Joshua trees, and dancing horizontal lines.. perfect!!!

Kee

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:10 PM
johnmfisk

p.1 #12 · Joshua at Twilight

Fred,

gorgeous shot. Really lovely composition, and the lighting is beautiful. As others have noted, the Joshua tree has just the right amount of light to capture your initial attention. Then you notice the silhouettes of the other background trees, the low-hanging clouds, the faint glimmer of the stars...

Very nice.

John

Feb 28, 2013 at 05:56 PM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Joshua at Twilight

Very nice image, Fred! What did you use to paint the light on the tree?

-Nick

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:17 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Joshua at Twilight

Hey Fred,

What a really cool shot. You picked the perfect time to shoot this, I like the blend of light in it. The foreground is lit up perfectly too, just enough detail to give interest.

Jim

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #15 · Joshua at Twilight

What an excellent shot. I've been wanting to try and capture scenes like this.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #16 · Joshua at Twilight

ben egbert wrote:
This is great Fred. I like the emphasis on the landscape with the stars being incidental. The blue sky fits better with this pre dawn light. How did you light the Josua tree? It is well done.

I attempted some moonlit shots last night but got uneven sky illumination. I think I need less moonlight. I used your suggestion of ISO640 but still had lots of noise to deal with. I look forward to your workflow on night shots that you hinted at recently.

I used my 16-35 and should have used the 17TSE and accepted the slower lens
...Show more

Hi Ben,
Without using a tracking device, I usually start 15-20s exposures at ISO 640 because it is still pretty clean with the Canon 5D III. Whenever needed, I push it to ISO 1250 knowing that some noise reduction would be required in post. I usually illuminate the foreground at the end of the exposure. Say, last 4 or 5 seconds in this case. I also try to lit it from the sides instead of straight on. Take care, Fred

Mar 01, 2013 at 05:29 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Joshua at Twilight

Fred Miranda wrote:
Hi Ben,
Without using a tracking device, I usually start 15-20s exposures at ISO 640 because it is still pretty clean with the Canon 5D III. Whenever needed, I push it to ISO 1250 knowing that some noise reduction would be required in post. I usually illuminate the foreground at the end of the exposure. Say, last 4 or 5 seconds in this case. I also try to lit it from the sides instead of straight on. Take care, Fred

Thanks Fred. I have been staying under 15 seconds even wide. But I think some of the smearing I see with the 16-35 is optics rather than motion. I don't see it with the 17TSE at similar times.

Mar 01, 2013 at 04:09 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #18 · Joshua at Twilight

Phrasikleia wrote:
Just the right amount of light on that tree to give it the right balance. It also looks as though you probably gelled your light source; the warm color temperature blends in nicely. Charming photo.

Yes, I used a red gel on my flashlight and had it set to a dimmer mode. Thanks for your comment.

Mar 01, 2013 at 08:02 PM
astro-ep
• • •
p.1 #19 · Joshua at Twilight

Very interesting shot, Fred. I gotta try my hand at some of these combo images. Looks like my neck of the woods, with all the cactus.

Eric

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:50 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Joshua at Twilight

I like it, nice colors and an inviting feel to it. Good job Fred.

Mar 01, 2013 at 09:53 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password