Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2013 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

DoubleNegative
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

I totally forgot to tell you guys... D'ohhh!

That new Leica M? Yeah... It's HERE!

Okay, technically you can BUY one today - but pickup will have to wait for tomorrow.

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:49 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Well Lecia brought the camera in within the time that they estimated.

Unfortunately too many issues as to limitations of the camera and unless some of these items can have a firmware fix (which Leica has indicated could not be done with firmware updates) I am out on this one.

Rich

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:55 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Well sure, "Early 2013" was a bit... Nebulous.

Which limitations are we talking about?

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

naturephoto1 wrote:
Well Lecia brought the camera in within the time that they estimated.

Unfortunately too many issues as to limitations of the camera and unless some of these items can have a firmware fix (which Leica has indicated could not be done with firmware updates) I am out on this one.

Rich

What issues?

Feb 27, 2013 at 05:56 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Check out the M240 thread; there is a long discussion there already.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:02 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Tom K. wrote:
What issues?

I have cut and pasted this from one of the Leica M240 threads:

1) Price
2) Need for EVF for using my Leica R glass. This could be a major obstacle in loading the camera in and taking it out of camera bag or backpack and carrying the camera with the EVF attached to the camera.
3) Need for R to M adapter, but I would need an adapter or Leitax my R lenses at this point for pretty much any system.
4) Inability to move (scroll) the magnified area of the EVF (and I presume the LCD screen) for the purpose of focus points.
5) Cable release shutter release only for long exposures (no electronic release at least unless you have the multifunction grip and I am not sure if even with the grip this is an option).
6) Longest Bulb setting of 60 seconds for the camera. This greatly limits my use of the camera for long exposures for example with ND filters. This may require that I carry a second camera like my Fuji X-E1 if the potential existed.
7) Must remove the bottom plate or grip to access the camera battery and Memory card. This will prove to be extremely inconvenient for a tripod mounted camera.
8) For flash usage with EVF need the special Multifunction Grip and accessories to add a 2nd hot shoe.

Rich

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:03 PM
Toothwalker
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

naturephoto1 wrote:
I have cut and pasted this from one of the Leica M240 threads:

1) Price
2) Need for EVF for using my Leica R glass. This could be a major obstacle in loading the camera in and taking it out of camera bag or backpack and carrying the camera with the EVF attached to the camera.
3) Need for R to M adapter, but I would need an adapter or Leitax my R lenses at this point for pretty much any system.
4) Inability to move (scroll) the magnified area of the EVF (and I presume the LCD screen) for the purpose of focus
...Show more

9) No anti-aliasing filter.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:04 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Toothwalker wrote:
9) No anti-aliasing filter.

No that's a benefit!

There - that should take this thread off topic for twelve pages until locked

Ken

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:18 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

^ !

Thanks for the concise list, Rich - that helps.

As for the "no anti-aliasing filter" I don't see that as a problem. That's a GOOD thing.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:19 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

What a rubbish company Leica is. They are total loosers. They can't make any electronic components right, and their products are over priced and only dentists and nouveau-riches can afford them. They should stick to making Hermes prestige cameras with lizzard and crocodile skins for the rich and famous.

Here, I summarized it all for you. Now this thread can be locked

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

^ That really says it all, Edward.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:35 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Sweet merciful crap! Very excited.

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:40 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Funny how quickly the limited number of sets sold, despite the required "kitting" with a lens and the price.

Ironically, they can't be picked up until tomorrow - when they officially launch worldwide. But who knows when the next stock will arrive...

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:30 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

DoubleNegative wrote:
Funny how quickly the limited number of sets sold, despite the required "kitting" with a lens and the price.

Ironically, they can't be picked up until tomorrow - when they officially launch worldwide. But who knows when the next stock will arrive...

Not surprising, even with all the complaints about the design I think it remains a clear improvement from the M9 and I expect strong sales, although I doubt it will grow the market for M digital shooters all that much (due to the technical limitations in comparison to CSC's). The M240 is a clear upgrade for the M shooter, but not so much for someone shooting a NEX-7, X-Pro 1 or GXR+M Module, all of whom would be giving up significant capability in choosing an M240.

Feb 27, 2013 at 07:34 PM
DoubleNegative
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Competing against other mirrorless options, you're probably right - the Leica will come up short on the feature list. But for diehard M shooters (old and new) it's most definitely... Something new. Better than the M9? Maybe. Hopefully. But remains to be seen.

Best part of my M9 though is - I'm holding it right now, and it's long since paid for.

Feb 27, 2013 at 08:28 PM
HauntedHat
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Most of the "Issues" listed in the post above are just matters of personal preference, I think. I don't normally think that Leica is perfect, but saying that the camera can't do some stuff that it isn't supposed to do is like trying to judge a cake for it's ability to fly, it's just two very different categories.

I think those issues are merely annoyances, if at all. I'm sure you could just buy a kit DSLR and be happy, then. *if that post was sarcasm, please ignore my lack of understanding, I just found it ridiculous*

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:01 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

HauntedHat wrote:
Most of the "Issues" listed in the post above are just matters of personal preference, I think. I don't normally think that Leica is perfect, but saying that the camera can't do some stuff that it isn't supposed to do is like trying to judge a cake for it's ability to fly, it's just two very different categories.

I think those issues are merely annoyances, if at all. I'm sure you could just buy a kit DSLR and be happy, then. *if that post was sarcasm, please ignore my lack of understanding, I just found it ridiculous*

Sorry to disappoint you, but it was neither a joke nor do I consider the list that I provided as ridiculous. I have been a Leica R user since 1984 (now about 29 years) with a substantial investment in 16 Leica R lenses and presently still with 3 Leica R cameras for an investment of probably well over $30,000 over the years. I am a Pro, and Leica has used my work. The points that I listed are because the camera was to have been an R "solution" and clearly it does not provide sufficient features that nature, landscape, and wildlife photographers such as myself really need (but were supplied by the film R cameras). So, many of us are still orphans without a Leica brand digital platform for the proper usage of our R lenses (including macro and long lenses) to their greatest potential.

Rich

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:13 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

HauntedHat wrote:

Flying cakes is very different. Announcing live view, and then having a non-movable focus box is more like announcing an electronic shutter release, and then having it not actually release the shutter. The feature at that point is useless or very cumbersome to a large number of users.

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:19 PM
kwalsh
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

As Rich has pointed out this was also suppose to help R users (which makes his objections much more understandable) I think Leica should be faulted in the naming of this camera. They dropped the number, you know because that was confusing, but they retained the M which is prejudicial and confusing as well. I think it should just be called the Leica " ". When talking about the camera one should pause meaningfully after saying the name "Leica" to indicate you are referring to the recent " " model.

Ken

P.S. I'm sorry, I completely understand I am contributing nothing to this conversation but am having trouble controlling myself. One of those days. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:21 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The New Leica M - Is HERE!

Feb 27, 2013 at 09:24 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password