Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Potential buyers with zero post count

Savas K
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Potential buyers with zero post count

I have been approached twice by two buyers who possess no post count, each for one of two separate items. The latest claims that he came across my post by searching on the internet for the product in question. Is there a scam going on whereby a potential buyer is actually attempting to accumulate people's PayPal addresses?

I told the person that I cannot sell to a stranger to the forum. Days later, he comes back asking why not, mentioning that he has a valid PayPal address. Still, no post count. He and the former buyer mentioned that they have eBay cred. But how are we to know that the eBay cred isn't "borrowed?" By saying they are someone whom they are not?

Feb 26, 2013 at 07:57 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Potential buyers with zero post count

FWIW, I think you are entirely justified in your skepticism about these two 'jamokes' I don't know if there is a scam going on, but it'd be a cold day in hell before I sold an item to somebody who has no posts here, no feedback here, and claims to have eBay "creds" Indeed we don't know if it's borrowed. Steer clear if I were you

Feb 26, 2013 at 08:03 PM
Wobble
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Potential buyers with zero post count

With your 7 year history and over 4000 posts, they can jolly well send you a US Postal Service Money Order, which you cash before sending the merchandise, and then you can leave feedback for them to get started. If they won't trust you doing this, why should you trust them? I have 1/10 the number of your posts and 1/4 the number of your feedback, and I am probably still considered a newbie. All of us had to start sometime. At least I attempt to contribute.

Feb 26, 2013 at 11:25 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Potential buyers with zero post count

Hadn't thought of that, Wobble. Guy's gonzo ... I deleted his PM's.

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:43 AM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Potential buyers with zero post count

The "I found your sale by an internet search" reason is at least highly plausible --- this site gets indexed really quickly, and highly ranked in Google's results. I've seen my own FM posts show up in first-page Google search results for the topic within hours of posting.

Nonetheless, better safe than sorry, so asking for USPS money orders from zero-reputation buyers is probably a good policy.

Feb 27, 2013 at 02:11 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Potential buyers with zero post count

Savas, in a situation such as you describe, I usually tell them to send me the money via cashier's cheque/money order first, and then I'd ship them the goods once the money has been recived OK. Almost without an exception I do not hear from them again, which is really a good thing. Opa

Feb 27, 2013 at 06:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

tama01

Account locked
p.1 #7 · Potential buyers with zero post count

PetKal wrote:
Savas, in a situation such as you describe, I usually tell them to send me the money via cashier's cheque/money order first, and then I'd ship them the goods once the money has been recived OK. Almost without an exception I do not hear from them again, which is really a good thing. Opa

That is interesting. Have you thought about the other side of the coin? Being myself what is referred to as a “newbie” with no feedback as of yet, I will definitely not buy feedback by way of potentially loosing my money sending you a cashier’s check, money order or the likes … doesn’t matter how high a feedback you have.

I believe there are risks for both, buyers and sellers … new and not so new. You just have to be careful I guess. My two cents.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Potential buyers with zero post count

As long as its a paypal verified address, I really don't care if they have no feedback. I've joined a few other sites for the sole purpose of buying an item. I've got 49+ positive transactions here and 6000+ posts, but on the other site I'm a potential 'scammer'. So all in all, I would still sell it. If you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:44 PM
mpmendenhall
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Potential buyers with zero post count

tama01 wrote:
... Being myself what is referred to as a “newbie” with no feedback as of yet, I will definitely not buy feedback by way of potentially loosing my money sending you a cashier’s check, money order or the likes …

One thing to keep in mind is that FredMiranda.com is not just a Buy & Sell board. The B&S is only a nice adjunct to the photography discussion forums. You can definitely build a positive reputation (at least plenty for people to trust you with regular PayPal) without "buying feedback" by participating in the discussion forum community: ask/answer questions; post pictures; share your photography experience. If you come here expecting FM to just be a photo-specific branch of eBay for anonymous gear-sale hookups, you might be disappointed.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:17 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Potential buyers with zero post count

mpmendenhall wrote:
One thing to keep in mind is that FredMiranda.com is not just a Buy & Sell board. The B&S is only a nice adjunct to the photography discussion forums. You can definitely build a positive reputation (at least plenty for people to trust you with regular PayPal) without "buying feedback" by participating in the discussion forum community: ask/answer questions; post pictures; share your photography experience. If you come here expecting FM to just be a photo-specific branch of eBay for anonymous gear-sale hookups, you might be disappointed.

That's right, Mendenhall......well articulated.

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:27 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Potential buyers with zero post count

Mr. Mendenhall: +2

Feb 28, 2013 at 01:56 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password