Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

Archive 2013 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

thrice
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

My god... more discussion of the #!%@^ live view.

We know the limitation. We also have heard it cannot be fixed via firmware. If that is a deal breaker, please, for the love of god, move on.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:33 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

I am getting the camera...pre-ordered so hopefully within 10 years I will have it ....

Going to use it as my main wide lens wedding camera. The days of carrying around a heavy D3 are gone.
I have no attachment to Leica either and would not have a problem going Fuji or Sony or who ever would make a reliable and straightforward FF rangefinder.

I have also tried some of the cameras from Sony and most of the cameras from Fuji. On paper they look great and they perform halfway decent for normal use but none are a true rangefinder and none are as straightforward or as simple as the leica.

Does it pain me to have to spend one of my kidneys and one of my wife's kidneys for the camera and some lenses... yes but at least it will work the way it is supposed to.

I for one am really looking forward to it.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:42 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

I find scrolling through magnified images for focusing is rarely useful. It's certainly a pain on the NEX-7. It's generally easier to center focus and recompose.

And it seems like most RF shooters would be accustom to that anyway, given that the RF focusing aid sits in the middle of the VF. Just think of it as that view magnified.

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:58 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

telyt wrote:
My R lenses don't have focus shift issues, and the R matte viewscreens are responsive enough and accurate enough for active birds.

or a weasel running toward the camera

Can focus peaking in an EVF keep up with these subjects?

Yes on the weasel. I haven't tried birding with the NEX-7, but the moving mammals haven't been a problem.

I think you should try the a900, Douglas. It's the closest any AF camera I've used has come to replicating the view through an R8 with matte screen.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:11 AM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

thrice wrote:
We know the limitation... If that is a deal breaker, please, for the love of god, move on.

"plus one".

The M represents a number of improvements. There may (will?) be drawbacks, but for me, I am quite keen on seeing what Leica have up their Teutonic sleeve.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:34 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

thrice wrote:

We know the limitation. We also have heard it cannot be fixed via firmware. If that is a deal breaker, please, for the love of god, move on.

I'm afraid we will see a lot of these threats in the next months. People expecting to buy a full frame mirror less and ending up with a rangefinder..

Ok, different discussion:

I'm sorry to say but that front view of the camera looks so ugly!!:

picture of lavidaleica.com

It looks a bit like the leica MD or the MDa. Couldn't they just add a illumination window just for the looks?

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:06 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

thrice wrote:

+100

Feb 28, 2013 at 06:38 AM
telyt
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

freaklikeme wrote:
I think you should try the a900, Douglas. It's the closest any AF camera I've used has come to replicating the view through an R8 with matte screen.

I'd love to be able to use my extenders on it. Deal beaker, just like Nikons. Thgere's also no off-the-shelf adapter to fit the PIGRIFF-C to A mount, so my 560mm Telyt would not be usable. I've checked.

ryankarr wrote:
Notice how I put the words "I think" in there?

I can play that game too. "I think" that unless you've used Leica-R lenses extensively, particularly the APO lenses, you should keep it to yourself unless specifically asked.

Feb 28, 2013 at 07:29 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

edwardkaraa wrote:
..... And definitely, what are R lens owners waiting for? To die from extremely old age? ....

Feb 28, 2013 at 08:30 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

I think this thread has officially jumped the rails.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:04 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

BTW, reports are coming in from around the world now that people are getting The Call.

Feb 28, 2013 at 09:33 AM
rirakuma
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

DoubleNegative wrote:
BTW, reports are coming in from around the world now that people are getting The Call.

Unfortunately for me I did get the call but its not the good one. Apparently Leica Australia won't be distributing it around here anytime soon, well thats what my dealer just told me anyway. I was pretty high up on the list so I'm feeling kinda bummed.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:29 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Ugh, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. At least on the bright side, the machinery is in motion.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:37 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

telyt wrote:
I can play that game too. "I think" that unless you've used Leica-R lenses extensively, particularly the APO lenses, you should keep it to yourself unless specifically asked.

Sorry to break it to you, but that's not how the internet works.

Feb 28, 2013 at 10:42 AM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

naturephoto1 wrote:

Isn't that what most everyone on this forum is waiting for? You're being silly.

I don't think it's wrong of anyone to want and wish a viable camera for them - especially when they are holding some of the finest telephotos ever produced.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:02 AM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

I really feel for the R users. Plasticmotif is right; they have some of the finest telephotos (and other lenses) but nothing "current" to use them on without adapters, etc.

But I think expectations might be too high on Leica. You can only support your old products for so long. Canon did the same thing moving from FD to EF.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
ryankarr
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

plasticmotif wrote:
Isn't that what most everyone on this forum is waiting for? You're being silly.

I don't think it's wrong of anyone to want and wish a viable camera for them - especially when they are holding some of the finest telephotos ever produced.

There's a difference between "wanting and wishing" and turning into a bitter internet troll that comes into every discussion and de-rails it.

Feb 28, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

I am in Switzerland today and a local Leica dealer has now started getting them in! Their first is a batch of 15. Apparently the next shipment comes in 5-6wks for them. Not sure what this means for the rest of the world though....

Feb 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

That's a pretty big batch!

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:27 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Very little action in the USA so far (only Dale), some news trickling in from Hong Kong. Oz is getting the shaft unfortunately and has to wait until mid-March looks like.

Feb 28, 2013 at 03:28 PM
1       2       3      
       5       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.